The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Am I the only one who has an easy keeper TB?

He gets fed the same thing my Arabs do, although of course in different quantities because he's bigger.

Blue Seal Trotter pellets and plenty of hay. He gets 2 quarts of Trotter twice a day, along with all the hay he'll eat. It's kept him sleek and in good weight for the last 3 years.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post

He gets fed the same thing my Arabs do, although of course in different quantities because he's bigger.

Blue Seal Trotter feed pellets and plenty of hay. He gets 2 quarts of Trotter twice a day, along with all the hay he'll eat. It's kept him sleek and in good weight for the last 3 years.
    They do exist! I've had four here who just need free-choice hay (or pasture) and a 1lb of ration balancer once a day.

They have all been older, though...they seem to hit 10, and all of a sudden life is easy for them.

I wouldn't call my 4yo mare a hard keeper....she is not hard to put weight on, but she does need a certain number of calories every day to keep her weight up, in addition to free choice, good quality hay.

JJ just turned 9 but I've had him since he was 5, and he's always been easy to keep weight on.

Of course, to him 'standing still' is a perfectly acceptable gait under saddle. If he gets any more laid back, he's going to slip into a coma!
    Last edited by arabhorse2; Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Ultium, Alfalfa pellets, and beet pulp, but I have heard great things about TC senior.

Hay is SO important- free choice quality hay or as close to it as possible. I actually prefer giving mine as much has as possible in a small hole hay net - made a huge difference in his attitude.

Blue Seal Trotter pellets and plenty of hay. He gets 2 quarts of Trotter twice a day, along with all the hay he'll eat. It's kept him sleek and in good weight for the last 3 years.
    Once we got ulcers under control, mine was/is a SUPER easy keeper. He's on a diet right now and is getting about 2.5 lbs feed per day...

The fatty stallion I posted is an easy keeper. Hay and a bit of feed is all he needs, thus the lifetime barn name of Porky.

Of course, somebody still managed to do this to him in 5 months, so even an easy keeper needs good care:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=250789d0a7
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=53997dfe65

Today:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=a925fd36af

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Starhouse - that is not the same horse!

One of the best before and afters I have ever seen. You should be proud!
    Thanks It is the same horse, her socks match and everything Her 'tude matches too.

Once we treated Bluey's ulcers, he got 1 lb a day of TC Senior and a vitamin/mineral supplement. I never found a ration balancer that didn't make him bonkers.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My TBs are on similar feeds. Both get grass hay and the 6 year old gets one flake alfalfa at night (other horse is 20 and only is trail riden). Big scoop rice bran, 2 scoops timothy pellets and supplements: SmartOmega 3, smart TLC (anti-inflammatory) and hoof supplement.

Young TB is in training and needs to focus especially when we are rained out of the rings for days and weeks. So this combination works for both and the anti-inflammatory has made the young guy more willing to use his body. He is starting lateral movement at this time and I ran out for 2 weeks and the trainer was complaining about him being a bit more baulky.

Lucky gets local feed (not a lot as he doesn't work much), and all the hay he cares to eat. Right now, some grass, lots of alfalfa since that's what the local suppliers have. We try to keep hay in front of him pretty much 24/7. Keeps his digestion happy (and now he only eats the grass mix if there is nothing else on offer-he's getting picky and only wants the alf.) In the summer we'll cut back, unless of course it's as dry as last year (please no), when the paddocks got grazed down to dust. People were running out of hay because the grass wasn't growing and they had to supplement.

Both of my OTTB's are on Tribute Feeds. Prior to that Buckeye. Both of which can be had in Ohio... both are good feeds. My older OTTB (he's a little bit of a hard keeper) gets 5# of Kalm Ultra/day and 1# of Essential K (ration balancer)/day, and my younger OTTB gets 3# Kalm Ultra and 1# Essential K and they look great and do well.. no issues with losing their minds, etc. And currently, they are both outta work! Ohio winters with no indoor...
    Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - "My Horse, My Heart <3"

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    Triple Crown Senior or a feed by my local southern states called Triple 10 sweet feed.
    I start with a 50/50 mix of the Triple 10/14S Pellets (another SS feed). If that isn't enough I go up to TC Senior.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Mine gets anxious on too much grain. She also needed weight for a while and is a fussy eater.

I give her a great high fiber grain (Fibremax by Poulin), beet pulp shreds, and hay pellets. I have a giant trash can, and mix up a custom blend: 1 50lb bag of the Fibremax, 1 50lb bag of hay pellets, and 1 40lb bag of the beet pulp shreds. She then eats ~3lbs (dry) of this, soaked in warm water, twice a day, and gets another ~1.5lbs at night check. I sprinkle a 1/2 cup of ground flax on most nights for dinner. She has a winter coat that is soft and shiny, and is a perfect weight.

As a bonus...she was originally eating 3lbs of the Fibremax per feeding, and at $20 a bag it was killing me. The three bags of stuff total $42, and fill the can that lasts her almost a whole month. SO much cheaper than feeding a "prepackaged" grain product entirely.

She is coming-5, and in pretty regular work for a 4yo greenie in the winter.

Edit: Here's a picture (https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...74853308_n.jpg) that pretty accurately represents just how shiny she is. And I am not a big elbow grease person. Excuse the awkward angle that makes her neck look weird!
    OMG $42 for a month? Really? I don't have access to Poulin feeds here, does anyone know of something that would compare to the Fibre-Max?

GoForAGallop what kind of hay pellets do you use?
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    OMG $42 for a month? Really? I don't have access to Poulin feeds here, does anyone know of something that would compare to the Fibre-Max?

GoForAGallop what kind of hay pellets do you use?
    Yes really! Like I said...I was feeding her entirely "grain" and it was killing me, cost-wise...I had to find someway to bring the costs down.

Here is the Fibremax stats...what brands DO you have access to?:
    http://www.poulingrain.com/product_d...&category_id=3

And I just use the Poulin hay pellets, mostly alfalfa. I use these particular ones because, like I said, they're $10 a 50lb bag, and she doesn't seem to mind the soy. They double-duty as a feed for my IR mare, as they come in at like 6% NSC. When I first got her and was focused on getting large amounts of weight on her, I did straight alfalfa pellets, the Standlee ones from Tractor Supply. I like these because they are the size of your typical grain pellet, so do not need long soaking periods:
    http://www.poulingrain.com/product_d...&category_id=3

Lets see, I have access to Purina, Nutrena, Buckeye, Triple Crown (far away though) and PennField, oh and maybe BlueSeal. I've been searching since I saw your post and haven't found anything yet. Right now I have him on Pennfield Fibregized and that runs me roughly $86 a month.

Wow if I could do that I would cut my feed bill in half!

Hmmm.. I wonder if mixing that with beep shreds and alfalfa pellets... hmmm he's iffy on alfalfa pellets though, the last time I tried to add them to his feed he absolutely refused to eat, which is strange for him because he's not picky and pretty much likes every meal he meets.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Lets see, I have access to Purina, Nutrena, Buckeye, Triple Crown (far away though) and PennField, oh and maybe BlueSeal. I've been searching since I saw your post and haven't found anything yet. Right now I have him on Pennfield Fibregized and that runs me roughly $86 a month.

Wow if I could do that I would cut my feed bill in half!
    What about just leaving him on the Fibregized? If you drop it down to just a third of the meal, mixed in with cheaper beet pulp and hay pellets, then that alone will decrease your feed bill quite a bit.

I saw a noticeable difference when I moved my horses to Strategy Healthy Edge. I don't feed a ton of grain though. Most get 3-6lbs per day, where broodmares get 12lbs per day. I also feed hay all the time. They are on roundbales 24/7. And I add 3-6lbs of alfalfa pellets per day. I top it off with weight builder for the harder keepers.

I was thinking the fibregized would prolly work mixing that stuff is going to be challenging. It's kind of gooey and hard to deal with when its cold. Soaking it won't be an issue either since the BO feeds soaked beep pellets to his horses anyway.