The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    It was just becoming incredibly irresponsible reading all of the advice softening the feet and resorting to power tools when no one even asked a question about the metabolic condition of the horse.
    Well, I asked twice what was going on to make the horse unsound due to "too hard" feet because it might well have been pertinent to any answer I might have offered up. But, apparently, that was none of my business, a rude question to ask, and damnit why can't I just make a suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    Some of you are acting like a bunch of harpies and jackals.
    I know you probably won't see this unless someone quotes it, but has it occurred to you that maybe you are the problem in your responses, given how many people have a problem with your responses?

Any 'natural barefoot trimmer' I've seen speak in absolutes.. stating all shod horses are tortured and unsound.
    You mentioned something like this earlier, but I let it go. I really want to know where the flock you are being "attacked" by the fringes of lunacy of "natural barefoot trimmers" who think everything can be fixed with a good trim and good feed - NOBODY remotely insinuated that. Now that it's been said out loud that metabolic issues can cause feet to grow "weird" material that doesn't come out like normal hoof material and make the foot "too hard" AND combine with the metabolic issue to make the hoof unsound, what do you have to say about that now? Diet? See metabolic issues.

You're one who seems to think that all questions exist in a vacuum and that nothing else is pertinent to anything other than the actual question asked. Sorry, life doesn't usually work that way.

Lastly, because I choose to keep certain horse's medical conditions confidential, I'm being chastised.
    You're being "chastised" because you're being antagonistic and rude towards people who are merely trying to get a better picture of what's going on so they can give you their best suggestion. The LAST think you want to be doing if the foot is laminitic or thin-soled is softening it - THAT is why people wanted to know more

Right. So if you have a horse with a treatable medical condition and offer him for sale some 5 years later, the anonymous half-informed harpies will come out of the woodwork and spread rumors about what they THINK they read on some BB and put off any prospective buyers.
    Then why are you even bringing it up here? You already said the horse is unsound because of problems with his feet. You already said you have a team of great professionals - if they really are that great, why don't they have safe ways, proven through prior use, of dealing with these feet? If the farrier is that great, has he REALLY never encountered feet "too hard"?

Because reading for comprehension is such a prevalent talent here.
    Oh, we've all read perfectly well for comprehension

3 members found this post helpful.

I never said I used Murphys. I asked if anyone had heard of using Murphys.

I dont' disparage proper trims, proper diet and good exercise & living conditions. Any 'natural barefoot trimmer' I've seen speak in absolutes.. stating all shod horses are tortured and unsound. I never said 'goop' was the majikal bullet, but I wondered out loud the benefits of soaking in water (which further dries with evaporation), vs topical application of various and sundry.

Lastly, because I choose to keep certain horse's medical conditions confidential, I'm being chastised. Right. So if you have a horse with a treatable medical condition and offer him for sale some 5 years later, the anonymous half-informed harpies will come out of the woodwork and spread rumors about what they THINK they read on some BB and put off any prospective buyers.

Wow - The day hasn't truly started until you've been called a herpie!

I think I would address any medical condition first, as well as the possible underlying metabolic issues. As a side note, I lived in Ct for a year, with my TB who had horrible feet. Starting in about the fall though, his feet went from being a shelly mess, to hooves that hardly ever cracked, and he stopped losing shoes. I personally think that being in a cold environment helped, since the actual conditions - snow, ice, rain, slush- were horrible.

If you are going to go the "goop" route, I personally like Pedocan, and of course Keratex Hoof Gel.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Wow - The day hasn't truly started until you've been called a herpie!
    ewwwwwwwwwww. I'd take harpy over herpie any day
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

2 members found this post helpful.

Harpie ! We're Harpies not Herpies. Thank goodness for small mercies.

--- oh darn, got beat to it.

Sansena, as someone who works in the customer service pet care industry, there's no one I want to help LESS, then someone who comes in, guns blaring, arguing and only giving me half the information, and refusing to discuss further. I can't help, if I don't know every single last angle. I generally cut those convos short, and refer them back to their vet. It might behoove you, to change your attitude or go somewhere else where you think the information is better.

Generally as a rule, I am either at my horses vet/farrier check ups, and if I can't be then I call that evening. That way I can who/what/where/why/how, IE, what should we do about these hard hooves? Is it a, b, c? Could it be this? Can I use this? How often? What about...?

Last appointment I was told he had mild thrush, I asked if I could use GSE, and how often. My farrier said yes, and once a week is fine. It was that simple.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Harpie ! We're Harpies not Herpies. Thank goodness for small mercies.

--- oh darn, got beat to it.
    Bwahahaha - Gotta love AutoCorrect!! Here's to being a HArpie!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

"Well, I asked twice what was going on to make the horse unsound due to "too hard" feet because it might well have been pertinent to any answer I might have offered up. But, apparently, that was none of my business, a rude question to ask, and damnit why can't I just make a suggestion?" JB

No kidding. People have been questioning the situation from the very beginning. If my horse was lame I'd 1) ask the farrier to break out the hoof testers and 2) call the vet for a lameness work up and ask him or her to bring the X-ray machine along.

Throwing another suggestion out there -- contracted heels can lead to a blocky foot and retained sole. Fwiw when my pony had her worst case of laminitis and had some rotation her soles were soft and kind of grainy (hard to describe). This during a relatively dry month of September, with nothing being applied to her hooves. So obviously there is a wide range across cases.

soak the feet in water. even if they might possibly get more dried out its worth if it the horse can have his feet trimmed isnt it? and really if they are truely that dry and hard i doubt they could get any worse

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    I am quite certain most were praising the days and posts that went by without my response.

It was just becoming incredibly irresponsible reading all of the advice softening the feet and resorting to power tools when no one even asked a question about the metabolic condition of the horse.
    It seemed, at least to me, the the OP was going to be reticent about providing any details, so why bother asking?
    But then again, what could an attorney possibly know about hoof care.
    Indeed. Speaking of attorneys, what do you call an attorney with an IQ of 75?

A: "Your Honor".................

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

I find myself in the rather unusual/unique position of agreeing with GAP's last post..

[QUOTE=grayarabpony;6837636][I]"

Throwing another suggestion out there -- contracted heels can lead to a blocky foot and retained sole.

This was my thought also and NORMALLY on a hoofcare forum where a poster is ASKING for HELP, responders often ask for..
    (gasp) PHOTOS of affected feet. The responders can get a much better idea if the trim or shoeing could be exascerbating the situation. the point is not to criticize the OP or their hoofcare professional but to have more eyes and sometimes different or better eyes evaluating the work. It's like gettting a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th opinion. No harm done.
    Photos would definitely help in this case but I doubt we will see them.
    Last edited by Marla 100; Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: additional info

I never said I used Murphys. I asked if anyone had heard of using Murphys.
    So you didn't even thank me for the effort I extended in researching the Murphy's for you

or perhaps you meant Harpy/Jackal in a positive light

So if you have a horse with a treatable medical condition and offer him for sale some 5 years later
    I would certainly hope that you would communicate any medical concerns/history to prospective buyers so that they would be in a position to identify & treat should the horse have a relapse (very likely with metabolic issues)

but I wondered out loud the benefits of soaking in water (which further dries with evaporation), vs topical application of various and sundry.
    I think you have an odd notion of "drying" in the context of the assorted chemicals you are entertaining using ...

Your comprehension of what constitutes a "drying agent" is definitely lacking.

I am a BAD person

4 members found this post helpful.

Gee.. thanks for all the great suggestions on keeping his feet softer. Soaking in water is just going to promote further drying again/ hardening, once the feet dry and any moisture evaporates away.

No, I"m not going to machinery to shorten his feet. And yes, we are literally breaking hoof knives. It would be lovely if people could simply answer the direct question without playing armchair vet or farrier. This horse is under the care of well reputed professionals. I think I'll take their advice as opposed to the unfounded, half informed snark coming from some of you here.

I don't feel the need to post my horse's medical history to a bunch of strangers here. Lord knows it'll come back to bite me in the ass.

So, once again: If any one can please offer suggestions for softening feet, I'd be much obliged. Thank you again.
    No need to get upset.

For most horses the foot gets softer when there are long periods of rain and standing in the mud or wet ground. In winter the ground is hard and dry( or covered with snow or a layer of ice), the air is dry and if your horse is stalled and standing in shavings for several hours a day then that will be sucking moisture too( i would guess).

You were given advice to soak in warm water prior to your farriers visit and that is a good suggestion to make his job easier, otherwise your horse should be fine. If you are looking for a miracle cure hoof dressing or supplement I doubt there is one. If your farrier is a " well reputed professional" then he should be answering your question , not us.

YOU all assumed this horse had metabolic issues. He does not.

But I *have* learned a bunch on this thread. Not all of it related to hoof issues, but some of y'all have told me plenty about yourselves. Thanks for that.

Since this has degraded to the usual CoTH pile on..
    Elvis has left THIS building.

Meaning THIS thread only for those of you who'd like to see people pull up their toys and sulk away because of the conflict here.

Not happening, sorry to disappoint.

But I *have* learned a bunch on this thread. Not all of it related to hoof issues, but some of y'all have told me plenty about yourselves. Thanks for that.

Meaning THIS thread only for those of you who'd like to see people pull up their toys and sulk away because of the conflict here.

At least I can recognize my badness

- YOU seem determined to view yourself with rose colored glasses only ...
    with no acknowledgement of your own limitations (your understanding of biochemistry has also LEFT the building) or precipitating role in the direction this thread (d)evolved.

This horse is under the care of well reputed professionals. I think I'll take their advice as opposed to the unfounded, half informed snark coming from some of you here.
    Then ask the professionals who has seen this horse and ASK THEIR ADVICE.

I have never seen hard feet affect soundness, unless there are retained soles or overgrown bars – we have a 6 month dry season here – good feet become “rock crushers”.

Yawn. What are you, 12?

Another one hits the ignore pile.

Lame, I thought this was going to go on longer...! I'm on unemployment, I need sh!t to read during the day! Lol. I'm still not sure why soaking hooves in water before trimming doesn't make sense...oh, well.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I think it's funny that the "similar threads" all talk about softening leather, and Venice Turpentine....

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post
    Lame, I thought this was going to go on longer...! I'm on unemployment, I need sh!t to read during the day! Lol. I'm still not sure why soaking hooves in water before trimming doesn't make sense...oh, well.
    Well, there's still the "sorry, my mistake" thread....