The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Registry Options

I have after 7 years of discussion/research decided to breed my TB mare. She is EXTREMELY well bred (same sire as Cigar) and has great conformation. Her registered name is Musical Pal (so you can double check if you don't believe me). There are a couple issues with breeding her. One is that I have to do Embryo Transfer due to damage to her cervix from a previous breeding and two failed attempts at surgery to get her to carry to term. So I cannot have a TB foal that is registrable. The other is that her papers were lost in the airplane crash outside of Lexington, KY seven years ago. I can get access to her breeding barcode, but not her papers. I am looking at breeding her to the Selle Francais Stallion Crin Rouge. Due to the fact that her papers are long destroyed, what are my registrations options for the foal. I have absolutely no intention of ever selling the foal, but you never know what can happen. I understand that most Warmblood registries want a copy of the mare's papers which is impossible, but she is tattooed and I can get access to her TB breeding barcode. Does anyone know of any registries that will accept those as proof of her own breeding? She too old for TB DNA (she is 22), but should be bloodtyped with the Jockey Club. So,yeah, help would be greatly appreciated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you contacted the Jockey Club? I was able to get duplicate papers for my TB with an affidavit and around $200. She was also an older model, so AHS required a DNA sample from both her and her foal for registration.

Worth the effort to get her in the MMB of a reputable registry IMHO.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    Have you contacted the Jockey Club? I was able to get duplicate papers for my TB with an affidavit and around $200. She was also an older model, so AHS required a DNA sample from both her and her foal for registration.

Good Luck
    I'm in a similar situation! I would LOVE to get the duplicate papers for my mare, but when I called the jockey club , they were extremely discouraging and rude. What affidavit did they require? My mare is 8 - is that too old for the DNA sample? I spent half the day reading their website and didn't see that mentioned anywhere as a alternate solution. Her tattoo is easily readable.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Victoria~

If DNA/blood types or pedigree information for a registered Thoroughbred are needed in connection with registering a non-Thoroughbred foal with another registry, please have the applicable registry contact The Jockey Club directly for more information.

Please note, this is not related to obtaining duplicate papers. To obtain duplicate papers you must fulfill the requirements of Rule 9 of the Principal Rules and Requirements of the American Stud Book (see http://www.jockeyclub.com/registry.asp?section=3#nine).

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post

Good Luck

This. Get her papers if you want to register the foal.

Anyone you talk to at the JC will tell you that you can't get the papers, but really it's not that difficult in real life. You need a bill of sale and to say how the papers were lost to begin with.
    The rebel in the grey shirt