The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keeping my black horse from bleaching out!

I have a young 2 year old black gelding that will be showing on this line this year in HB classes. I am wondering what are some tricks and what have worked/didn't work and products that are worth buying.

He will be clipped and kept inside during the day and outside at night but there will be overlap where he will be out in the sun.

What are some products that you have used that have worked?

I had him on some SmartDark and Handsome and that seemed to help a lot too.

Hair products with sunscreen, and a turnout schedule like you already described. That's about it.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

I know there is another thread about this that can give insight to the nutritional aspects, but I kept my black horse from bleaching by keeping a sun-sheet on him whenever he is outside and didn't need a blanket. He used to bleach, but since I've done this he has remained black and unbleached 24/7/365.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Forgot: maybe a flysheet for turnout so during the overlap periods, he's covered?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

It seems like mine has bleached considerably less since I started a cup of flax seed to his feed daily.

sun blocking flysheet with a hood and mask for turnout

Thank you everyone!

we have a black arab mare that bleaches out to palomino every summer...last year we put her on this: http://www.horse.com/item/horse-heal...oat/SLT700305/ and she stayed solid black the entire summer. go figure. :/ moved a lot better, too!!

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    It seems like mine has bleached considerably less since I started a cup of flax seed to his feed daily.
    I am glad you mentioned this. I started feeding flax a couple of years ago and found last summer that he did not bleach out. I did bring them inside during the hottest part of the day so not sure whether it was the flax or because they were in.

I really am interesting in the flax seed. Do you guys used the ground up or the whole seeds?

Quote Originally Posted by raisethebar View Post
    I really am interesting in the flax seed. Do you guys used the ground up or the whole seeds?
    I googled this just last night. There are sites saying they can't digest whole seeds and sites saying they can. There are sites saying to soak the seeds first, and sites saying do NOT soak the seeds. There are sites saying to boil the seeds first, and sites that say do NOT boil the seeds.

I don't know how we (regular horse people without access to scientific laboratories) can know for sure.

There seems to be agreement that if you're going to grind the seeds, you have to feed them immediately; and if you're going to buy them ground, you have to buy them "stabilized."

I am planning to start mine on whole flax seeds.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

When I began using flax seeds I was told to purchase a coffee grinder and grind the seeds into a powder in this. Worked very well.

I know ppl need to grind the seed to get the benefit of the fatty acids. You (human) would get the benefit of the seed husk (fiber) without grinding, but I think most ppl are using it for the omegas 3s. The benefit to horse's skin/coat would be the fatty acids.

So, with horses, their molars are the equivalent of a coffee grinder, but I am not sure how much of what we give them they would grind. My horses have all been inhalers.

No need to grind the flax for horses - their digestive system breaks apart the hull and digests the seed just fine Their teeth undoubtedly do very little to grind these small seeds - it's their very caustic GI juices that do the work.

Flax really keeps horses from bleaching? where's the best place to get flax seed for a good price?

Quote Originally Posted by raisethebar View Post
    I feed Flaxappeal, I think it is by Brooks. It has a preservative so it doesn't get rancid.

I buy whole flax seed in 50lb bags at the local feed store. It is really cheap. Most days I grind it in the coffee grinder for my three, but if I am traveling or in a hurry, I don't bother grinding. They are happy either way. My non-picky eaters gobble it right up. My picky girl doesn't love it but she eats it.

If you give your horse either flax seed or flax oil it will help with bleaching.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Flax didn't help my black horse at all. He was slick and shiny and healthy-looking, yes, but bleached out all the same.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!