The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

The rearing is a symptom. And rearing in and of itself need not be a dealbreaker. But this horse is beyond this trainers skills. There are a number of very reputable Paso Fino trainers around the New Jersey area. Heck one of the past trainers of the year is in Massachusetts. This particular horse needs a trainer of that caliber who can evaluate her underlying issues and determine if she is salvageable.

4 members found this post helpful.

So I take it meup will not be hitting the donate button that will likely appear? ;-P

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    So I take it meup will not be hitting the donate button that will likely appear? ;-P
    I will be throwing up a little in my mouth when it INEVITABLY does.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Well, FA, you're one and you know your horse and it's quirks. I personally make a distinction between "getting light in front" and "rearing", not to mention "flipping". I don't condemn automatically, but if they go up so much they flip . . .
    I hear you. I think there are a lot of different kinds of rearing. My horse's variety was absolutely much more than "light in front" and more of the "standing up" persuasion when he was younger. Now it is usually more of a leaping forward kind of thing - almost like he is jumping over something - much better.

In the video, I actually didn't think this little mare looked like her rearing was of an especially dangerous sort. But, two things: (1) you could not pay me enough to get on a rearer of any kind in a Western saddle - it would be better to ride bareback than in a Western saddle; and (2) it looks to me like she was pulling back during the rears in the video (hands in lap despite leaning forward). Once they are up like that, you HAVE to give them their heads. You can spin them like a top and boot forward once their feet hit the ground again, but once those front feet leave the ground, give them their heads so you don't both die!

Anyway, I do think this is very sad and I feel for the poor girl. The whole thing was a costly mistake.

5 members found this post helpful.

Her rears on the video didn't look that bad to me either. I had one who would pop a bit if she felt I was holding her back too much. She loved to fly.
    She also had a less than stellar start and loved to try to dump me at first.
    She would walk quietly on a loose rein and go anywhere for my dad who had never had a riding lesson in his life.
    You are what you dare.

Am I the only one who was thinking "treat her for ulcers" over and over again while reading about the mare and her nervous, fear responses?

11 members found this post helpful.

Meup, she didn't leave you a note written in crayon by any chance, did she?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I think a lot of trainers ASSUME they cannot afford it because they've never looked into it. Since I've been self-employed for over 30 years, I've always had to source my own. It is certainly possible! Everyone I know in the horse biz is with Blue Cross/Blue Shield with a high deductible (mine's $5K) BUT 100% accident coverage. In practical terms, after you've hit the ground you self-assess and if you think you're going to need the wreck "seen," DO IT NOW and you'll be covered--wait 2 weeks and it's on you! But honest, it's not at all expensive for an individual, if you can EAT you can afford to have it. Seriously, I wouldn't start up my truck let alone get on a horse without it!
    I pay $99/month with a $5k deductible on Blue Cross because I haven't had an employer-provided plan for like four years. In some ways it's easier because I don't have to worry about scrambling to find something when I change jobs, and I get more take-home ("employer paid" just means that much less in your paycheck.) I'm not generally likely to get zapped by a horse (I don't ride much or had) but if I bomb out in the rink or (like just happened) I have allergies serious enough for an ER trip, I get some money off, and if I wind up in the hospital I'll burn through the deductible in no time anyway.

That blog stated:

"When Willow came through the auction, TD went out to see her. Later that day she commented on her auction photo, saying, "She is still available. I went to see her today. She isn't a good fit for me I am sad to say. I feel terrible. She was understandably nervous. No papers. She is taller than 13.3 and very long. Maybe 14H. Super kind eye. I already have one project and can't handle 2 right now. Shoes in front. I hope this helps someone decide. She is more beautiful in person."

TD did not want Willow, but the auction rescue people pushed and guilted and told her how 'you can't leave a Paso in the kill pen!' Eventually, TD caved, against her better judgement, and bought the horse."

Okay, so I went and looked up the Camelot auction listing for this mare from last July. From the comments, the Paso rescue (PFUR) stated the horse was going directly from Camelot to "a rescue in Maine". I also saw some discrepancies between what the blog stated and the actual comments on the auction pic.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

And, yeah, as someone else mentioned, that mare wasn't anywhere NEAR ready for a rider considering all the issues that were so obvious, and then, certainly not in a huge indoor, made worse by indoor arena acoustics that might frighten a horse not used to them. I also think that trainer needs to learn how to praise in a quieter manner when dealing with a fractious or otherwise nervous horse.

Tons more groundwork and time, then starting SLOWLY under saddle in a smaller, enclosed area, preferably outside in sight of some calm, quiet horses.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

When I was a teenager I frequently was the first one up on horses incoming from the auction. We never, EVER used a Western saddle, and I was never, EVER allowed to take my irons until we were good 'n shootin' sure that horse wasn't going to go up or flip.

AND, I was always told, "Stay awake and be ready to step off!"

Rules to live by . . . but READING THE ENERGY comes first.

The time you're least likely to do that? When you want to show off. I feel sorry for her, in more ways than one. And the horse!

6 members found this post helpful.

I am glad I was able to read the blog. I agree, extremely bad judgment on the part of this (blog says 25 yrs old) youngster, and of course her injury was exacerbated in the hospital by some idiot grabbing her by the broken leg to 'help' get her on a gurney. I hope she sues the hospital for that unnecessary iatrogenic complication.

Am I the only one who noticed how far under her body Willow has her hind legs. Pasos are notoriously prone to DSLD or whatever the name du jour is of that disorder. One of the symptoms is hind legs camped way under because of the suspensory issues. Any trainer who actually knows what they are doing would first have had a Vet do a thorough workup, not rush into riding. Any horse that is severely girthy (agreeing with other poster) definitely should be checked for ulcers and any horse so extremely nervous should be presumed to need some supplemental magnesium too. This is a very sad story, all the more so because skill and common sense, had they been in use, would have prevented the injury to the rider.
    Sigh...
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Was this trainer discussed a while back here? Had a whole NH-like thing going on, but with some other special connection to the horse-- it chose her or one/both of them started out with physical problems?

Note to self: Don't blog about anything negative in your professional life.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow. That blog was...interesting reading.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Wow. That blog was...interesting reading.
    I just read this topic, read the two blog posts pertaining to the blogger's accident, spent a couple of minutes reading some past posts, refreshed to the home page and... Wow, the top two blog posts were gone. Just like that!

Someone is reading COTH...

I'm actually surprised her arm isn't in a sling from patting herself on the back so much.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mac Donald View Post
    I just read this topic, read the two blog posts pertaining to the blogger's accident, spent a couple of minutes reading some past posts, refreshed to the home page and... Wow, the top two blog posts were gone. Just like that!

Someone is reading COTH...
    If you check it now, there is a note mentioning COTH at the top of the blog.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Well, I'm going to post here as someone who has been following the blogger in question for the past six years or so. This also means that for the past six years or so I have been following meupatdoes, because wherever Dom is, meupatdoes inevitably turns up to say something nasty.

Dom is recovering from a serious injury, and is going through a seriously traumatic time. Yes she is tough, but she is also a kind person and I think has a much softer heart than you might realise from just skimming her blog. She did not post anything here, something was posted about her. She has not asked any of you for money, she has not asked for your contribution and yet here is a perfect character assassination of a young horse professional with a fledgling business ... and based on what? The fact that meupatdoes hates her? The fact that she couldn't afford insurance?

She should be resting and recovering not worrying about this rubbish. But as ever, meupatdoes can not refrain from sticking the boot in and tearing her apart all over the internet for everyone to see.

Just take a step back and imagine how you would feel if after an accident- an ACCIDENT, happens to us all- you came onto the internet and found strangers ripping you apart like this. So her personal BLOG is too 'mememe'? So she is reading a thread where she is being picked apart by strangers? What on earth is so terrible about that?

I think the main thing to take from all of this is that it is an indictment of your appalling health system in the States, saying that as someone who has been through my own accident where I received excellent medical care and didn't pay a cent. People should risk losing everything they have all because they get hurt or get sick. That's absolutely barbaric.

As far as meupatdoes' posts, well you have only gotten one side of the story, and having read some of the things she has written to and about Dom over the years I would say she is not a particularly balanced person. I don't personally know her, but she really does seem to have some problems. I would take what she says with a grain of salt.

As you were

20 members found this post helpful.

Frankly, it's none of our business whether someone has medical insurance or not. I mean, I'm from Canada and I LOVE my universal healthcare, but.. If you're in America, it's a free personal choice, and apparently a very costly one at that. I'm not sure why a trainer is being judged for it. It's not affecting you at all, only the uninsured person.

Also, I may add that I have witnessed YOU, meupatdoes, consistently harass this young trainer for YEARS. Your vendetta against the blogger/trainer is bordering on stalking and worrisome. Meupatdoes, methinks you doth protest too much. It seems like you're creepy jealous or something, stop it, it's weird.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Actually if anyone had listened to my sniping in years past, and perhaps taken note of the veritable avalanche of warning signs, this entirely preventable situation would have been entirely prevented, and there wouldn't be SEVERAL PEOPLE ALREADY declaring the horse better off dead on this thread alone.
    Would love to see you take on this horse.

7 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=madamlb;6835421]
    I think the main thing to take from all of this is that it is an indictment of your appalling health system in the States, saying that as someone who has been through my own accident where I received excellent medical care and didn't pay a cent. People should risk losing everything they have all because they get hurt or get sick. That's absolutely barbaric./QUOTE]

I agree. I recently had three trips to ED, two nights in hospital, countless medical tests including a complete vision and eye health test and an MRI for possible brain trauma... And all it cost me was a few bucks for some Panadol. Reading about the US health systems leaves me feeling cold. Urgh.