The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    I do! Probably my favorite coat is a lovely olive green, and I miss the hunter green coats of days past. They looked SO sharp on a chestnut.
    I just happened to find a GP hunter green plaid at the local tack store for $25. Snatched that one right up! I love hunter green on my chestnut but really can't stand the herringbone or pinstripe normally seen. I'm totally thrilled.

I'm a former rider from the 70's and 80's and I love to walk a little on the wild side. My daughter just sported rust jods in the Small Pony Hunters this past weekend at WEF and she was 2nd and 3rd out of about a million, so the judge had no problem with her now unconventional jods. She had a million compliments on them from the trainers, but the other kids thought she was crazy for stepping outside the box. I should also mention that the same kid, always wears a brown helmet. She's a redhead and the brown just looks better on her.

My youngest won the 3 and under leadline at Upperville in 2008 wearing a tiny pair of rust jods I found a bunch of years ago. This kidi s now 9 and always wears a navy CO helmet. She's been champion twice this season in the Short Stirrup at WEF, so the colored helmet doesn't seem to bother anyone either.

I think you can do a little color as long as it's not too crazy. It lets you stand out from the crowd.

You can see photos of the rust on www.annegittins.com under small pony hunters on week 5.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by llsc
    My youngest won the 3 and under leadline at Upperville in 2008 wearing a tiny pair of rust jods
    How dare you post this and not attach a photo? COTH foul. You are held in contempt of the board until you post a picture! She must have looked adorable.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

Conservative? IMO the new fit like gogo boots defy all tradition. Let's remember how classy competitors like GM and Victor were in their black watch plaid, bright bow ties and pocket hankies were!!! I remember Jane Womble in her bold plaids one with a LOT of pink. RW personally chose my last coat... Oilve green, black velvet collar and POLY. Got red CH at hburg in it two years running. That said these new coats and their odd cuts art just tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post
    I'm a former rider from the 70's and 80's and I love to walk a little on the wild side. My daughter just sported rust jods in the Small Pony Hunters this past weekend at WEF and she was 2nd and 3rd out of about a million, so the judge had no problem with her now unconventional jods. She had a million compliments on them from the trainers, but the other kids thought she was crazy for stepping outside the box. I should also mention that the same kid, always wears a brown helmet. She's a redhead and the brown just looks better on her.

My youngest won the 3 and under leadline at Upperville in 2008 wearing a tiny pair of rust jods I found a bunch of years ago. This kidi s now 9 and always wears a navy CO helmet. She's been champion twice this season in the Short Stirrup at WEF, so the colored helmet doesn't seem to bother anyone either.

I think you can do a little color as long as it's not too crazy. It lets you stand out from the crowd.

You can see photos of the rust on www.annegittins.com under small pony hunters on week 5.
    1. These may be old skool but they're not UNtraditional colors

2. Few of us are as stinkin' cute as your girls. And they ride the hair right off those ponies too. You can afford to stand out when you're good and you know it
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I don't think the Just World coats are that horrible. I actually really like them, even for the hunters. I'm all for pushing the boundaries, but always in a classy way. I do think the Just World coat is more appropriate for a jumper class, but I'd consider wearing it in a hunter class.

I also think that hunter green, grey, and brown are completely traditional and acceptable colors, as well as a couple others. I also LOVE wearing my Grand Prix jacket with the piped collar in hunter classes. You will pry that thing out of my dead hands, along with my grey jacket. I LOVE the way my grey jacket looks on my dark bay.

I think I may be investing in a light(er) blue jacket after thinking this through....

I think there is a middle ground between Black and Navy........ and HOT PINK/SAFETY ORANGE. I think hunter green and a deep burgundy or deep purple would be refreshingly different yet classy. I'll say it again, I have a chestnut girl, I have green eyes, and a hunter green coat looks AMAZING. Plus I LOVE to be just a little different from the black and navy set.

I think as long as it does not distract from the horse it is ok, though I personally like my traditional colors! I normally show in a plain navy coat, but before I out grew my old bay roan pony, I had this great coat that was a lighter navy with a maroon lining. It looked excellent with a roan. It doesn't look as nice with my grey horse, so I'm back to wearing my plain navy coat most of the time. If I had a chestnut I'd love to use a green coat. In my opinion, its all about personal choice, just so long as, like I said earlier, it doesn't distract from your horse.

Here's a close-up of Francesca from Upperville. The other pictures don't seem to be working on her site. I had some pictures on Webshots, but lost them all when they updated. http://teresaramsay.com/details.php?gid=1247&pid=58990

Here is my older daughter at WEF last weekend in the Small Pony Hunters.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

I always loathed rust breeches and they were the thing when I was a JR, I was on the leading edge of the grey breech, baby blue rat catcher (remember that term?!) and Navy coat with baby blue lining. On my dapple grey. We looked sharp and won plenty in both the AA Jr Hunters, Eqs and USETS.
    I think a lot of colors would look nice as long as they are a bit muted. Like I would love a dusky plum coat.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well I showed IHSA Western for a hot minute, and even at that level it got rather fashion show-y. At first my friends and I were impressed because some of those shirts are GORGEOUS, but then my experienced Western friend told me what some people pay for a new custom-made shirt every year.

I think there's a fair amount of choice in colors, although I'd love to see some more color options for breeches. And I'll agree that some people can get the shirt/jacket combo down to an art. My biggest apparel complaint had been the lack of technical fabrics in riding clothes (really, WOOL coats in July?!) but between the softshell jackets, snap collars, and zip up boots I think that's changing pretty quickly.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I found a light brown/gray-ish with lighter striping a normally 450 coat for 75... oh I thought it would be nice on my new chestnut but - for hunters it's navy blue or black.. Hmmmm so I didn't get it. I talked myself into saving that money and ordering a custom coat since I have three coats in my closet that I don't like how they fit me.

I "do" like conservative colors but looking forward to going to one of the biggest shows here to see what it going on out there in Hunter land since I really am out of the loop.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post
    Here's a close-up of Francesca from Upperville. The other pictures don't seem to be working on her site. I had some pictures on Webshots, but lost them all when they updated. http://teresaramsay.com/details.php?gid=1247&pid=58990
    She is adorable! Love the "I got this" expression.

Your picture of your older daughter is private.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Cool

I always thought an extremely light weight coat in a lime green would be just the ticket.
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

I like the classic look too. I feel like I would stick out like a sore thumb if I was wearing something colorful! I just bought new attire this year as its my first year back in the show ring (in a long time!) and I swear its the same classy stuff I had when I was a junior (not saying how long ago that was!). With exception of the helmets though, Im too old for these bug looking helmets.