The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Potential TB- Think She Fits the Bill Better?

Sorry for the second post in a row...this gal just came up and the owner said she's flexible on the price as long as she goes to a good home, which works for me! Here's the ad which has a couple of pictures, as well as a link to a flat video. I am so appreciative that you guys take the time to help me out in my conformation short comings- I know its a lot about the mind but if the conformation isn't there I don't see the point if they're just going to break down. Here she is!

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-pets-live...AdIdZ456496213

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkYCTiVuwfY

"Zoe has gone to jumping shows in 2010 and since has been doing some dressage".

Sounds like the jumping didn't work out well..

"This mare would make a good project for an intermediate/experienced rider".

IMHO I'd pass. I won't pick her apart on the internet, but the price , description and conformation all say no to me.
    Keep on looking, there are many horses and everyone here is more than happy to enable you when the right one comes along..

1 members found this post helpful.

Ditto on skydy's comments. I am the first to buy horses on a whim and enable others to do the same. There are too many fabulous horses out there to settle
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Why not give us your buying guide lines...buy power shipping/shopping area riding level and modest goals as well as limitations such as no cribbers or mares....let the power of COTH be your personal shopper...also go look on OTTB Connection on Facebook also an excellent resource

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah I suppose you could say I'm just getting desperate to find something and put a good start on it before eventing season! I'm don't think I'm terribly picky either...mare or gelding, 15.2h and up, 4 years old and up, good conformation and movement for eventing and its gotta have some scope! And I don't have a huge budget, $3500 is about the best I can do. Thanks a bunch guys!

Are you in the Calgary area?
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    "Zoe has gone to jumping shows in 2010 and since has been doing some dressage".

Sounds like the jumping didn't work out well..

"This mare would make a good project for an intermediate/experienced rider".

IMHO I'd pass. I won't pick her apart on the internet, but the price , description and conformation all say no to me.
    Keep on looking, there are many horses and everyone here is more than happy to enable you when the right one comes along..
    ^ Ditto

Like chism says, "there is no shortage of nice looking horses out there" and a lot of them are inexpensive. Don't settle just because you want one now.. I'm struggling with that too and I have to keep reminding myself that if you settle, you get what you settle for..
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    ^ Ditto

Like chism says, "there is no shortage of nice looking horses out there" and a lot of them are inexpensive. Don't settle just because you want one now.. I'm struggling with that too and I have to keep reminding myself that if you settle, you get what you settle for..
    Agree completely. I've been looking recently and have had to tell myself the same thing. I was looking at a guy in NY, but since I'm in MN, I told myself that is just simply too far away. I definitely don't want to fly or drive out there, and buying sight unseen is a definite no for me.

Definitely check out the groups on Facebook, they are really helpful! OTTB connect, Sport horses for sale, and eventing horses for sale are all good ones. Try looking for a regional horses for sale group as well.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

I don't see anything in her photos or video to turn down. There might be any number of reasons she was at shows in 2010 and now doing dressage: owner's finances or personal life like school or having a baby, change of discipline, trainer leaving area or trainer coming to area.
    If you are close enough to go see her in person and try her, I'd do it if she appeals to you. Who knows, you might love her or might find another one there you really, really like.

If she's within driving distance I would definitely go see her. She looks quiet, relaxed, willing, decent mover, attractive. Her video is better then her picture. I would free jump her when you go to visit so you get an idea of her form/scope. I wouldn't read too much into that short description. Maybe she had a rider change to someone that doesn't like to jump - you never know. You can't say "jumping didn't work out" just because she's been doing dressage. Ask those questions to the seller. You can always offer something like $2K which is more or less what I think she's worth. Make sure you vet her.

That ring seems very familar to me. Is this a horse trader place? Anyways idk about her I did find these though. Not sure how far from you
    http://www.horsetopia.com/for-sale/classifieds/ad561712

http://www.horsetopia.com/for-sale/classifieds/ad561803

http://equimarket.equestrianconnecti...dnumber=121914

http://equimarket.equestrianconnecti...dnumber=121865
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Of course there could be many reasons why the horse is not jumping anymore, however, in a sales advert, no mention of how the horse DID in those jumping classes seems odd..and no video of the horse over fences makes me wonder as well.

The thing that always tips me off to bad things (and not to beat a dead horse here) is the use of a copyrighted image without paying for it.

I see a HUGE watermark through a pic and I instantly think, "Ok this person doesn't think theft is a big deal. I wonder what other things they think are not big deals?"

Every time I have followed the trail of a sale horse with a stolen pic I have seen a horse not advertised accurately, a horse that previously had been told to have never run and the name was lied about (Its called a tattoo folks), and the stories go on from there.

There are too many nice ones around. And we can get you free or cheaper.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

From her photo, I immediately thought, "No." But after watching the video I became a little more open-minded towards her. She's really not a bad mover at all, even from a far distance and slightly blurry video.

I don't really think you can judge a horse based sole on what the owner has chosen to do with them. Maybe it was the rider's issue that caused them to stop jumping the horse? You never know. I'd say she's worth a look. After all, it's just looking. You're not committing to anything and she may turn out to be quite lovely. Some horses seem a lot better in person than they do in a photo or video!

I don't know where you are located, but this horse just leapt off the page at me as an event prospect. He is not marked sold, though the last update was last fall, but if I was a good rider and trainer in the market for an event prospect, I'd take a good hard look at him.

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=284

I like the last two rabicon posted

Thanks for the tips! I am in Calgary, AB. I'll take a look at those pics as well as the mare on Monday. Hoping something works out sometime soon!

17h sound 5 yr old Fromm last fall...bet he is long sold..