The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mare in heat already

I have known this mare for 3 yrs, and have owned her since last June. She is 10 & has never been bred. I have no intention of breeding her, either.

Before this summer, we barely even noticed if she was in heat. Of course, I buy her & then the entire summer she had intense heats. She wasn't nasty, but nutty. She noticed every tiny thing, was waiting for horse eaters to jump out from behind poles, etc. She also started peeing everywhere & generally trying to whore herself out. It is def. not submissive behavior, it is a heat cycle!

In the fall, she had one loooong drawn out, intense heat that I thought would never end. I know that the end & beginning of the season can be like that.

So now, this weekend, Feb 10 & she is already in heat, peeing all over the place & trying to crawl into the stall with gelding next door. She definitely has never started cycling this early before. I know they can start in Feb, but she never has. Original owner/breeder & my trainer have been around her all her life & say she has never been like this. As I said, I have been riding her for a few years & barely noticed her heat cycles at all.

Last fall I was thinking about having her checked for cysts or something, but once she finally came out of the last cycle I thought maybe we would be back to normal. Nothing changed at the time she started being whacky: same place, same feed, etc. Just her bad luck b/c her paperwork got handed over to me.

If she is crazy again this summer I may opt for injections.

Has anyone else had a mare start cycling yet?
    or a mare that had such a dramatic change in behavior during heats?
    thoughts? I will def ask vet about it, but I wasn't planning on a special visit.

Yep. Two weeks ago. Peeing all over herself for well over a week and decided that the best way to deal with being ridden was to plant and not move forward. She went from being, OMG, wonderful, let's go show 4th level, to I am so glad I'm not showing because she won't move forward.

I think this time of year is the worst.

I have one too. Her deal is in no way is she staying in a stall at night like she always does.

I saw mares at the barn cycle all winter, and they're cycling hard right now. Not under lights, nothing wrong with them. Just seems to be a weird season for it.

All of my mares are already cycling, I bred one of my own, and a client's mare this week. Not uncommon at all.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Ugh. Mine started in December, and generally cycles every 3 weeks... unless of course she's stalled next to a mare, and then she goes instantly in to heat and tries to crawl in with the mare next to her. Not geldings or stallions, just mares. Gross.

Here in western Washington it never stops! Or if it does, it's from noon to 1:00 pm on the shortest day of the year. By now? It's spriiiiiiiiing, baby!!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Yep. Two weeks ago. Peeing all over herself for well over a week and decided that the best way to deal with being ridden was to plant and not move forward. She went from being, OMG, wonderful, let's go show 4th level, to I am so glad I'm not showing because she won't move forward.

I think this time of year is the worst.
    Sounds like your mare and my mare are on the same schedule right down to showing schedule!!!

Mine had her first hissy (hussy) fit right after Christmas. It has been suggested I get her injected to help smooth out the cycles. If on the next heat she goes through the same balkiness, I just might.

Yep, totally normal. Out of the mares not pregnant this year I had one who cycled all winter and the others have all started cycling in the past two weeks. I even caught some of the three year old maidens
    Specializing in Custom Warmblood Foals - www.premiumwarmbloods.com

Visit Our Facebook Page!

Mine, too! She's 13, I've had her for 9 years (the last 5 at the same barn with the same horses) and NEVER seen her this bad.

Spooky as all get out, too. Usually ride on the trails bareback in a halter. Well, let's just say I was glad to have a saddle and bridle the other day. She spooked so hard at the deer, she almost sat down. Silly mare.

The young mare is showing heat. Can't do much about the daylight length of sun time, which is what starts it.

I would not expect my mare to be fertile now, just showing signs of heat. Always seems to take a few cycles before her visible signs outside are aligned with the internal body cycles.

Hope they all don't start shedding soon, also controlled by length of day light. Still winter up here and I expect winter is NOT DONE for a while.

Well, I wish mine would hurry up! I've had her under lights for almost 6 weeks, her coat is falling out in clumps but no heat behavior yet. I want to breed her in April or May and am anxious to get the ball rolling.

FWIW, she is the spookiest of my bunch and is all business lately. But that has actually been true for about the past year. Maybe she's outgrown it at 13.
    Click here before you buy.

My 3 yr. old has been showing heat for a week or so and is heavily shedding also. We're not finished w/ winter either but at least it's not the extremes that some of you get.

My girl went into heat last week.
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

I have a mare that goes into heat at the most random times....she never made any sense as to when she started, and she doesn't cycle at the same time other horses do. :/ I'm actually surprised she hasn't gone into heat yet this year...it's probably coming in a day or so. :/

Quote Originally Posted by gailbyrd View Post
    Sounds like your mare and my mare are on the same schedule right down to showing schedule!!!

Mine had her first hissy (hussy) fit right after Christmas. It has been suggested I get her injected to help smooth out the cycles. If on the next heat she goes through the same balkiness, I just might.
    Yeah. I tried that. Didn't work so well. But, she is SUCH a good breeder and mother and makes wonderful babies, I'm just breeding her again. A pregnant mare is the best thing in the world to ride. Since this is the big show year for me, this is the perfect time. She is a HAPPY camper when she's pregnant. The world is all good and she is wonderful to ride. Swedestrupper time!

It's February! That's when mares would start cycling, at least in my area. I'm lucky I have a vet that turned me on to Depo at correct dosages that work Breeding a mare to make her manageable seems a little extreme

Any ideas on the change from quiet cycles to insane, intense, longer & more frequent heats at the age of 10? just bad luck or something that may be pathological?

I would have a vet out to palpate/US her just to see what going on. It may be nothing or she could have something going on especially since this is a change from her normal self.

Farrier was out today, so of course my mare had to make a disgusting scene of being in heat for the first time this season.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO