The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Different people have different levels of tolerance for this stuff. It wasn't just this BB. She was getting calls from "helpful" stallion owners telling her she had ruined her business, emails and private messages from people who had NO BUSINESS bothering her. She rode it out for several weeks and it did not improve, so she pulled the plug. Her choice.
    Exactly, Laurie. It was considered as part of a business decision. Now if a person wanted to take him home and love him and hold him and call him George, then there might be more tolerance for everything that happened. But as a business decision, the constant barrage of misinformation, speculation, as well as the money it was costing would have to be considered (as well as the fact breeding season is just around the corner and the horse was still not available). In other words, some COTH posters cannot sell themselves short, you were part fo the reason. Give yourself a big old pat on the back for a job well done.

I have to say, Redwine under the management of Popeye K's breeder is almost poetic.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

10 members found this post helpful.

Different people have different levels of tolerance for this stuff. It wasn't just this BB. She was getting calls from "helpful" stallion owners telling her she had ruined her business, emails and private messages from people who had NO BUSINESS bothering her. She rode it out for several weeks and it did not improve, so she pulled the plug. Her choice.
    The problem was she had never actually purchased the horse. I'm sure getting caught up in the legal misdeeds of JB didnt help any.

6 members found this post helpful.

Glad these two boys landed softly.

I sure hope things with RS work out for his favor in the end.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    I have to say, Redwine under the management of Popeye K's breeder is almost poetic.
    Ha, I agree! Especially considering it was Popeye K's popularity and success that helped trigger the craze for chromey hunter stallions, and sent JillB on her quest to try to corner the market in BLACK blingy stallions. I guess she figured that if RED BAY with chrome was so popular, BLACK with chrome would be even more of a hit - and she was proven right, given the number of breeders who went totally ga-ga over him.

what about the lien on Aloha?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Because like everyone else on this board and the land of the free North American continent, I'm allowed to post my opinion. Not that freedom of expression has stopped you from posting YOUR opinion around here, or stopped you from being nasty.
    I hate to break this to you but there is a difference between opinion and ASSumption. Your post falls into the ASSumption category.

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    The problem was she had never actually purchased the horse. I'm sure getting caught up in the legal misdeeds of JB didnt help any.
    Whether or not any money had changed hands, in the eyes of the BUYER AND SELLER, you know, the only two actually involved, he WAS sold. Transportation had been arranged and pickup was imminent when it all went south. So it really doesn't matter if YOU consider him sold. The two contractually involved people DID.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

7 members found this post helpful.

so ... is Jill suing her for breach of contract now? Nothing would surprise me...

Whether or not any money had changed hands, in the eyes of the BUYER AND SELLER, you know, the only two actually involved, he WAS sold. Transportation had been arranged and pickup was imminent when it all went south. So it really doesn't matter if YOU consider him sold. The two contractually involved people DID.
    Due to the circumstances it was highly suspicious that no money changed hands, no bill of sale could be produced (according to court docs.) Obviously it DID matter to the authorities.

sold past participle, past tense of sell (Verb)
    Verb
    1.Give or hand over (something) in exchange for money: "they had sold the car".
    Last edited by Acertainsmile; Feb. 14, 2013 at 01:47 PM.

7 members found this post helpful.

Jill and Ronda were not strangers. Ronda ad gotten at least one mare in the past from Jill, maybe more. When she let Jill know she was not going to go through with the sale, there was no drama. It just didn't happen. So why continue to invent even MORE crap in reference to this sale?

There was NOTHING suspicious, ACS. Stop stirring the pot. ANY contractual deal is no more than an agreement between two or more parties. If the TWO in this contract are cool, why can't you be? And people are saying that this board ad nothing o do with it! Hahahaha!! Perfect example right here.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Laurie perhaps only relevant from neighbors looking in view point. People didn't understand/were curious why the MHS would not let Ronda take RS after he was vetted and his aliments seemed to be able to be cared for as an out patient. Since her statement was "own/Purchased on Dec 18th"

Again people were curious why Ronda was suing MHS to gain ownership of RS.

All things become clear and relevant with this statement "no bill of sale could be produced"

Without a contract or bill of sale he legally/ on paper did not belong to Ronda at time of seizure...intent to purchase or not. Period. That being said there doesn't have to be anything nefarious about it ... just a basic answer to why things were being handled the way they were.

Its disappointing she backed out of taking him but considering the legal nightmare it would have been I understand.

"I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Seems to me that no bill of sale is not the buyer's fault, and would be par for the course with the rest of JB's business dealings.

From a legal standpoint, having a purchase agreement and having a sale are two very different things. A purchase agreement governs what is to happen in order to complete a sale (transfer of title) and a sale means that title on the asset has actually passed to the new owner. These are HUGELY different. They could have had a signed purchase agreement whereby Jill was legally obligated to sell the horse to RSF, however if the terms of that agreement (most likely actual delivery of the stallion and his papers) were not honored, title would not have passed to RSF, nor would she have been obligated to pay for the stallion. If you were buying a stallion, would you send off a huge sum of money to someone who has a history of reneging on deals? No. You'd pay on delivery and/or put the sum in escrow pending arrival of the horse. This is total speculation, but she probably had a signed purchase agreement, the horse wasn't delivered, the lawyers (from the sounds of it) made some wild representations in the paperwork that was filed (price paid for RS?) that made RSF uncomfortable with how things were being handled, so she decided the best course of action was to remove herself from the situation. I can't say I blame her in any way. If I had the opportunity to get a good price on a horse I'd wanted for ages, I'd jump on it. If that deal went sour, I'd bail too.

This scenario makes perfect sense if you think about it. Jill was probably panicking because she needed the money from the sale of RS to pay her legal fees, and having RSF foot the bill by having the same attorney was a way she could attempt to do that until the stallion could be released and delivered. No stallion, no deal? No money, no lawyer? Could be.

Meanwhile another stallion owner hears about the scandal, sees a great business opportunity and jumps on it. I bet the layover in Kentucky was part of the deal- horses arrive into a facility where they are out of Jill's hands, get examined for health, registry papers get taken care of, lien gets paid off, money is transferred, and voila- done deal. The stallions then make their merry way to Canada where they will be well-fed and well-managed.

10 members found this post helpful.

So yes, they could have had a written purchase agreement but no bill of sale (which would be a document indicating the sale had been completed and title had passed). If there isn't a bill of sale and the stallion hasn't been delivered, then technically it's not a completed sale and RSF wouldn't have had title. It would then be a civil court matter for RSF to try to get back any funds she was owed by JB (and we all know how that turns out). Would Jill legally obligated to either deliver the stallion or repay RSF? Yes. But that doesn't constitute a completed sale until consideration has changed hands and the terms of the purchase agreement have been met. More speculation, but if the lawyers (or Jill) improperly represented the terms of the sale (price paid, in particular) they would not want to produce proof in the form of a purchase agreement or bill of sale. To me it sounds strictly like the shady dealings were (once again) on the part of JB and the lawyers.

3 members found this post helpful.

Laurie have you read your previous posts on this thread? Talk about stirring the pot! Just waiting to see if someone starts "vilifying" the new owners in Canada, you're too much!

8 members found this post helpful.

Hmmmm. Interesting. Ashland Farm just posted on their website the following:

"Happy Valentines day to all broodmares in North America.....Redwine and Aloha will be standing at Ashland Farm for the 2013 breeding season !!!"

Doesn't say they bought them........

But I guess it's still better that they are with reputable handlers.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

darlene is very excited about getting these boys and I believe they bought them not just management.

instead of wondering you all could just ask them, they are very nice and open people!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have asked on their facebook page.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

While we appreciate the support regarding Jill's nonpayment for the Stallion Test, this matter will be handled in private and ask for your cooperation in keeping it private and professional for the parties now involved. There has been enough turmoil in this situation and we (Silver Creek Farms) certainly don't want to be a contributing party. Thanks in advance!

15 members found this post helpful.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    Laurie have you read your previous posts on this thread? Talk about stirring the pot! Just waiting to see if someone starts "vilifying" the new owners in Canada, you're too much!
    THIS! And DMK too - really. Wasn't this thread supposed to be about new owner(s) of two stallions NOT RS? And almost "poetic" DMK - ?? That's funny
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com