The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    NO! I most certainly do NOT think it was the owners fault...BUT, working in Insurance I see where these things turn;

They will say, did the owner check out credentials? Did the owner know horse was borderline dangerous? Was the horse fit for work? Did the owner have too high expectations...etc etc just turns into an ugly divorce battle.

For the record I do not think the owners equine liability Insurance (which I hope she has) should pay the expenses...but they might.

The owner of the facility is also at risk of being involved here....sadly this is why you need to COVER YOUR BUTT people.

One more day I am so freakin thankful I live in Ontario.
    I think all of these people would be less at risk if they weren't dealing with someone who has commented (before everything went on lock down) that she will pursue the insurance policies of people who are PLAINLY NOT LIABLE if it means being able to avoid taking the financial hit herself.

2 members found this post helpful.

yes, probably not good to put that out there if you are to be involved in potential law suits.

I do hope all those people have something to cover them.

It is certainly unethical to try and pin one's financial responsibilities on another party, I hope that is not the case. Part of making mistakes is stepping up and owning the consequences, as I'm sure we all know. It sucks being an adult, sigh.

I'm sorry that she felt the need to hide the page instead of taking the opportunity to discuss risk and results in a meaningful way that could be helpful to others. Although I could understand feeling defensive, especially with the help of medication and a stiff slap from COTH. You can always read the previous contents of any searchable page in Google's cache (works best in Chrome) and often in RSS readers.

I was happy to read that the mare will be sent back to owner and has several hopeful futures to choose from. I certainly don't wish ill on anyone who honestly tries to help horses. Hopefully, she will change her mind and choose to educate instead of flee when given the opportunity. Courtney King-Dye has been an amazing role model of how to turn misfortune and mistakes into awareness and education for others.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Can't help but feel that the new thread title would also be a very good title for the blog entry in question.

I feverently hope the mare in question has a soft landing.

4 members found this post helpful.

Okay, I think you all need to back off. I'm posting because Dom is my friend and I think someone needs to defend her a bit in all this. She has not asked me to post, and I should probably just let this all fade away ... but here's a counterpoint.

Firstly, it's her blog, she's allowed to write about what she wants, she's allowed to take it down at her discretion and considering that she has a bunch of strangers bitching about her and trawling through her archives, I really can't blame her. Why would you put yourself up for scrutiny like that? Courtney King-Dye is a public figure, Dom is a girl who is writing mostly for friends. There is no comparison there, that's just silly. Dom is a great writer, as you've picked up, if it's a bit melodramatic, so what? Horse accidents generally are.

The reason she didn't take it all down ... that is not 'very interesting psychologically', what rubbish, that is because she does actually have a large number of friends who care about her and want to keep updated. And even if Dom was a narcissistic psychopath, pathological liar with a God complex as she has been painted here ... why do any of you care?

The horse is going to be looked after. The owner of the horse does not blame Dom. Dom's clients are very happy with her services and if they weren't they could take their business elsewhere. Credit them with the intelligence to decide for themselves whether they are dealing with Dom the Devil Incarnate or a nice girl who has quite a lot of experience working with horses and is doing a good job producing ammie level, happy horses for people. I've never heard her say she's the next Carl Hester or George Morris, on the contrary I have seen her talk about how much more she has to learn and take lessons to improve her skills. She's never threatened to sue anyone, and as far as I've heard from her, accepts that it was a mistake, an accident, she feels terrible it happened and blames herself and nobody else.

As for meupatdoes, I can tell you there would be a lot more criticism of what she has said on here if people weren't scared of possible retribution. This woman has stalked strangers and threatened their jobs just for defending Dom. She has a very bizarre grudge that extends to anyone who tries to put up a different perspective, and she is not at all rational when it comes to Dom. It's really quite odd.

11 members found this post helpful.

If you don't want people trawling through your archives, don't put them on the internet. Especially if you're ostensibly doing it to advertise your services as a professional anything.

14 members found this post helpful.

I was waiting for "the friend" to jump in. Every good train wreck has it. Friend, not being harsh but hopefully this won't backfire on you on here. Maybe should have let it just die down. It would have probably in the next day. I hope she has a swift recovery, maybe I don't agree with what she did and I would have never but we all make mistakes. I don't know her from Adam but she does have a blog that is for public view and anyone can look. Maybe she shouldnt have a public blog at all if she doesn't want different opinions on things she's doing.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by madamlb View Post
    And even if Dom was a narcissistic psychopath, pathological liar with a God complex as she has been painted here ... why do any of you care?
    I actually don't care about any of that, but I do care about the horses that she is attempting to train. The one in the cross ties was absolutely nauseating.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown...erability.html

Well.... maybe not. We very quickly went from the 'information age' to the 'reality show' age. I mean, how many reality show/ competitions are there?

'Competitions' for chefs, models, clothing designers, drag queens, survivors, home decorators, preppers, and God knows what else.

Personal story/exposes of Gypsys, bad acting brides, housewives, polygamists, 'quiver full' families, Kardashians, Whitney Houstons surviving family, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Hardcore Pawn, Oddities and I'm am scared to realize how many others I could list (A fun OffTopic Day project for us all next time around!)

And sometimes, people's careers take off like a rocket after all this painful personal exposure. It is the age of 'being vulnerable' and that appeals to a LOT of people. The hard ass age of George Morris is over folks. "Touch me, feel me, see my pain. And then I'm gonna go bust my ass and roll that into some serious bank."
    That is a really good TED talk that was given by Brene Brown.

I recommend reading Brene Brown's book, "Daring Greatly" (or something like that) before advertising your professional and personal vulnerabilities with no filter.

She also advises against over-sharing. You don't want to share your vulnerabilities with everyone. Like everything, there is a point of "just right", which is often missed by "too much" (oversharing mistakes/vulnerabilities) or "not enough" (refusal to admit any wrongs) .

The blog appears to be closed to the public at this point.

Okay, I think you all need to back off. I'm posting because Dom is my friend and I think someone needs to defend her a bit in all this. She has not asked me to post, and I should probably just let this all fade away ... but here's a counterpoint.

Firstly, it's her blog, she's allowed to write about what she wants, she's allowed to take it down at her discretion and considering that she has a bunch of strangers bitching about her and trawling through her archives, I really can't blame her. Why would you put yourself up for scrutiny like that? Courtney King-Dye is a public figure, Dom is a girl who is writing mostly for friends. There is no comparison there, that's just silly. Dom is a great writer, as you've picked up, if it's a bit melodramatic, so what? Horse accidents generally are.

The reason she didn't take it all down ... that is not 'very interesting psychologically', what rubbish, that is because she does actually have a large number of friends who care about her and want to keep updated. And even if Dom was a narcissistic psychopath, pathological liar with a God complex as she has been painted here ... why do any of you care?

The horse is going to be looked after. The owner of the horse does not blame Dom. Dom's clients are very happy with her services and if they weren't they could take their business elsewhere. Credit them with the intelligence to decide for themselves whether they are dealing with Dom the Devil Incarnate or a nice girl who has quite a lot of experience working with horses and is doing a good job producing ammie level, happy horses for people. I've never heard her say she's the next Carl Hester or George Morris, on the contrary I have seen her talk about how much more she has to learn and take lessons to improve her skills. She's never threatened to sue anyone, and as far as I've heard from her, accepts that it was a mistake, an accident, she feels terrible it happened and blames herself and nobody else.

As for meupatdoes, I can tell you there would be a lot more criticism of what she has said on here if people weren't scared of possible retribution. This woman has stalked strangers and threatened their jobs just for defending Dom. She has a very bizarre grudge that extends to anyone who tries to put up a different perspective, and she is not at all rational when it comes to Dom. It's really quite odd.
    Ok, I'll bite: How do you know so much for certain about meupatdoes? Your location mentions Australia. I believe the people you are speaking of live in New Jersey.

Plus, needed this thing quoted!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

I'm waiting for the house guest before I break out the popcorn. To make this a perfect trainwreck though, we need the horse owner too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

9 members found this post helpful.

I've never heard her say she's the next Carl Hester or George Morris, on the contrary I have seen her talk about how much more she has to learn and take lessons to improve her skills.
    Mmm, no. But from what I read, she did her fair share of insinuating that other trainers she's worked with or around are wrong, bad, abusive etc etc. VERY bad for business, even if it were true.

I hope Dom takes this time while her blog is down to really think about what being a professional means. There is plenty about clients, their horses, their stories and their riding backgrounds that shouldn't be shared in a blog form like that. Even if the client ok's it. Waxing euphoric about how others have failed with clients/their horses and how you are doing such a wonderful job does the exact opposite of what she was shooting for.

The blog was public. She wanted people to read it. They did and formed their own opinions and are discussing it as is their right. I'm sorry she isn't able to handle anything other than praise on that level. I'm very sorry she was hurt. Truly. But I think it's time for some reflection on a lot of things.

You have got to be kidding me. Care to back that up with some examples? I for one, just don't believe that.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Oh and btw on the insurance thing.
    We do have help for hospital emergency in this country. It's funny how many people don't realize this. If you do not make over a certain amount a year then the hospitals have their own insurance and will greatly reduce the money owed or wipe it clean depending on the situation. We are not allowed to turn atone away from an emergency room for any reason. Yet, in a none emergency like a broken leg that needs surgery they will sometimes dr you up and send you to an ortho dr for the surgery. At that point you have to work that out with the dr but if they do the surgery at the hospital there ate some coverages already in place. I've always had insurance through work so I'm lucky. I do know a few people that do not or have not a onetime that had to get help through the hospital.
    That's not insurance. What it is in an "indigent waiver"...meaning, yes, the hospital is obligated to treat someone coming into the ER. If the hospital determines that the individual will not be able to pay the full bill, they may write it down, depending on what income and assets they think the person has. There is no "insurance" covering that. The hospital is eating the unpaid bills. To pay for it, they raise their billing rates on fully insured patients. The insurance companies then raise their premiums to cover the increased cost. THIS is one of the reasons why health care, and health insurance, is so expensive.

10 members found this post helpful.

It's that type of litigious crap that is going to destroy the horse industry. Mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I think all of these people would be less at risk if they weren't dealing with someone who has commented (before everything went on lock down) that she will pursue the insurance policies of people who are PLAINLY NOT LIABLE if it means being able to avoid taking the financial hit herself.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I think this was a little uncalled for. The horse owner is completely not in the wrong here.
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    To make this a perfect trainwreck though, we need the horse owner too.

Painted horizon, I don't think she meant anything about this owner, just a general thought that for the perfect train wreck the owner would have to come on here also. I maybe wrong but I don't think she meant this owner
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Painted horizon, I don't think she meant anything about this owner, just a general thought that for the perfect train wreck the owner would have to come on here also. I maybe wrong but I don't think she meant this owner
    This is pretty much a shout-out to the infamous Russian Roulette +++++++ thread a few years ago. No harm, no foul - just how we enjoy wrapping up a good train wreck. Boxed wine and baby quiche will come soon.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

3 members found this post helpful.

I sure hope not. Her owner is a wonderful woman that went out on a limb to save a horse. And then is trying to do the right thing for the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Mmm, no. But from what I read, she did her fair share of insinuating that other trainers she's worked with or around are wrong, bad, abusive etc etc. VERY bad for business, even if it were true.

I hope Dom takes this time while her blog is down to really think about what being a professional means. There is plenty about clients, their horses, their stories and their riding backgrounds that shouldn't be shared in a blog form like that. Even if the client ok's it. Waxing euphoric about how others have failed with clients/their horses and how you are doing such a wonderful job does the exact opposite of what she was shooting for.
    It is titled A Collection of Madcap Escapades. I think y'all have comprehension issues....

Did she actually say this on her blog?????

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Last edited by paintedhorizon; Feb. 14, 2013 at 08:27 PM.