The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Farm recommendations in Hampton, VA? Esp. pasture board

I'm going to be in Hampton, Virginia for about 9 weeks starting sometime in March and would like to take my new horse (long story, didn't really seek this guy out. He pretty much landed at my farm one day). I'm going to be spending more than I'd like during my trip and he currently lives out anyway so I'd prefer reasonable pasture board. Maintained tape fencing is ok, wire not so much. A ring would be great but not necessary. Trailer parking definitely necessary. Any recommendations?

Good luck... there's not a lot of land space on the peninsula. I'd suggest you look up toward Williamsburg. There's a fair number of farms in the VA beach area, but you won't want to have to deal with commuting thru the tunnels if you can help it.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

How long a commute is it to Williamsburg from Hampton? I'm going to have a lot of spare time... more than I really want, but hate heavy traffic so if there are other directions to go in, I'm open to it.

Check out how close you might be to Daydream Believer's place near Suffolk! It wouldn't be any farther than W'burg, I don't think; maybe closer.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

1 members found this post helpful.

I lived in the Hampton/Newport News area for eight years... Finding a place with quality care with pasture boarding isn't going to be easy. Suffolk is going to be a NIGHTMARE to get to, due to the amount of traffic. I'd shoot for Williamsburg or Gloucester.

I recommend Walnut Acres Farm in Williamsburg. (Link - http://www.jamescityvirginia.com/cit...nut+Acres+Farm) Ask for Cira, and say that Miranda recommended you. They don't have pasture boarding, but they do have all day pasture turnout on GREAT fields. Plus the care is amazing.

Places to avoid like the plague (unless management has changed): Mystic Stables in Gloucester, Gentle Touch in Hampton, Topline Horse Center in Yorktown, and a barn I CANNOT remember the name of off of Oriana Rd in Newport News (it's behind the airport).

Good luck!

From Hampton, getting to Suffolk/Smithfield will take less time than getting to Williamsburg. Traffic is a potential nightmare any day of the week. By early May, the tourist traffic makes I64 awful. When I became a re-rider and was going from downtown Hampton to a barn on the other side of Williamsburg, I had to allow 45 min. minimum and get past the Fort Eustis exit coming back to beat that traffic before 2:30. There is an accident there almost daily. Going from Hampton to Suffolk/Smithfield, you need to get across the Monitor/Merrimac Bridge Tunnel before 3:00 PM to beat the shipyard traffic. Same thing for the James River Bridge. Feel free to PM me for a couple of suggestions if you wish.

I'm in south Suffolk and about an hour commute from Hampton. I can certainly help you but I'm a good drive from there. You might find something closer in Smithfield or Carrolton across the James River Bridge. As a matter of fact, Horse Spa Farm is in Chuckatuck. I trim a lot up there and know the owner and staff very well. They do a good job. Tell Wendy, the owner, that I sent you if you inquire.

She's probably half an hour from Hampton and room to ride, nice arenas, etc...

http://www.horsespafarm.com

I wished I could help but I will be watching this thread too :0). I live in Hampton and have my horses home but I will need to board my two sometime in the summer when we go camping/vacating in the summer. Paying for two is so crazy expensive that I think I can only do pasture board also (but my pony is going to need a dry lot so even harder to find..plus I don't want her turned out with bigger horses other than my mare). I don't know of any pasture board places around here.

Most likely if you do find a place that pasture boards in hampton the turnout field will be the ring. Not much space and finding a spot to ride with decent footing is kinda hard.

Williamsburg is about 35-45mins but you would have to work around the traffic. Coming back towards Hampton you most likely will get stuck. Smithfield is probably about 30mins if you go before people are trying to go home. I always take the James River Bridge. Chuckatuck about 45min. and I think at Horse Spa they prefer to pasture board over stall board.

Quote Originally Posted by Meer View Post
    I lived in the Hampton/Newport News area for eight years... Finding a place with quality care with pasture boarding isn't going to be easy. Suffolk is going to be a NIGHTMARE to get to, due to the amount of traffic. I'd shoot for Williamsburg or Gloucester.

I recommend Walnut Acres Farm in Williamsburg. (Link - http://www.jamescityvirginia.com/cit...nut+Acres+Farm) Ask for Cira, and say that Miranda recommended you. They don't have pasture boarding, but they do have all day pasture turnout on GREAT fields. Plus the care is amazing.

Places to avoid like the plague (unless management has changed): Mystic Stables in Gloucester, Gentle Touch in Hampton, Topline Horse Center in Yorktown, and a barn I CANNOT remember the name of off of Oriana Rd in Newport News (it's behind the airport).

Good luck!
    I also lived in Hampton recently - Meer, I second all your places to avoid. I can't remember the name of the place you're thinking of either, but it's the one where Partner's tack shop is, yes?

I can also be PMed if anyone wants further details. Williamsburg was too much a commute for me, but I know there are some great places around that area.

I think the one with Partners tack shop is Kentucky Farms. The only bad thing I've heard about that place is that there are lot of injuries because of the way they turnout and turn in. If it were me I would also avoid Riverdale Stables on Armstead and the place behind kmart on Mercury. They might have changed but when I was there awhile back when I first got into horses the horses were always getting out into the road.

Quote Originally Posted by morgansnmind View Post
    I think the one with Partners tack shop is Kentucky Farms. The only bad thing I've heard about that place is that there are lot of injuries because of the way they turnout and turn in. If it were me I would also avoid Riverdale Stables on Armstead and the place behind kmart on Mercury. They might have changed but when I was there awhile back when I first got into horses the horses were always getting out into the road.
    You are correct, Kentucky Farms. Their turnout groups were always too large for my liking, and I was wary of the fencing in some of the farther out pastures.

I do know a place in Newport News but considering they have barbed wire fencing, you probably aren't interested. That is Hertzlers old barn off Colony Drive. I trim a couple of horses in that barn still. It's turnout in mares or geldings fields and lots of horses there.

I could provide full turnout for a month or so like that in an acre field with a shelter for two pasture boarded horses. I have the space and safe fencing. I'm about an hour from Hampton...now during rush hour perhaps a bit longer. I've got arenas and facilities also like tack room, bathroom, wash rack, etc.... I do, however, have chickens, turkeys, ducks, pigs and cattle and while my horses are used to it, it could be challenging for a horse that has not seen those critters before.

Quote Originally Posted by morgansnmind View Post
    Yes! Kentucky Farms!

I forgot about Riverdale Stables... That place was awful when I was living there.

For those that said avoid Riverdale, agreed on that. I used to board my horse there back in 94-95 and moved to a local co-op behind Langley Air Force Base. I am not sure if it is there anymore. I don't even remember the name of it. I can drive there, but don't remember any road names.

Did anyone board at Riverdale? If so, what year? I found one of my geldings there. He was the best! His name was Numbers Runner. I lost him in 2003.

I first leased a horse there named Zoro (black quater horse) before he died, and boarded my first horse there (Mora) for a few months. That was back in 2001-2002 I think. That was back when I didn't know a thing.

I went to college in Newport News and my riding team rode out of Stonehouse Stables in Toano VA. I didn't own a horse at the time and don't remember much about the boarding situation (and I have no idea what their care was like as I just showed up to ride), but I remember their turnouts being nice and big. http://stonehousestables.com/

Agree with others on staying away from Topline. The turnouts were tiny and muddy from what I remember.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Oh and my old team rides here now: http://www.amazinggracestable.com/services.htm
    Not sure about the care as I have never been there, but looks like they have pasture board.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Quote Originally Posted by LDavis104 View Post
    Oh and my old team rides here now: http://www.amazinggracestable.com/services.htm
    Not sure about the care as I have never been there, but looks like they have pasture board.
    Carrolton would be an easy commute from Hampton, or Smithfield and Isle of Wight County.

I saw the negative comment regarding Gentle Touch Stables. I board my mare at Gentle Touch Stables (GTS). My mare has been there over a year. It is close to my home, very reasonable in price, the horses are well-cared for and the people are friendly. I take lessons there and am pleased with my instructors. At one time, GTS is where the CNU riding team rode. They are now at Amazing Grace Stables in Carrollton. The hay is high quality at GTS. Turn-out is at night, year-round.

If you must live in Hampton or Newport News and need a place to board your horse, come by and visit. It won’t suit everyone, but you can say that about nearly every stable or business or home.

The Hampton Roads area is hardly horse country. Add to that the presence of big bodies of water, and bridges and tunnels that make traffic awful. The advice here is to live on the same side of the water that you work on. I-64 can become a parking lot over the least little thing. You do not need an accident to cause a long backup. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard that there is a 7-mile backup at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. Even driving to Williamsburg can be a pain.

There are few other stables on this peninsula near Hampton or Newport News. Kentucky Farms on Orianna Road is another. I visited there when I was looking for a stable. It is a busy place. So busy that no one could be bothered to stop and say anything to us. I have been told that there are between 75-100 horses at this farm. But if you want on-site access to miles of trails, this is the place to be. It is at the end of a runway for a commercial airport and is an accident potential zone. There is a very small risk that a fighter jet or commercial plane might make an unscheduled landing (crash) there.

I have been told that the place behind the K-Mart in Hampton is a self-care place. It is on Seldendale Drive in Hampton.

I looked at two farms in Isle of Wight including Amazing Grace. Amazing Grace is a lovely facility and the people were friendly. But I had two horses at the time and could not afford to pay $600 a month for full board on each of them. Pasture board is in decent size turn-out lots with run-in sheds. I understand that the horses in each turn-out are limited so you don’t have overcrowding. It is a nice set-up. But from what I saw, don’t think pasture board is a big pasture with lush green grass.

I am glad I chose GTS. With working and family commitments, being on the other side of a river would have meant not going to the barn on many occasions. Even though the James River Bridge is a far easier drive than any of the tunnels, it has its moments too. This bridge is five miles long. Let one accident happen and see how fast it becomes a parking lot.

If you are willing to spend lots of time driving and don’t mind miles of backups, there are many stabling options in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk and Gloucester. Even getting to Gloucester requires going over the Coleman Bridge, a toll bridge. During rush hour, expect stop and go traffic in York County.

I have lived in several areas of Virginia. For a variety of reasons, I will be glad to move away from here. But for the time being, it’s home and I am enjoying the good things it has to offer. GTS is one of those good things.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    I'm going to be in Hampton, Virginia for about 9 weeks starting sometime in March and would like to take my new horse (long story, didn't really seek this guy out. He pretty much landed at my farm one day). I'm going to be spending more than I'd like during my trip and he currently lives out anyway so I'd prefer reasonable pasture board. Maintained tape fencing is ok, wire not so much. A ring would be great but not necessary. Trailer parking definitely necessary. Any recommendations?
    Was this Fortune, the horse that was the subject of your thread about the dispute over ownership?