The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default erratic behavior changes: any advice

My horse has textbook signs and symptoms of ulcers. He has become cranky and pissy lately. Within the last 24 hours, he has become evil, bordering on dangerous. He tried to kick a stable hand when she put on his blanket. He actually tried to make contact. He also bit her 2x. He hipchecked the barn owner (whom he loves) and then broke from cross ties and got loose. Could this be from increased stress and ulcers? I've know this horse for over a year and this is completely out of character for him.

Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    My horse has textbook signs and symptoms of ulcers. He has become cranky and pissy lately. Within the last 24 hours, he has become evil, bordering on dangerous. He tried to kick a stable hand when she put on his blanket. He actually tried to make contact. He also bit her 2x. He hipchecked the barn owner (whom he loves) and then broke from cross ties and got loose. Could this be from increased stress and ulcers? I've know this horse for over a year and this is completely out of character for him.
    Other things to check out are chiropractic issues (a rib out can really make them nuts!) or muscle disorders like PSSM/EPSM.

If it were my horse, I think I would get the chiropractor out because a rib out or similar is a quick fix. Then go from there.

Ditto Fine ^
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I would get the vet out, and have him checked out for neurological problems.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    I would get the vet out, and have him checked out for neurological problems.
    Or lyme, maybe?

I guess one caveat to my chiropractor suggestion is that I only ever use chiropractors that are also vets, so anyone I would have out would also assess for other concerns (neuro, etc.).

So I guess my recommendation should be amended to say that if it was my horse I would have a vet that also does chiropractic out to look at the horse.

1 members found this post helpful.