The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have a dark olive coat & really like it. I remember when madras coats were briefly the fashion in the 60s! I sure don't want to go back to those days, but I like seeing conservative departures from the navy blue "uniforms" so prevalent now. Agree that the clothing shouldn't distract from the horse though.

Seriously, I would kill a man for a dark (like a dark dark dark) burgundy hunt coat.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

1 members found this post helpful.

Ah, remember, there is formal AND informal attire for hunting/hunters: black, navy, or dark oxford gray coats with canary/buff/tan breeches and black (dress) boots and black hat for formal (formal season hunting), and earth-toned browns/greens/plaids with tan/gray/rust breeches and brown (field) boots (although black field boots are now in) and brown hat (although black is now also considered correct) for informal (cubbing/informal season hunting).

So ALL of those are correct in the show ring -- at the right time. If it is a "A"-rated division, a formal or stakes class, or at night, you ideally should only wear formal attire. Unrated or "C" divisions, or informal day classes, are where you should wear the informal attire - although formal attire is ALWAYS correct.

I won't get into the stock tie vs tie vs choker discussion, except to say please, no pre-tied stocks.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

SSR, totally OT to this, but I am under the impression that brown dress boots, while not common at all today, are as correct as brown field boots for cubbing. Do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    SSR, totally OT to this, but I am under the impression that brown dress boots, while not common at all today, are as correct as brown field boots for cubbing. Do you agree?
    Yes, that is correct, today brown dress boots are equally accepted as brown field boots for cubbing.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I like the conservative colors for hunter. And I like a brighter color for jumpers if you want. (I don't have a brighter colored coat, but LOVE the blues out there!). However, I do NOT like the white shirt all the time. I have to nix that and just go with one of my colored shirts regardless of fashion trends. And let's face it, most of the shirt colors are light enough to blend with the rest of the attire and it only shows a LITTLE anyway. But I do love the colored shirts. My new favorite is my pale yellow snap collared shirt. But I also love the blues and greens. Plus, white gets to dang dirty!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I spent 2 years showing hunter pleasure in breed shows and the "fashion show" aspect of it made me ill. It was all about standing out for the wrong reasons. So happy to be back in hunter-land with my "boring" navy jacket

That's what's nice about the hunters. If you hate the fashion stuff, you're going to be fine in navy and white. If you love the fashion aspect, you can spend hours coordinating your shirt to your coat and your coat to your horse. Neither one of you will be at and advantage or a disadvantage in the ring.

Wonderful!

4 members found this post helpful.

A friend of mine had the most gorgeous shirt/jacket combo - it was a light coral colored shirt, and a tweedish colored (not really gray, not really brown) hunt coat. Looked AMAZING on her chestnut.

Well, on HER on the chestnut. The jacket would have been a little too small for the horse.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

In person, those coats I posted are all clearly green and not brown. I have some brown coats too. I like variety within reason

I'm very pale. Forest green tends to wash me out. Black too. I find navy, gray, and "earth tones" much more flattering. I think forest green can look really sharp-- I just don't myself like that color on me. It looks GREAT with chestnut. Really classy.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I like seeing conservative in the hunter ring, but I also like breaking some rules. I will say the JWI coat is EXTREMELY bright blue - think of animo bright blue to contrast it. I'm usually very conservative with my colors - navy or dark gray, though I do love wearing rust with navy!

This summer I showed my friend's baby at a local fair show in some 'starter' classes and I'm not a fan of the show management (they are very drama-infused), so I wore my JWI coat in regular pleasure and equitation classes. It didn't really matter what we placed, it was just to get her out in the ring, so it wasn't a huge deal. It didn't do anything to our placings since she was first and second in them all, but it was a nice kick in the nuts for a couple hours! ;-)

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...89291184_n.jpg

Though I will say she looks much better with some matching rust
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...08175459_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Seriously, I would kill a man for a dark (like a dark dark dark) burgundy hunt coat.
    Me, too.

As the owner of some beautiful western tack, I think we could branch out in the hunters and look awesome doing it.

With respect to the rather gentile nod to tradition, don't forget that Western World has its own long and beautiful traditions, too. All can be bastardized with bling; all can be done well.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If it were still REALLY all about tradition, horses wouldn't be crawling around the ring and striding wouldn't be mandatory whether you were 15.2 or 17.2.

Oops - am I showing my age?

C
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Out of sheer curiosity, do you consider dark green to be traditional?
    yes
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Late 60's early 70's Olive green, and brown hunt coats, brown field boots, rust breeches, plaid or paisley chokers. Brown hunt caps. Navy hunt caps were very popular too. I haven't seen a hunter class in years. Have no idea what's popular now.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    If it were still REALLY all about tradition, horses wouldn't be crawling around the ring and striding wouldn't be mandatory whether you were 15.2 or 17.2.
    Take that, you people who want the Western Pleasure Hunter while dissing the WP bling and fashion show silliness!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I do not want loud colors. I love the more traditional and classic look.

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    I like seeing conservative in the hunter ring, but I also like breaking some rules. I will say the JWI coat is EXTREMELY bright blue - think of animo bright blue to contrast it. I'm usually very conservative with my colors - navy or dark gray, though I do love wearing rust with navy!

This summer I showed my friend's baby at a local fair show in some 'starter' classes and I'm not a fan of the show management (they are very drama-infused), so I wore my JWI coat in regular pleasure and equitation classes. It didn't really matter what we placed, it was just to get her out in the ring, so it wasn't a huge deal. It didn't do anything to our placings since she was first and second in them all, but it was a nice kick in the nuts for a couple hours! ;-)

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...89291184_n.jpg

Though I will say she looks much better with some matching rust
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...08175459_n.jpg
    That is definitely bright! I really love the rust breeches with navy jacket.

Would you like to see less conservative colors in the hunter ring?

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    I saw the article about blue coats for a better world and thought how nice it would be to have a show/class where participants could use less conservative colors? I think it would be tremendous fun. What do you think and what color would you wear?
    No thank you

There is a Just World hunt coat on their website that is the more traditional navy blue. $840+ it says.