The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on this TB? Worth $800?

Hi everyone, this gal is 5 years old, not off the track, very green broke. Do you think she has any eventing potential? Worth the $800 conformation wise? Thanks all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9102441...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9102441...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9102441...n/photostream/

Pictures don't say a lot as far as athleticism.. is she sound? She's got some hard knocks on her RF and some filling her in LF from what I can see of the picture. I don't like her knees but the rest of her body seems okay. You can get a lot of nicer, cleaner-legged horses for cheaper.

Was she in race training? What kind of riding was she doing, and do you have her JC name or bloodlines if she isn't JC registered?
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Not particularly excited about anything I see in these awkward photos.

It is hard to get a good photo but not to get a decent one...I don't think you can tell anything by these

There is a lot of body there. And I'm not thrilled about the neck set. I prefer it set a little higher on the chest, and not quite so thick. Conditioning can change some things but only so much.

As for her worth, she is probably worth that much, so long as she is sound, and sane.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

I too noticed that her neck is set on her body pretty far down. I've got one of those and while he can be QUITE the stunner when put together correctly, its taken three years and A LOT of work to get him where he is now. Its a lot harder for them to carry themselves correctly when their neck is set that low. Certainly not impossible, but takes some more time and a lot of patience. This is my guy, for reference: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9316986...in/photostream
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Any sound horse can event at the lower levels. I think it's really had to tell much from those photos. Have you seen her in person?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

$800 bucks just isn't a whole hell of a lot of money for a horse, so yeah, she's probably worth it.

Is she something I would be interested in? Not based on those photos. Of course, the pics are terrible, so it's tough to really give a *fair* assessment. But I dislike her neck a great deal and she seems light on bone.

2 members found this post helpful.

That particular set of photos really makes it difficult to give a fair evaluation.

If you like her and she s sound don t pay any attention to us.....

4 members found this post helpful.

She looks ewe-necked to me which is a big turn off. But she's also not being presented very well (as others have said). I don't understand why it's so hard for people to set up a horse halfway decent for a photo.

I think her ewe-neck is just a muscling feature, maybe from "pulling" while being under race training? Just what I thought when I looked at her. With proper muscling I expect that wouldn't be there.

Wish we had more to work off of!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Having worked with race horses a LONG time and then retraining a bunch later, that neck is NOT an ewe neck. It looks like it only because of the muscling. She's got more in the chest, too, from running. If you taught her to carry through her topline, she'd end up looking like a whole different horse. Look at the entire neck and try to see the bone connection--ignore the muscle. Her neck is not that low. She's just upside down from running.

That backend shot showed me a NICE alignment and one leg on each corner. Wish I could see better side shots. You can't tell anything about her hind end, really.

She looks nice. Worth a look-see and a test ride. $800 for her? Sure, if she rides well and has a good brain. From the back end shot, I'm guessing her back end works very well. She's got some very decent muscling from sitting and digging in when running, not just pulling with the front. She also looks like her ribs are pretty well sprung.

(BTW, Beowulf, you're right. )
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

But she says she's not off the track. So to me it doesn't sound as if the mare was raced or had race training. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, that neck and muscling can just be from upside down riding in general.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

JMHO... If I had $800 to spend on an OTTB, personally...I'd pick something else, but she could look much better with some better pictures too. . She's not terrible, but I've seen better for less $$, and I agree...her knees look a bit "thick". I also agree that her neck muscling will change with work, but I still think it's a bit low set & would like to see a more upright neck for an eventer. I like her back end though...definitely looks like she has an engine.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Rabicon, her body looks like she was in race training to me - I could definitely be wrong, and I'm fully prepared to admit that; she just has some muscling to me that looks synonymous with being under race training - especially her "tight"/sprung ribcage and the muscling in her hindquarters. I don't usually see that in a TB that is 5 unless it's in race-training or formal EV training.

P.S: Hello Mither (':

Not ewe necked, just muscles. Don't love her below the knee, but if she's sound and reasonably quiet wouldn't likely stop her from doing T and below. When you go and see her, see if she'll stand square. Two pics of her resting a leg might not mean anyting or it could. She might have just been trying to leave. Sorry if rambling, just things that stood out to me looking at the pics.

Neck set doesn't bother me terribly, last horse I had had a neck like that, no problems. Like her eye and over all she's pretty decent, especially for 800 bucks if sound.

Am I the only one who sees tiny feet?

She looks okay. But personally, just her pasterns alone would drive me away at any price, even free.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Thanks for all the replies everyone! She is actually not off the track or race trained. These pictures are apparently when she was three and very green broke. She's been sitting in a field for two years. I'm going to a TB breeding and racing farm tomorrow to see what they've got, and if they don't have anything there I'll probably go take a look at her. Thanks a bunch for the input, I really don't trust myself with the whole judging conformation thing.