The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    Gee.. thanks for all the great suggestions on keeping his feet softer. Soaking in water is just going to promote further drying again/ hardening, once the feet dry and any moisture evaporates away.

No, I"m not going to machinery to shorten his feet. And yes, we are literally breaking hoof knives. It would be lovely if people could simply answer the direct question without playing armchair vet or farrier. This horse is under the care of well reputed professionals. I think I'll take their advice as opposed to the unfounded, half informed snark coming from some of you here.

I don't feel the need to post my horse's medical history to a bunch of strangers here. Lord knows it'll come back to bite me in the ass.

So, once again: If any one can please offer suggestions for softening feet, I'd be much obliged. Thank you again.
    So you're not willing to listen to suggestions, but yet you're still asking for them? What does your vet/farrier say?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1 members found this post helpful.

It used to be CoTH was populated by folks who actually wanted to share knowledge instead of come and look their nose down on others who had a different philosophy.

It used to be CoTH was THE source to have healthy discussion based upon diverse backgrounds and experiences. Now it's populated by a bunch of half educated, self appointed 'experts'.

It used to be that horsemanship was the backbone of the US industry. Now it's a pasttime taken up by those who would rather pay someone else to handle a problem instead of doing the backbreaking work themselves, and speak with others who have done similar backbreaking work, so they could compare experiences and take into accounts different work environments, careers, goals. Used to be a bunch of old horsemen could share 'secret' recipes, therapies, compare products instead of passing judgement on half assumed guesses.

This thread pretty much confirms what I've suspected.
    Horsemanship is dead.
    Jesus, dude. What is your problem?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Is there a full moon or something?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh, Oh, Oh ... I have a question .... My pony needs beating over the head with a firm implement. Is it best to use a baseball bat or a 2x4. Only people with direct experience of pony-beating need comment, none of the rest of you numpties.

Oh, and no Snarky comments about how I shouldn't be beating her, and all that PETA, Natural Horsemanship BS. All the Real Horsemen have told me I need to beat her upside the head so there. Ner ner nah ner ner.

3 members found this post helpful.

KW - what size pony is she? Does she prefer to eat her hay off the ground or in a hay net? Is her BFP (best friend pony) a boy or girl? Is she under saddle? How long? Is she black or palomino?

KW - Most definably, an ax handle.

Did anyone actually read the articles that (I think JB?) and I posted. I believe it was Rick who originally posted them in another thread. They're studies about hoof wall/sole hydration, the effects of water, different types of hoof dressings, etc. on the hooves, etc. Really insightful articles that basically say most of what we out on horses' hooves does harm rather than good, that the SOLE but not the wall get softer from too much hydration, etc. I'm paraphrasing horribly, so I recommend reading the actual articles.

I referenced it but didn't originally post it I think someone else posted another one too. I'm behind on posting cites

That said, the wall DOES get softer if it's in water for long enough. Huge difference in trimming mine when it's been raining for 3 days vs no rain for the month of August

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Did anyone actually read the articles that (I think JB?) and I posted. I believe it was Rick who originally posted them in another thread. They're studies about hoof wall/sole hydration, the effects of water, different types of hoof dressings, etc. on the hooves, etc. Really insightful articles that basically say most of what we out on horses' hooves does harm rather than good, that the SOLE but not the wall get softer from too much hydration, etc. I'm paraphrasing horribly, so I recommend reading the actual articles.
    Yeah, just because somebody posted a link to study or article that states that moisture enters the sole and didn't immediately affect the hoof wall does NOT mean that the hoof wall is not affected by moisture period. Not my IRL experience at all and everyone else's too I bet.

Of course, if the OP is talking about breaking hoof knives, we are talking about the sole and bars, not the wall of the hoif in question...right?
    Last edited by Freebird!; Feb. 16, 2013 at 01:20 PM.

Don't Ask!!! OP is quite sensitive to others asking questions.......joke-

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Of course, if the OP us talking about breaking hoof knives, we are talking about the sole and bars, not the wall of the horse in question...right?
    Yes. See below.

Post #41, my response below CrowneDragon's quote
    Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    A recent study (IIRC) indicated that external moisture (mud, dressings, etc) does very little to soften horn, just the sole (and frog, I'd imagine). I can't recall the exact study and can't get my thehorse.com account to open, but here is a link for you to read it:
    http://www.thehorse.com/articles/297...ration-studied

My farrier uses a small blow torch on the feet for a few seconds if they are super hard.
    The moisture enters the foot through the sole, and probably just takes time to affect the walls, but moisture does affect the walls too. Otherwise how could you explain why my horses' feet are rock hard in dry weather and softer in wet weather?

If the farrier is breaking hoof knives he's working on the bottom of the foot anyway.

Wow, hands down this has got to be one of the most entertaining COTH threads I've read in awhile lol. I'd love to ask the OP that if the horse is under the care of "well reputed professionals" etc, then why come here? The 'reputed professionals' must have all the necessary answers but, 'Elvis' has left the building....yeh, maybe a full moon or something??

No, you guys are wrong. And stupid. And probably ugly. I'm not playing with you guys ever again for ever and ever and ever and EVER.

5 members found this post helpful.

. . . So, once again: If any one can please offer suggestions for softening feet, I'd be much obliged. Thank you again.
    I would be happy to offer you my professional advice on softening feet. Please contact me through my web site to make an appointment.

2 members found this post helpful.

Havent read entire thread, so these may have been suggested already.

Magic Cushion - it looks like it contains drying agents, but when I put it on, and leave it in for a day or two, the feet are very soft afterwards. At least the soles are. Not to the point where they are ouchy soft, but definitely more soft and pliable than without that packing. But, just my personal experience as the iodine in it sounds like it may dry the hoof.

Vitamin E gel, like the human stuff. I havent used it on the actual sole of the hoof, but used it around the coronet band and bulb of the foot and it held the moisture very well. Might be worth a try on the hoof as its pretty cheap at a local pharmacy.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Havent read entire thread, so these may have been suggested already.

Magic Cushion - it looks like it contains drying agents, but when I put it on, and leave it in for a day or two, the feet are very soft afterwards. At least the soles are. Not to the point where they are ouchy soft, but definitely more soft and pliable than without that packing. But, just my personal experience as the iodine in it sounds like it may dry the hoof.

Vitamin E gel, like the human stuff. I havent used it on the actual sole of the hoof, but used it around the coronet band and bulb of the foot and it held the moisture very well. Might be worth a try on the hoof as its pretty cheap at a local pharmacy.

good luck!
    Good ideas! However, Elvis has left the building lol!

IME, Magic Cushion toughens the hoof. Doesn't it have venice turpentine or something in it?