The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to pick up beet pulp, alfalfa is perking him up quite a bit lol, not terribly bad but can't hurt to try the beet pulp. In just the last couple of days of introducing soaked alfalfa he's looking better, I do think we had some dehydration issues going on, going to be much more on top of that now. I will keep you all posted and I'm sure have more questions yet
    Team Ginger

2 members found this post helpful.

Just wanted to say thank you to all the recommendations! It's only been a week, but everyone at the barn even swears to see a difference! I think a big thing is I added electrolytes, and all the soaked alfalfa/beet pulp has gotten him hydrated again. He's drinking more, peeing more, and less tucked up looking.

He's getting at least 30lbs of hay a day, we've been slowly switching over to Ultium from Safechoice, by next week we'll be up to 6lbs of Ultium. Twice a day he's getting 3lbs soaked alfalfa pellets and 3lbs soaked beet pulp, 4oz Cool Calories, and 1 cup of oil. I give him a third feeding at night of 2lbs beet pulp 1lb alfalfa and about 1/2 of Ultium to convince him to eat the beet pulp.

According to FeedXL (warning, its very informational but super addicting!) he's getting a decent surplus of calories, but who knows how exact things are.

He's perkier but not hot, just his normal self but less cranky. I'll hopefully post back in several weeks with a progress pic
    Team Ginger

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. One thought: I have always had great luck with Super Gain, which is organic Selenium. You might want to find out if your soil is lacking in Selenium, or if the hay is. (Ours is, in CA). Also, just my opinion, but I would try hard to keep him at the weight in picture #3, unless he is an upper level jumper. His weight looks appropriate there

Wow, I have your horse's twin, down to the white sock. My OTTB is in good weight now, however he did drop weight and look like your skinny photo when he was foot sore. Do you have any lameness problems going on? Mine is doing well on the safechoice that you were feeding, but each horse is different.

Since you have a TSC store in your area, look to see if they are carrying the Standlee hay compressed bales. The stores in this part of the country have it. Get the alfalfa one, and put that in a hay net or slow feeder thing for him to nibble on when he is turned out.
    On the grains available to you, I agree that Triple Crown is a better feed than Purina, in general, but you definitely want to get him off of that Nutrena (junk food for horses, IMO). Someone receptly posted the NSC levels of Purina feeds, and that company has started paying attention to improving their feeds. I would be inclined to give this horse the Ultium Competition if your store carries it. If they do not, then try a half and half combination of Omolene 300 (the one for mares and foals, has higher protein plus whey in it) and Purina Senior.
    ETA, I had excellent results with the half and half combo I mentioned when I was rehabbing my mare, who came to me very thin, thinner than your boy.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

[QUOTE=FatDinah;6834980]You might try adding rice bran to his feed, very dense in fat. You can get that at TSC, I believe. My 35 yr old is eating Nutrena but we add about a cup of the rice bran (Envision) to her feedings.
    Is he blanketed, can you add a second liner or blanket? My gelding and his pasturemate both lost weight noticeably during a really cold 4-5 days. And they are both easy keepers.
    echo

this- i hate it when people clip there horses and dont do enough work to warrant the clip

the horse is a tb- rug him up with a polywarm under his out door rug rug also include neck covers and don't bother taking them off unless your going to ride him - as if out and it rains it will dry quicker on him than off him

up your hay ---2sections isn't enough during the day you need to give him ab lib ay to make his weight up as you have no grass and he sound liek a horse who is what i deem a grass eater meaning some horses doesnt matter what feed you give them it wont make there weight up but add grass and it does and so does good quality hay ab lib

plus if you are feeding him then dont do one huge meal a day you would be over facing him and it will do nothing-------small meals little and often with a horse thats underwieght as 3 or 4times a day

and worm him with a wormer that covers the cycles of the worms for the current season

Well since it sounds like you haven't read the previous posts or met me not sure why you'd hate me...but ok lol.

Anyhow, for the folks who gave me direct, yet genuine advice, update added to the original post
    Team Ginger

You're doing a great job Caroline and learning during the process that every horse is different. D is probably much different than Regae was even though they are both TB's. It took a year of playing around with Boy's feed to get him up to the weight I wanted him then as he ages I've had to approach things differently. He doesn't digest whole oats very well so cut them out of his diet and he stopped building topline like he used to so I've had to add TriAmino to his daily supplements. I also switched from a rotational deworming program to a strategic one because now I'm at a barn that will let me manage that the way I want. He's being dewormed much less, his last fecal count was 0 and he's fatter than he's been in 3 years (thanks to JB for helping me with that!). I can't wait to see new pictures of D nice and round and shiney!

Oh and FWIW.... Boy holds his weight better during winter if he's clipped and blanketed.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by NErider View Post
    Well since it sounds like you haven't read the previous posts or met me not sure why you'd hate me...but ok lol.

Anyhow, for the folks who gave me direct, yet genuine advice, update added to the original post
    Please don't be childish, she said she hates the practice of just clipping for the heck of it, without a warranted need, does not hate you. Silly.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy