The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

And on the topic of insurance - hospitals cannot refuse the kind of care she needed, insurance or not. IMHO she'll probably never be able to afford to pay for it. The only alternative will probably be bankruptcy.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

3 members found this post helpful.

I agree that a personal bankruptcy filing is an extremely likely outcome here.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    And on the topic of insurance - hospitals cannot refuse the kind of care she needed, insurance or not. IMHO she'll probably never be able to afford to pay for it. The only alternative will probably be bankruptcy.

Can the hospital go after the horse owner or property owner? I know when I've had accidents the insurance company always looks for any other party they can call "responsible" and recoup costs from. I have no idea if this is something the hospital can do, or only something that insurance companies can do because luckily I've always been insured.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

I don't believe so. I believe that only insurance companies have rights of subrogation.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I guess the difference in my mind is that the assistant trainer that was dealing with my horse wasn't showboating or taking video to show what a great rider she is (and she IS a great rider). She WAS focusing on my horse and thought she was making the best decision at the time. It just turned out not to be the best decision. That kind of thing happens to all of us.
    You nailed it.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    Perhaps instead of arguing if we should have private or national healthcare, we should be advocating some type of certification system for trainers. ANYONE can hang out a shingle in the USA. Is certification required in Canada?

Two different people have asked me why I don't give at least beginner lessons since I have a farm, and arena I have absolutely no desire to teach, nor should I. I'll freely admit I have no qualifications for it, but most people think nothing of jumping into it feet first.

I quit reading the blog at "I screamed Baby she broke my leg!" because I cannot stand over dramatization in writing. So I may have missed where she is actually wonderful, qualified, whatever.

Having owned two Peruvian Paso's they are a very sensitive horse. If you are used to working with QH's or Warmbloods, you could easily overface them. They do however send clear signals, so this trainer either discounted them, or missed them.

I hope the blogger recovers well, and applies the lessons learned in this instance to her future rides.
    I read the blog before it poofed and I thought the same thing about the writing. Not what I'd put up if I wanted to be taken seriously as a horse professional (not that the horse broke her leg but the dramatizing and "Baby"-ing to her BF/husband/whatever.

And skydy's right, when you're still really just a learner it is perhaps best not to set yourself up as a pro to deal with troubled animals, especially when you're misreading screaming signals about it to this point. The leg is hopefully nothing more than a wake-up call that will heal and give her time to think about what she takes on. And a reminder to all of us tempted by auction horses that sometimes they've got GIANT problems (and if the owner's story is true, maybe to think a little before letting anyone guilt us into taking on a 'rescue' if we're not 100% feeling right about it. If that part of the story is true, yes, the owner should have gone with their gut and passed but the rescue should also be ashamed of nagging someone into taking an animal out of guilt.)

3 members found this post helpful.

And also, I'm sorry, but on her training site, there is a horse named "Greg" that she apparently worked with on cross tieing behavior. There is video of him cross tied in a stall on what appears to be a bare, wet concrete floor. The horse is rearing and thrashing and is lucky he didn't lose his life. There are a lot of ways to address poor cross tie behavior, but this is probably the worst and most horrifying method I have ever seen.

At one point in the video, you can hear her say "what have we learned?" And then immediately he goes straight up and almost gets his front hooves over the top of the stall. It really is bad horsemanship.

I'm very sorry to be pointing things like this out about a person who just suffered a very bad accident, but I felt like I needed to mention it in case anyone here might think it would be a good idea to send a problem horse to this young woman. I'm sure she probably means well, but I can't believe no horses have been killed yet while she has been working with them.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I read the blog before it poofed and I thought the same thing about the writing.
    I can still see her blog on the home page...?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    I can still see her blog on the home page...?
    Me too.

Me too.

Dear lord, I need to stop read this blog. I am not one to bully or stir the pot, but for some reason, when animals are involved, I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

"Trainer in question," I'm sorry you are hurt; that really sucks. But you should feel lucky you are not in a comma or DOA and ever luckier that an accident of this magnitude hasn't happened sooner.

SAFETY around HORSES is absolutely the most important part of being a professional trainer, rider, BO, vet/farrier..whatever... and the common theme I keep reading in your posts (which is why I need to stop) is the lack thereof. From putting a client's horse out in a feild with a group of unknown horses because he seemed lonely to transporting a hot, scared, pawing horse six hours in an old POS trailer and truck with NO SEAT BELTS. I swear I just got three more grey hairs.

You are acting so irresponsible, young lady, that I can barley stand it. Please stop. Please.

Seriously.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    That's not true. All they have to do is stabilize her. She's lucky they found a surgeon right away. If they had splinted her and waited a week, she would have been shopping for a doctor to do it without insurance.

There was a similar situation in the news a while back, it was a teenager playing football. The kid was splinted and no one would do the surgery. He was going to be handicapped for life.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Just from reading her blog I can tell she has experience with "story telling". The way she writes/forms her sentences, etc. is like I'm reading something from an acquaintance who lies with every word.
    Not saying she's lying, but she is definitely exaggerating some things and making it all sound to be like she is the most important person to walk the earth. Yikes. Very inflated ego.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily&Jake View Post
    definitely exaggerating somethings
    You mean like the part where her man hunk bursts in to the xray room, even though the technicians try to restrain him, shouting, IF YOU WON'T COMFORT HER I WILL, and then holds her head and caresses her softly while the xrays are presumably being taken?

This apparently all happened without the need to exit the xray area to avoid radiation exposure or wear a little lead apron over our nads.

Amazing.

27 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    it's a publicly available blog, so here it is:

http://harnessphoto.blogspot.com/
    Not anymore...looks like you now must be invited to view it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Blog now invitation only. Pride goeth...but she already fell.

I was just reading it (~3:20pm EST). Then it poofed on me at 3:35pm EST:
    "Permission denied. This blog is open to invited readers only."

Very interesting, psychologically, that the author did not remove the blog and instead only restricted viewer access.

technically, she could sue the horse owner to re coup medical costs, although I hope it won't come to that.

@FineAlready.....although you may get that from the blog, I don't think Dom would ever intentionally try and make the horse act up to "showboat" her skills afterwards. If there were mistakes in her training...I would say they were just that and not intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    technically, she could sue the horse owner to re coup medical costs, although I hope it won't come to that.
    But I mean, if it does "come to that," I guess the only thing left to do is to pin $100,000 worth of her own damn fault on the person who paid her to, ideally, NOT completely eff up their horse, because SHE was the alleged professional and the owner was the amateur seeking pro help.

I mean, does anyone here honestly think it is the owner's fault AT ALL??? So let's just have that person pay for it then??! Completely screwing over somebody else who was not at fault is just what you have to do, I guess. What a wonderful thought!

Also known as the "I'll Just Find Someone Else To Pin It On" insurance policy.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    You mean like the part where her man hunk bursts in to the xray room, even though the technicians try to restrain him, shouting, IF YOU WON'T COMFORT HER I WILL, and then holds her head and caresses her softly while the xrays are presumably being taken?

This apparently all happened without the need to exit the xray area to avoid radiation exposure or wear a little lead apron over our nads.

Amazing.
    That and several other parts of it!!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    But I mean, if it does "come to that," I guess the only thing left to do is to pin $100,000 worth of her own damn fault on the person who paid her to, ideally, NOT completely eff up their horse, because SHE was the alleged professional and the owner was the amateur seeking pro help.

I mean, does anyone here honestly think it is the owner's fault AT ALL??? So let's just have that person pay for it then??! Completely screwing over somebody else who was not at fault is just what you have to do, I guess. What a wonderful thought!

Also known as the "I'll Just Find Someone Else To Pin It On" insurance policy.
    NO! I most certainly do NOT think it was the owners fault...BUT, working in Insurance I see where these things turn;

They will say, did the owner check out credentials? Did the owner know horse was borderline dangerous? Was the horse fit for work? Did the owner have too high expectations...etc etc just turns into an ugly divorce battle.

For the record I do not think the owners equine liability Insurance (which I hope she has) should pay the expenses...but they might.

The owner of the facility is also at risk of being involved here....sadly this is why you need to COVER YOUR BUTT people.

One more day I am so freakin thankful I live in Ontario.