The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mine have been cycling for a few weeks now - and I am in Manitoba. The first was the last week of january in -35c weather but hey it's sunny so it's got to be spring. sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    It's February! That's when mares would start cycling, at least in my area. I'm lucky I have a vet that turned me on to Depo at correct dosages that work Breeding a mare to make her manageable seems a little extreme
    Just curious - what dose does your vet thinks work?

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    Just curious - what dose does your vet thinks work?
    My vet started my mare on 6 cc's in the 100 mg/ml strength every 10 days. We dropped to 5 cc's with the same results. I was very skeptical because I had read here that it doesn't work on a lot of mares. My vet was sure it would work. Before we gave the first shot, he gave her some other type of shot to induce estrus, and I think we started the Depo 3-5 days later. Someone here suggested I'm giving too much, but my vet is a very good vet who works on top show horses, and is basing his recommendations on years of experience with many different mares.

Did a stallion move in to the area? Or mares foaling nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    My vet started my mare on 6 cc's in the 100 mg/ml strength every 10 days. We dropped to 5 cc's with the same results. I was very skeptical because I had read here that it doesn't work on a lot of mares. My vet was sure it would work. Before we gave the first shot, he gave her some other type of shot to induce estrus, and I think we started the Depo 3-5 days later. Someone here suggested I'm giving too much, but my vet is a very good vet who works on top show horses, and is basing his recommendations on years of experience with many different mares.
    My mare is on 5mL of the 200mg/mL (=1000mg) IM q14 days and it was originally suggested I do higher. So you are not alone. She is still humping her hay bag and buckets! I'm considering regumate. The Depo helps but has not completely resolved the humping and witchiness.

How long has your mare been on it? You might give it a little longer or try every 10 days. I had my mare on Regumate before Depo, and I much prefer the Depo. My mare never humped, and she wasn't ever witchy - more the opposite. She was just wildly in love and squirting everywhere

I have had her on it for about 1.5 years though we have played around with the doses over time (bigger dose once a month, smaller dose twice a month, bigger dose twice a month). She gets very calm for about 5 days after and then...gradually works her way back up into grump in about 7-10 days after an injection. I'm not sure I'm really getting the "depot" effect of the injection as it seems to wear off and I hate just upping and pumping her full of hormone but I want her to be comfortable and she does seem so miserable and crabby and sensitive... I don't want her to be a drugged out zombie either, just not miserable.

our mare has been in heat all winter... even started Depo in January and she's broken through 3 times.. ugh..

Miss Mare too! she started in January I thougth it was because I moved her to a new barn and she is turned out with both mares and geldings. She is sooo attached to the mare in her pasture and I caught one of the geldings trying to take the tail cover of her blanket off. Worst of it is she pees all over her legs scalding the skin so I need to clean her almost daily. Yesterday we had a total mare meltdown when pasture mate came into the barn. Went from being very civil undersaddle to a raving snorting bucking nut on the longe as soon as the other mare came into the barn. How do I cure that? Anybody?