The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wonderful family dog in NC needs new home asap

My parents need to rehome their 4yr old blue tick/pit (???) cross, Josie. She is kid-/cat-/dog-friendly and convinced that the vast majority of her life should be spent on "her" couch. She loves going for car rides and especially appreciates when dad hits the McD's drive thru so she gets very own Happy Meal. Yes, she's spoiled rotten and isn't that just how it should be?

Unfortunately, due to my father's health, they are no longer to give her the care she deserves--I'll happily go into specifics individually, but not on the BB. I immediately offered to take her even though my lifestyle and home isn't the best situated to a dog, but both parents feel that it would be too hard for them to see her regularly and not be able to take her back home, not to mention being confusing for Josie.

She is ~70lbs (in need of a diet!), healthy and up-to-date on all care, and very rarely barks. She's probably the quietest dog I've ever met. As far as bad habits, she does beg at the dinner table, but will go away if asked (I realize this is a bad human-created problem, don't blame me!) and she's been allowed to spend most of her outdoor time off-leash, so she'll likely need a leash manners refresher course. But otherwise, she is an absolute love. Oh, and she's been to the barn where I board once--she was very well-behaved, but definitely confused by the big "dogs." I think with a minimal adjustment period, she'd be a great farm dog.

Because I'd like to have her placed asap, it's fastest if you'll email me rather than pm (plus my inbox needs a clean out)--jenstout.nc@gmail.com. Thanks!

Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93197533@N06/ (Let me know if they don't work for you!)
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

One quick addendum. I've spoken with a few people who are far more breed savvy than I am and the current speculation on breeding for Josie is Catahoula mix. Regardless, she's a cuddle bug. And quiet enough that she'd be a great apartment dog.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I really, really really hate having allergies . You know I'm nearly at a dog having phase of life.....ugh. I hate allergies. How much does she shed?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Minimally. I promise. My stepmother is neurotically neat and would die over excess dog hair. And I'll chip in for Claritin!

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Minimally. I promise. My stepmother is neurotically neat and would die over excess dog hair. And I'll chip in for Claritin!
    Check your phone messages! :-D
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

good luck finding her a home, she sounds fabulous!

Thanks, equinekingdom. Josie is still available and I'm happy to deliver her up and down the east coast to a loving home....

Just bumping for you, as the pics show an absolutely gorgeous girl! How sad for your parents

How is she with (multiple) other dogs?
    HRMT

Thanks for the bump. She is GREAT with other dogs. Actually visits the neighbors dogs daily (for play and a second dinner!) and the neighbor just shuts her in the pen with them. Fabulous with cats, free range poultry, ducks, etc. She's lazy enough, that I can't imagine that she would have problems with many critters.

I will add that she was a stray for a year or so. On two occasions, she has been minding her own doggie business and another dog got aggressive with her. She did NOT instigate, but she wasn't going to back down either. One of these times, I dived into the middle to separate the dogs and Josie was immediately polite and passive while the other dog had to be restrained and physically removed from the immediate area. I have no doubt that she'd defend herself, and likely her people, but I would also totally trust her not to start a scuffle.

So is the thought that she is not a pit mix? I have a freind with a love of a Catahoula mix -best dog ever.

But some places have gotten really unforgiving of pit crosses. I have been looking for a dog but maryland has gotten really legally funky about pit mixes.

I can't swear to anything (DNA testing hasn't been done--for what that's worth), but if you need a vet to assert that she's not a pit, I can arrange that I'm sure.

Just wanted to bump this up. I had a long talk with my dad over the weekend and I've been instructed to push harder to find Josie a home.

She just had her annual vet visit--negative for everything and is vaccinated and remains on flea/tick/heartworm preventative and they bought several months worth to send with her. She is AMAZING with kids, dogs, cats, free range poultry, and doesn't even seem bothered by squirrels.

Do you know how she is with young children? Toddler age?