The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ocala crime statistics

I'm considering a move to Ocala but when looking at crime statistics it is pretty scary. Murder, rape and robbery all much higher than FL average which is already higher than where I live. Why is crime so bad in Ocala and what areas should I avoid to keep safe as a single woman living alone with dogs and horses? I would have expected crime to be low around all the horse farms in a fairly small sized city.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

according to the FDLE it's well below FL average - about 34th in rank? (indexed per 100,000 stat)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Almost all of FL is kind of scary, crime-wise. You just have to be smart and aware of your surroundings.

Check out www.city-data.com. They have a forum for Florida and a sub-category for the particular areas (yours would probably be orlando, unless they have a specific Ocala category). Lots of great information on there - it was very helpful to me when I made the decision to move to FL.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Do what we did and move to Gainesville instead!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

1 members found this post helpful.

I second that vote for Gainesville! Florida is a wonderful state 20 years living here and I've never had any sort of incident ever... thankfully

2 members found this post helpful.

Take matters into your own hands

I lived in Ocala, and was single. Never felt unsafe.

There are some crazy peeps in FL though. LOL
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I recently moved from the NE to the SE and did the same thing... scared myself with crime statistics. I'm a single gal with pets too... best thing I did was spend a little time in the area before I moved. I used the city's crime tracking website (not sure if Ocala has one for city/county) and it said basically every area of the city was bad, however when I visited and eventually moved I found it wasn't as bad as the websites portrayed. Just do your research. I think you'll find that most areas aren't as bad as the internet portrays (IMO). Good luck!

And naters- there are freeky peeps everywhere lol

Ocala proper, downtown I can see maybe there is a crime issue, however if you live out where the horse farms are I don't think there is big problem. Where I live in Florida there are some neighborhoods that are extremely safe, some that are middle of the road and then only a few miles away an area where 90% of the crime occurs, so yes get on city forums and find the right place in Ocala to live. I go there all the time and have never felt "scared." Gainesville is nice but has some not so great areas just like Ocala.

You could always go hang out in The Villages! ) Although I'm not sure they allow ponies there other than polo?

I'm looking at possibly moving to FL, since my mother and in-laws both just did. From what i read here, you are all happy in FL.. are the summers unbearable? Up in the NE, the winters are getting unbearable for me, as are the taxes and cost of living.

I'm not going to go dig out the references because I don't have time at the moment - just killing a few minutes here before a conference call. But, in general, crime rates are higher in the south than in the north because of the climate. In Florida and other warmer climates, people are out and about all year round, so the seasonal spike in crimes you see up north in the summer is pretty much a year-round event in the south. If you do a statistical analysis in which you control for the effects of climate, the crime rates are pretty similar north and south. In general.