The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Since when is this "only traditional in the hunters" even happening? I have shown many times in a slate blue or tan/brown coat. That's not fluourescent but it's not only black/navy/charcoal either. And I got *mine* because everyone else was wearing them at the time (late 90's/early 2000's). With colorful shirts (I have a burgundy and a french blue one I can recall wearing a lot). I never got onto the crystal helmet bandwagon but egads, for a while I was sure I was the only one not to have pink sparkles on my noggin.

Equitation has remained more conservative than hunters.

With all due respect, there is a huge difference between a tan coat or even a slate blue coat and the JustWorld coats. They are very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    With all due respect, there is a huge difference between a tan coat or even a slate blue coat and the JustWorld coats. They are very bright.
    No kidding. I answered the question "nope" because I was thinking of untraditional colors. Muted shades of blue and pretty much any shade of brown and gray are considered traditional in my book.

Out of sheer curiosity, do you consider dark green to be traditional?

1 members found this post helpful.

I do! Probably my favorite coat is a lovely olive green, and I miss the hunter green coats of days past. They looked SO sharp on a chestnut.

I get that, but there is a decent amount of "only black/navy/charcoal with white shirts belong in the hunters" on this thread that is just plain puzzling. It's popular right now but it's still a trend -- and that trend will change. It always does.

Anyway, I think a class aimed at wearing bright colors is completely unnecessary but I wouldn't really MIND, per se. I just wouldn't show in it.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I don't believe I've ever seen an olive green coat. Do you have a photo you could share?

My favorite coat ever was French blue and I required years of therapy after it was literally pulled out of my hands by my mother, who insisted it didn't fit me anymore. She was right, but...
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

No. Hunters are about tradition...that does not include loud coats.

FWIW, I'm a JustWorld ambassador and I love my coat to death, but I would never dream of wearing it anywhere other than the jumpers.
    Exactly my feelings. If you want to wear colorful clothing be an eventer, or stick to the jumpers.

Renn, I have seen olive green coats, although not in recent years, they are ugly. This was back in the 1960s and maybe early 70s, light and medium blue were also popular then.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Renn, I have seen olive green coats, although not in recent years, they are ugly. This was back in the 1960s and maybe early 70s, light and medium blue were also popular then.
    Well, hopefully Ammy's isn't. I've seen some browns with olive tones that I didn't find particularly attractive but not one I'd call actually olive green. The problem is the breeches- so many things in the brown spectrum clash.
    - Harry Dresden

3 members found this post helpful.

- Harry Dresden

5 members found this post helpful.

Maybe calling it olive was going too far. I certainly don't think it is ugly! Definite brown undertones, but if you're standing in front of me it definitely reads greenish.

Edited to delete my photo and say that my coat is exactly the same as the "Medium Olive" examply below! Much better photo!
    Last edited by AmmyByNature; Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM.

Oh, I am soooo stealing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I don't believe I've ever seen an olive green coat. Do you have a photo you could share?

My favorite coat ever was French blue and I required years of therapy after it was literally pulled out of my hands by my mother, who insisted it didn't fit me anymore. She was right, but...
    I love olive green. I find HUNTER green to be a very unflattering and hard to wear color for my skin tone. But I love OLIVE...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...eattheshow.jpg (light olive)

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...02fixedcor.jpg (medium olive)

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...Woodedge12.jpg (darker olive)

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...t=00000003.jpg (not me riding)

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...t=00000012.jpg (again, not me- same coat as above photo)
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

My POV is that it's less about "tradition" and more about "not being distracting."

The horse is meant to be the focus in the hunters, not the rider. Wearing something that is "boldly" colored would be a distraction away from the horse.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

2 members found this post helpful.

Olive coats were big about 10 years ago. This "only navy or black with white shirts" is quite recent and has nothing to do with tradition. There's really not so much traditional about "hunters" jumping 8 fences in a ring and counting strides. And this is from someone who grew up showing hunters in the 1970's and could rock an outside course. And I had a pair of gray Harry Hall breeches that I loved, as well as rust. How's that for traditional?

2 members found this post helpful.

I like that, Ammy!

VXF- I actually really like dark hunter green. It's a good color for me. Olive isn't, which is unfortunate, as I like it on other people! I think my mental picture of olive green reads more in the green tones than the coats you and Ammy posted; I see those as being more brown.
    - Harry Dresden

I'll have to find a photo from 1994 -- rocking the hunter green coat on a bright chestnut in the hunters and the blindingly white (new pair for every horse show) polos in the eq.

I was totally stylin' back in the day.

I like earth tones much better than bright colours in jackets for hunters AND jumpers. I'm just not a bright jacket kind of gal I just brighten up with a lighter show shirt! Now a very deep colour burgandy would be all sorts of fabulous although I've never seen such a thing! It would retain those earth tones and not scream out loud "hey, look at me I'm a purple jacket"
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!