The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird tooth thing

So I noticed today that my horse has an extra tooth growing out the front of her gums on the lower jaw.
    There are two teeth in the same spot, so I assume one is the adult tooth and the other the baby tooth (she is 4) but I don't know if one that looks correct and in the right spot is the baby and the adult is coming in at the wrong angle and coming out the front, or if the normal looking one is the adult and the baby is being pushed out at a weird angle.
    her eating is not affected, and it doesn't seem to bother her, but I'm worried it might start digging into the lower lip.
    I tried to get a picture, but shes not very cooperative about looking at her teeth.
    these are the best I could do.
    http://postimage.org/image/50qmeoond/
    http://postimage.org/image/i3m8xyevd/
    http://postimage.org/image/enu4oehmx/
    just wondering what others think, leave it and let it work out on its own? have it pulled? My vet is a pain to get an appointment and it would probably be a week before he came out anyway, and I just got hock injections done and don't want to add to expenses unnecessarily.
    Thanks

Could it be a cap? your vet or dentist might need to remove it. i would look out flr infection!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Can't really tell from the pics. Sounds like there is an impacted cap that the vet needs to pull. How old is the horse and is it time for another float anyway?

snaggle tooth

Sure sounds like a cap that is not coming off. Can't tell anything from the pics, though. If it wiggles, see if you can ease it off. If it's on there more solidly, then you'll need to have your vet or dentist address it.

And keep in mind that even a young horse needs to be looked at regularly by a dentist.

Those pics are really bad.

My mare had a front incisor come in about 30-45 degrees off angle, so it was sticking WAAAY out from the others. It was perfectly healthy, but way too crooked to function normally, so we had it extracted. It was a job--she was 3 and that tooth was HEALTHY and well rooted! But the other teeth quickly moved over to fill the gap and now if you didn't count you'd never know she was missing one. We took it out so she wouldn't cut her lip and because without opposing wear it would have grown out of control and needed constant work. It's never bothered her to not have it.

My vet collaborated with a really good local equine dentist and I think they both enjoyed the job--they talked shop non-stop and traded ideas for the 90 minutes it took to work that thing loose, then spent another half hour oglilng one another's instruments.
    Click here before you buy.

Holy smokes 90 minutes? Poor girl!!

Those pictures are fairly ridiculous, no offense meant I can't see a thing. It looks like those blurry Sasquatch pictures.

Anyways, agree with the others. Good idea to get the vet involved, he'll probably pull the cap. Some horses need more help than others. DH has a mare who needed all of hers assisted out, she now hates the vet and he gets some of the ugliest mare faces I've seen this mare pull.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I know the photos are terrible haha, thanks for looking though.
    I tried to look at it again today, she really hates having her mouth touched. It isn't loose.
    Gonna have to get the vet out I guess sigh. A few of us were joking the other week that we should just have a standing vet appointment every week for our high maintenance horses haha

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Those pictures could be of almost anything.

Skipper, who turns four this month, has two sets of the incisors that are the furthest-back of the deciduous incisors. One on each side so they are symmetrical. I called the vet office and they said it was normal. I didn't try to take photos b/c I figured they'd come out pretty much like the OP's.
    The Evil Chem Prof