The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    I had a tear when I read that she ate a peppermint: seems poignant to me. My heart is in my throat for what is clearly a very dire situation. Come on Rachel, hang in there beautiful girl.
    Just did exactly the same thing. Raced to the computer after returning home and saw that post. Eyes just clearing now. The photo was reassuring.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

The peppermint made my heart leave my throat a little bit. I loved her from the start, and desperately hoping she comes through this.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Stonestreet's a class operation - surely they'll make sure the nurse mare's baby is cared for.
    I doubt very much whether Stonestreet has anything to do with the fate of the nursemare foals. There are "nursemare farms" that rent out nursemares. Some of the nursemare foals are rescued and raised as orphans but certainly not the majority. They are just like bob calves in the dairy industry; an inconvenient nuisance with no purpose or value. So, maybe we could also have a few jingles for the poor baby who was taken away from its mother so that she could go nurse RA's baby. Heartbreaking.

Actually they aren't completely without value. Many of them supply the high end "pony skin".
    Last edited by ptownevt; Feb. 15, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

7 members found this post helpful.

I have inquired to Stonestreet and offered to make a donation towards the orphan's care. Nurse mare's are invaluable but the product of their service doesn't have to be worthless. I know there are nurse mare foal rescues in KY that do as good of job with the orphans as possible, hopefully he/she ended up there.

Continued jingles for Rachel. Nice publicity for RAMBO blankets as Rachel is wearing one in the photo.

2 members found this post helpful.

She is also wearing Soft Ride boots.

She is definitely no 17 hands, or even 16.3. I'd guess her about 16.1 as I met her a couple of times last year photographing Taco to paint. She was sweet as pie and I'm pulling for her like mad. Barbara is a truly nice person and her heart is wrapped up in both Rachel and Hot Dixie Chick, very special horses to her. A truly class woman.

Newest release says she is feeling brighter today.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I have inquired to Stonestreet and offered to make a donation towards the orphan's care. Nurse mare's are invaluable but the product of their service doesn't have to be worthless. I know there are nurse mare foal rescues in KY that do as good of job with the orphans as possible, hopefully he/she ended up there.
    They posted on FB that they have visited the nurse mare's filly and are following up on her. Will have pictures to post this weekend!! I am so glad to read this!

And how they didn't see that coming, yeesh. Blame was clearly faster.

RA looks so sweet and vunerable in the peppermint pic. I am worried about her, too many issues left that can rise up and create more problems. Please, please, please let her make it.

Well my rather crabby comment is replying to a post on the preceding page. This thread is about Rachel, why ask questions about some other mare here?
    Last edited by Gestalt; Feb. 15, 2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Clarify my crabby post. Come on Rachel!!!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    She is also wearing Soft Ride boots.
    Yes, I saw that mentioned too.
    She has a liege of fans and well-wishers behind her. I'm happy to see that she's "brighter". A long way from being out of the woods. Continuing to send good thoughts to Rachel, her baby, Barbara B. and all the vets & connections.

Here's hoping that we continue to get positive news on Rachel. And three cheers to her vet team for all their efforts.

So I got to thinking what I would do in the wild fantasy that she were my horse. Even if she was determined by vets to be OK to breed again, I'd take a pass on that unless it could be embryo transplant (which I know is not currently allowed by JC) My decision not really be driven by anything other than gut feeling that my nerves wouldn't cope, and the old superstition thing - what's 2's is 3's...
    What I would do is figure out a job for her. She's young, my gosh, and certainly doesn't need to be a pasture puff for the rest of her life. She could be ridden, trained to another discipline, etc etc. She could help fund raise for some equine-related cause. Lots of things.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Or go to the Kentucky Horse Park for their show? She seems a friendly sort.

If she were mine, I definitely wouldn't breed her again.

Just a silly question, but I assume RA is insured.. wouldn't an insurance co. exclude breeding risks after two incidents related to foaling? I could not imagine the guilty feeling of losing her if they would try again. No amount of $$$ would be worth it.
    Waiting for today's updates.

I wonder if this may encourage the JC to revisit their rules on embryo transfer. They don't need to allow it in all cases; they could specific it for use in situations exactly like Rachel's, where a mare has proven foaling (and/or pregnancy, like Genuine Risk) is physically difficult to dangerous for her. I have no idea how the JC operates, and I don't breed, so I'm speaking strictly hypothetically as a railbird in both of those worlds.

More jingles for RA.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Lauruffian View Post
    I wonder if this may encourage the JC to revisit their rules on embryo transfer. They don't need to allow it in all cases; they could specific it for use in situations exactly like Rachel's, where a mare has proven foaling (and/or pregnancy, like Genuine Risk) is physically difficult to dangerous for her. I have no idea how the JC operates, and I don't breed, so I'm speaking strictly hypothetically as a railbird in both of those worlds.

More jingles for RA.
    Not going to happen. The stallions are worth WAY more than most of the mares and they still require live cover. JC is light years away from allowing AI, let alone ET.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Just a Hail Mary pass of hope. Oh well.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bugsynskeeter View Post
    Not going to happen. The stallions are worth WAY more than most of the mares and they still require live cover. JC is light years away from allowing AI, let alone ET.
    The danger reason is not the reason they are concerned about they are opposed to AI its a genetic control , and flooding of geographical markets.

With ET's its really very simple you allow the same number of foals a year that a mare could carry on her own to be registered. One foal a year period and only in circumstances as noted before where the mare has shown signifigent reason why carrying or caring for her own foal would pose a threat to her health. There are PLENTY of mares who's foals are removed and put with nurse mares. Wouldn't it be easier just to have them carried by a recipient mare ...it would certainly cut back on the number of orphan nurse foals created each year.
    The JC would be doing a bad horse market a great service by not helping to create extra mediocre foals and adding to the need for recp mares. Giving some mares who might find themselves in danger a job.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I remember reading an article in Blood Horse years ago about a mare who had chronic problems and always had her foals removed. She didn't require surgery like Rachel, but she had health problems herself that made the process hard on her, and there was no way she could have kept up with raising a foal. She was at a small farm that specialized in problem mares, and they managed her very carefully, but each pregnancy was a real balancing act. Maybe Empire Maker's dam? It was one with good-enough foals that you can see why they wanted to keep trying.

But I thought at the time of reading that article how stupid it was not to allow ET at least for proven cases of health issues. Maybe the publicity here will make them reconsider it, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I remember reading an article in Blood Horse years ago about a mare who had chronic problems and always had her foals removed. She didn't require surgery like Rachel, but she had health problems herself that made the process hard on her, and there was no way she could have kept up with raising a foal. She was at a small farm that specialized in problem mares, and they managed her very carefully, but each pregnancy was a real balancing act. Maybe Empire Maker's dam? It was one with good-enough foals that you can see why they wanted to keep trying.

But I thought at the time of reading that article how stupid it was not to allow ET at least for proven cases of health issues. Maybe the publicity here will make them reconsider it, but I doubt it.
    Yes, that was Toussaud. She had had a couple of very bad cases of laminitis and had foundered as a result. All of her foals were stakes-winners, I think, and she had at least 4 G-1 winners. But her feet were too fragile to withstand the stresses of caring for a foal.

Founder and laminitis are the same. Any reports today on RA?
    PennyG