The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Of course we don't gallop around XC super deep.
    Actually I gallop around XC with a loop if I can.
    But I will go into a gymnastic with the horse in a lower frame for sure. In fact that video I posted of the 1 trot circle was during a gymnastic session. I circled because he was too tense in his rib cage to go on to the jumping grid.

Riding with that open deep frame sure allows the kids to learn how to swing through and let go of all the tensions. And of course, it's not an absolute. Though it ended up being the topic of discussion and hopefully everyone understands that it's not something that should be done 100% of the time.

I like the photo of the stretching horse posted by IDEAYODA quite a lot. And though I do put my horses in that sort of frame I don't do it 100% of the time. Just at the start, at the finish, and then after a particularly hard moment during the school.

I did get a little lost the last few pages so I will just say that I do find the deep position very gymnastically helpful and it sure does put the right muscles on the youngsters Then as I start to ask for moments of them in a higher self carriage type position they are able to oblige.

I must have missed the point of the Ingrid Klimke video. All I saw were very well schooled higher level horses. Very lovely, but not what we were talking about so my wee brain is a tad lost.

I'm enjoying this thread a lot! Keep it coming!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I like the photo of the stretching horse posted by IDEAYODA quite a lot. And though I do put my horses in that sort of frame I don't do it 100% of the time. Just at the start, at the finish, and then after a particularly hard moment during the school.

Agreed...nothing is for 100% of the time...and everything depends on what you are feeling. I'd be thrilled if I could get a horse to stretch like that gray horse for even a few steps. With the green OTTBs or baby horses.....sometimes that is all you get of ANYTHING for a while. When it is correct and feels great for that step or two...BIG pats and get out of the ring and go for a hack! Even when working well and correctly....I have a bunch with ADD and they just don't keep their focus for a full circle....and are off looking at the squirrls
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

LOVING all this discussion! Thank y'all so much for playing I'm enjoying reading all the responses and watching all the videos! Trust me, if I had all the money in the world, I would spend thousands a month taking lessons! I primarily flat my boy, don't even jump more than roughly once every 2 weeks (since we both LOVE to jump!) I do lots of hacking out in the field, do actual dressage schools in the field, and trot sets/gallop sets/hills outside. We don't really have any trails any more, so not much in the way of trail riding, but I do get out and do hunter paces when I can. I can't remember if he was either at the very end of his shoeing cycle, or if he had JUST been shod that day, but he's touchy sensitive everywhere. Knock on wood, with the exception of that overall tightness you see, he's sound, sound, sound. I've considered the idea of a BOT dressage pad for his back since I can't get him any regular chiro care, but I haven't bit the bullet on that yet. I really appreciate the input, and I'm still here!! Continue on.

I just started a new thread regarding a study on Head Neck Position (HNP) and the actions of the muscles in the neck in three positions: free, flexion, hyperflexion. I think it's a good follow-up to the discussion we had on this thread earlier this year.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...tion-%28HNP%29
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.