The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just wanted to clarify, my mare eats several times a day and we add a 2-cup measure to EACH of them of the Envision rice bran so it is more than my original post inferred.
    I'd feed oil too but she is MISS PICKY.
    My good news is that we got a Triple Crown dealer nearby again and we are switching back to TC Senior. I do prefer Triple Crown.

I will have Purina Senior available to me soon, the new barn feeds it for $25 extra a month, but no limit. Cost wise, with oil and alfalfa pellets, would that be enough or should I stick to my plan of Ultium, or a mix there of??
    Team Ginger

If you can convince your barn to use Triple Crown Senior if it is available, everyone will be much happier.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Senior is only 5% fat... I'm afraid you'll be feeding him more of it, plus they don't have a list of ingredients on their site like they do the Ultium to compare. Will the barn give you a break in the board if you provide your own feed? Or you provide that now?

I know in my area Triple Crown is cheaper than Purina or do you have access to Pennfield? Their Fibregized is really nice too and a little cheaper than Triple Crown.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Did you see this thread?
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...eeding-an-OTTB

GoForAGallop feeds Poulin Fibremax mixed with beet pulp shreds and hay pellets. She says a month for her mare runs about $42 feeding her 3lbs a feeding. Thats cheap and I wish I had access to Poulin here or something similar!

Literally just got back from lunch, tracked down a co-op in a neighboring town and bought 5 bags of Ultium and some alfalfa pellets. Transitioning him over asap, I have about a bag of Safe Choice left so perfect time to go ahead and make a change.
    Team Ginger

We literally have only Dumor, Purina and Nutrena available within an hour of where I live, but that Poulin stuff sounds pretty amazing!
    Team Ginger

Compare the Ultium to the FibreMax and you may be able to do something similar only using the Ultium instead of the FibreMax.

I'm going to try it with the Fibregized and see how it goes with Boy.

here's the sheet for Ultium
    http://horse.purinamills.com/stellen...d2-0033339.pdf

Here's the FibreMax
    http://www.poulingrain.com/product_d...product_id=232

ok, that sounds intriguing, and cheaper. Instead of beet pulp I wonder if the alfalfa pellets would work? I'm not familiar with hay pellets??
    Team Ginger

I feed about 6 lbs of Ultium a day split into two 3 lb feeds. But yeah you can feed up to 12 lbs a day if needed since it is forage based (I think beet pulp based)

IME, keep the feeds small tho. Dont feed over about 4 lbs at a time or it seems to just not make much difference. Feeding 6 lbs twice a day vs feeding 4 lbs three times a day, you will get more bang for your buck feeding the three meals.

Ultium about 1800 calories a lb (last I checked. It tends to vary 100 calories up and down since its not fixed formula) if you want to do the math on his ration. Alfalfa is about 800 to 1K calories a lb. Dunno what your hay is but there are estimates per lb online if you google. Average not awesome grass hay is probably in the neighborhood of 600-700 calories a lb? T

That will give you a good idea of the kinds of calories he is eating and needs once you see weight gain, so if you change anything, you can keep the calories accounted for etc.

Last year our gelding was on safe choice. He was thin and could not put weight on. 4 scoops/ day, beet pulp oil..... Nothing worked. Moved barns, switched to strategy, 2 scoops no extras and voila. He looks fabulous. I am sure it was the safe choice feed.

Oh you could use alfalfa pellets for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by NErider View Post
    I weighed the hay last night, 3 flakes is 10lbs, so he's getting 25-30lbs of hay a day, when I'm out I give him 3-4 more flakes too. But, its not the best hay, and lots of sticks, etc.
    Sounds like you have a good plan. 25-30lbs of decent hay sounds like a lot, but not necessarily for a TB (my TB mare eats at least that in winter and will certainly never get fat from it). 25-30 lbs of long/stemmy hay probably ends up being more like 15-20 lbs of hay, so that's not very much. Since you probably can't get better hay at this time of year, I think the alfalfa pellets & Ultium will help a lot; oil will be great as well.

I'd still keep up with the extra hay also, if your barn will allow it. Remember that to add weight you really have to provide quite a lot more calories than you would normally feed.

Pretty boy - I have a very similar looking mare so I'm biased, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    In the picture( #3) you call "fat" he looks good and nowhere near fat. I think he is losing weight because the hay he is eating (currently ) probably has very little nutrition. Maybe it is just the lighting from the picture but it looks to be the same color as the dirt? He is also not wearing a blanket ,has a short coat and is clipped and is burning needed calories to stay warm. I would do my best to get some decent quality forage in front of him 24/7 if possible.
    I thought the same thing about the hay and was reading through this post wondering what KIND of hay is that and it was never mentioned.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

More grain, better hay (T&A if you can find it), rice bran, beet pulp, and cocasoya are my go-tos. If you use alfalfa pellets, just be mindful that some horses can go a little loco on it.

Also, keep him WELL blanketed whenever it's cold out... keeping warm burns calories and you want all those calories to be used making him slick and shiny again!

I don't think you're doing anything *wrong* per se, other than starting with a TB. (I say this owning one)
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I am a big fan of "cool calories" ... smartpack can provide them or you can get them on line. Like powdered crisco and smells good. Won't make them hot.

I agree before I jumped into many alfalfa based products I'd probably go with beet pulp. Can feed it in great amounts without worrying about them losing their mind. Also, I think in the second pic your horse looks healthy and athletic. Now if your horse is prone every winter to dropping weight I'd try to head into winter at closer to the weight of pic three.

Quote Originally Posted by NErider View Post
    I will have Purina Senior available to me soon, the new barn feeds it for $25 extra a month, but no limit. Cost wise, with oil and alfalfa pellets, would that be enough or should I stick to my plan of Ultium, or a mix there of??
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    The Senior is only 5% fat... I'm afraid you'll be feeding him more of it, plus they don't have a list of ingredients on their site like they do the Ultium to compare. Will the barn give you a break in the board if you provide your own feed? Or you provide that now?

I know in my area Triple Crown is cheaper than Purina or do you have access to Pennfield? Their Fibregized is really nice too and a little cheaper than Triple Crown.
    If Triple Crown is not an option, and Purina is easiest, I've really had excellent luck with Equine Senior Active Healthy Edge. It's got more fat than the regular Senior, and was considerably less expensive than the TC last time I purchased it--$16 vs $24 a bag.

Oddly, I've just not had the best luck with Ultium and weight gain.

Just tossing this out there:

My horse has always lost weight the more "grain" feed he gets. He gains weight when his grain feed is reduced (he gets SafeChoice).

We've recently begun to suspect him of having PSSM/EPSM, and his grain has been further reduced and oil added (he is up to two cups of oil now). He gets free choice hay.

In retrospect, I think he was losing weight the more grain he was getting because he wasn't able to process it properly.

Just something to think about. Especially if he is "hard muscled" and tight.