The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Here is just one article I found relating to the subject:

http://mississippihorses.org/images/walnuthallstory.pdf

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow Calamber, you aren't a fan. Where did you hear that she was given the outside post in the Preakness? And when was the last time a horse won from that post? Do you think all or most of her wins against males came in rigged races? Did you see her Oaks win?

I am of two minds over the nurse mare business. I understand the high dollar value of these tb babies, but I also believe each life is worthy of the best chance possible.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post

Excellent article, I hope this works out.

Interesting. I hope they also do long-term assessment on using artificial means to induce lactation to make sure they're not doing more harm in the long run, though using rescue mares means I suppose they don't have a huge number of other options, and it takes the burden off the rescue for a while to find other homes.

Doesn't any other part of the industry use nurse mares? (Besides racing, I mean.) Even if you're doing ET so your "valuable" mare isn't at risk, the host mare could still die or reject the foal or be so sick they can't nurse, which still leaves the foal hanging. I'm not sure why it should be such a novelty, unless most breeders would rather bottle-feed.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Interesting.

Doesn't any other part of the industry use nurse mares? (Besides racing, I mean.) Even if you're doing ET so your "valuable" mare isn't at risk, the host mare could still die or reject the foal or be so sick they can't nurse, which still leaves the foal hanging. I'm not sure why it should be such a novelty, unless most breeders would rather bottle-feed.
    Yes, nurse mares and the hormone shots are used in the sport horse breeding. Look under their forum for more info.

Reports from Stonestreet, and other racing ears say today Rachel is doing very well. Not out of the woods entirely, but doing well. Nice alert picture on their FB page taken outside.

Here's their website statement. No more news will be posted until Wednesday, unless there is a change.
    http://www.stonestreetfarms.com/info/?page_id=144
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, this is duplicate of above . . .

Latest update - from Bloodhorse

Doctors at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington said Monday, Feb. 18, that 2009 Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra remains stable as she recovers from abdominal surgery performed Feb. 13 following foaling complications.

"If she wasn't as smart and as strong-willed as she is," said Dr. Bonnie Barr, "she wouldn't be progressing the way she is."

While she is still listed in serious condition on the morning of Feb. 18, the 7-year-old daughter of Medaglia d'Oro was able to go for a short walk outside. She was able to eat a small amount of grass and remains bright with normal vital signs.

On Sunday, Feb. 17, a small amount of feed was introduced in addition to her intravenous fluids and nutrition. Her appetite continues to improve and attending veterinarians Dr. Bonnie Barr and Dr. Brett Woodie remain encouraged by her progress.

Rood & Riddle does not plan an update Feb. 19 unless a change in Rachel Alexandra's condition occurs. The next scheduled update is Feb. 20.
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: duplicate
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Stonestreet Farms posted an update. It's no news is good news week for Rachel - it looks like a long journey ahead. Go Girl!

"Rachel Alexandra Able To Be Taken Off IV Fluids, Nutrition
    February 23, 2013: Lexington, KY

Veterinarians at Rood & Riddle are encouraged by Rachel Alexandra’s progress as she recovers from abdominal surgery. Her appetite has improved so that, on Saturday, she was taken off of IV fluids and nutrition.

Dr. Brett Woodie said, “I couldn’t be happier with where she is right now.”

As her vital signs remain normal and her strength improves, Rachel has gone for longer walks each day and has enjoyed grazing and spending time outside. Attending veterinarians, Drs Bonnie Barr and Brett Woodie, caution that Rachel has hurdles yet to overcome, but they are pleased by her progress.

Fair Grounds fans are signing a ‘get-well’ banner for Rachel as they celebrate her career with the Grade 3 Rachel Alexandra Stakes, just one example of the outpouring of support from the industry and fans for the champion mare.

Provided her condition remains stable, look for the next update on Thursday, February 28th. We all look forward to a ‘no news is good news’ week."

http://www.stonestreetfarms.com/info/?page_id=144

I was just getting ready to post that link! Dr. Lyman is great with repro stuff, funny, and an amazing photographer! However he isn't at Walnut Hall anymore, but at Lexington Equine.

And in somewhat related news, every time I see the Bloodhorse headline about Unlimited Budget winning the Rachel Alexandra Stakes https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-win-in-rachel I wonder about her RREH bill. Good thing Stonestreet has an unlimited budget!

I am sure they would have long exhausted their limit but you can get major medical on broodmares. Given that she is likely insured for millions, not sure if they would add that on or not. I always felt a little safer when mine retired and could get major medical but I didn't have quite the pockets that Stonestreet does. Nobody has an unlimited budget however.

While I have no doubt that RA is insured, I just assumed all big time race horses were insured to the hilt until I had a conversation with a manager at Overbrook. This was when Storm Cat was still in his prime. He told me that the premiums were so expensive that they quit insuring anything but the stallions. Yes I'm sure Stonestreet has deep pockets (as Overbrook had), but everyone has their limits.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    While I have no doubt that RA is insured, I just assumed all big time race horses were insured to the hilt until I had a conversation with a manager at Overbrook. This was when Storm Cat was still in his prime. He told me that the premiums were so expensive that they quit insuring anything but the stallions. Yes I'm sure Stonestreet has deep pockets (as Overbrook had), but everyone has their limits.
    I agree with this. I know several BC winning mares that are not insured.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Rachel Alexandra underwent a surgical procedure at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital this afternoon to drain an abscess discovered this morning. Though her road toward recovery remains remarkable following abdominal surgery performed on February 13th, this is an important reminder that challenges remain.

Rachel Alexandra, bright with a good appetite after doctors at Rood & Riddle drained an abscess detected this morning.

“As part of the continuous evaluation and monitoring that Rachel is receiving at Rood & Riddle, an abscess adjacent to her reproductive tract and rectum was found this morning,” said Dr. Brett Woodie.

Rood & Riddle reported the abscess was drained successfully via a standing surgical procedure, throughout which Rachel’s vital signs remained normal. She was also bright and alert with a good appetite following this procedure and was even able to graze this afternoon.

While this type of hurdle is not unexpected, Rachel will remain at Rood & Riddle for continuous observation as she continues down what has been called “a long road” toward recovery.

Another update on her condition can be expected on Monday, March 11th unless a change in her condition were to occur sooner.

Thanks for much for the update. My jingles continue....
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Such good news!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Hurray!!!!

Aw yay, thanks so much for the update and vid!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

So glad to hear that Rachel is well enough to go home.

It will be interesting to see if she will be bred again. Obviously, they wouldn't do it this year since she's still recovering. Does anyone care to speculate about the future? She had a physical issue after her first foal, too (although it wasn't as serious as what happened this year).

If mares have problems after their first couple of foals, do they ever "outgrow" this or do they tend to have problems every time?

Those of you who think embryo transfer is a good idea in the Thoroughbred business -- have your really thought it through? How many mares would have lives as ET mares and then be worthless when they can't carry a foal anymore? What happens to them? Who breeds them? What happens to their dams? What happens if they get sick/injured during pregnancy -- is someone going to go to the same trouble to save them as they would a Rachel Alexander? Why is an ET mare's life worth less than a TB mare's? ET would just lead to more unwanted horses and more fodder for peta. If a mare can't carry a foal on her own, maybe she shouldn't have a foal!
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."