The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

I've been off of the COTH for quite a while and saw mention of Jill Burnell on an email from thehorse.com. After catching up on a lot of reading -- Whew ...just wow! Kudos to all of those who put so much time, effort, and heart into trying to do right by Jill's human & equine victims. What a damn mess!

On topic-
    From a business perspective, I have been completely surprised / baffled that those buying / attempting to buy / standing Jill Burnell's stallions do not seem to have thought through the PR aspect ahead of time. Because the Jill Burnell story has gone far beyond defrauding mare owners (bad enough) and is now an abuse / neglect case involving lots of people investing time & money into attempting to clean up Jill's messes - helping mare owners & supporting the Marin County Humane Society; anybody involved is going to be under the public opinion microscope. It is what it is, and honesty & transparency is the way to go.

I am still baffled by the Romantic Star non-purchase lawyer situation. Historically, California has some of the strongest consumer protection laws; and I am just not understanding how the seller's attorney can also represent the buyer's interests in a given transaction. Any lawyers out there who can explain how that would work? I'm just curious. The few times that I have worked with law firms, step one was that they had to check their records to see if they had done any work for the other parties.

I'm with everyone else in hoping that the horses all land softly & that Jill Burnell faces the full legal consequences of all of the pain she wrought -- and is permanently out of the horse business.

Carry on.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteup View Post
    I'm the one that posted on the Redwine FB page stating that Jill still owned Redwine. That sparked the "We are leasing but working on buying" comment. I asked after that post if Jill was getting any money, and both my posts got deleted. My opinion is that if they want to stand the stallion, they should be willing to answer these questions. Didn't they know this was coming?!
    I posted today that while I thought it was a good thing both stallions were in better hands, mare owners should think twice about rushing in to breed to either of them, as the legal owner could just take them back, resulting in the same sort of heartache as the mare owners that bred to them in the past.... something of that nature, my post not only got deleted, but I'm blocked from the page now.

if these people hoped to have any sort of better reputation, they really should be able to withstand all the questions and comments concerning these stallions and their (from what we can surmise) LEGAL owner.

10 members found this post helpful.

I really wonder how much homework they did ... and if they thought people were that stupid and buy the story without asking any questions!!
    They are hurting their reputation in a big way but there will always be MOs that only see the bling and don't think any further.

4 members found this post helpful.

To be honest, I am not sure why anyone would choose these stallions at this point when there are so many other choices out there. I feel badly for the new farms but yes the controversy is not going to just disappear. Too many people hurt and deceived.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I would hope Ashland has a contract that includes confiscation for lack of payment. (
    If that happens, I hope Ashland is lawyered up.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Not to intentionally bring this topic to the top of the list again but a final comment made here might just end this rather "insightful" topic. Has there not already been a post made about a privacy clause perhaps being in place with respect to the sale/lease whatever of these two stallions? I think that obviously answers a lot of questions about why the parties involved are not posting publically on a website......just saying. I don't think there is a cover-up or anything of the sort involved. And given the owner of the stallions at the time of the deal it would probably have been a wise position for her to take.

Who cares what the reasoning is? If they posted the contract online, word for word, I wouldn't breed to either stallion for free at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by cherham View Post
    Not to intentionally bring this topic to the top of the list again but a final comment made here might just end this rather "insightful" topic. Has there not already been a post made about a privacy clause perhaps being in place with respect to the sale/lease whatever of these two stallions? I think that obviously answers a lot of questions about why the parties involved are not posting publically on a website......just saying. I don't think there is a cover-up or anything of the sort involved. And given the owner of the stallions at the time of the deal it would probably have been a wise position for her to take.
    That, a privacy clause, would be a PR disaster. Marketing/PR 101 in adversity is to disclose as much as you can to prevent rumor and negative campaigning by others. Nobody involved with these lovely horses have done so and thus are making it only harder for themselves, if not destroying too much goodwill from others.

I've watched this train wreck of a situation, and I just don't get it. THis is a high profile case for the horse world with much money at stake. Hire a marketing consultant, or spokes person for a few hours/days to protect your investment. This is a business.