The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Correct. But why the heck are we having a lesson on geography ?

3 members found this post helpful.

Beats me *shrug*

But Geography was my favorite subject at school, so I don't mind

1 members found this post helpful.

I missed the big kerfluffle, but PDQ, I loved your CliffNotes version. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    Correct. But why the heck are we having a lesson on geography ?
    Because were having a train wreck..

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lulu27 View Post
    Yes, NORTHERN IRELAND is in the UK.

IRELAND is not.
    Ah yes, thus all the fighting. GBP versus EUR, or is it just a religious thing? I do love their horses though

Dom, AZG ..they are NOT from Ireland, but from the continent. And now, as some point out, unfortunately reside on this continent.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

UGH.

I actually like Dom, I consider her a friend of my blogging circle...I did NOT see the cross tie video.

BUT let me just say, from MY OWN mistakes, that you should NEVER use cross ties to teach a horse to get over being herd bound, Cement floors, or rubber mats, it is NOT a good idea.

I wrote a blog post about my awful mistake, which almost cost my horse his life. http://fillysbestfriend.blogspot.ca/...ning-life.html

Break away ties don't teach your horse anything either, other then to pull back will let them get away. This conversation is bringing back bad memories!

Oh jealoushe, that would be terrifying! I've seen a horse flip in crossties and there is never an easy way for them to go down. Even though it was 20 years ago, I still keep a close eye on them out of sheer paranoia.

Anyone who's seen a crosstie accident never forgets it and certainly treats them gingerly from then on, regardless. Mine was a well trained horse and a poorly placed rubbermaid closet unit in the aisle set up by a boarder. Horse backed up two steps half asleep, cross tie hooked the top of the unit which startled horse and she went back hard. Rubbermaid unit came apart and horse came unglued, sat down on her hocks, cross ties popped and all the way over she went, off the mats and onto the cement. When that can happen to a laid back very cross tie broke horse, "fixing" problems in ties when you don't know what you are doing or what your worse case scenario could be is just...scary.

That video was just begging for something even worse. *shudder*
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I never cross tie my horses due to a horrific cross tie accident (caused by barn cats startling my half asleep horse that was a VERY quiet horse that tied well.) Just could never cross tie again after that. I would certainly not even think about using cross ties as part of training a "problem" horse.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

I don't use them anymore either....my friend will say, "just throw him on the ties for second he will be fine!".

Ahh no. Me and him both don't want to go down that road EVER again.

We use bailing twine so they just snap if a horse pulls on them at all.
    You are what you dare.

I stopped using cross ties because I found tacking upon in the stall to be a much more pleasant and simpler way to groom and tack - plus, you don't feel rushed to quickly remove the poop on the concrete (or hear from the neurotic BO to "be sure to clorox that spot before you ride!").

Now, back to geography: Ireland IS part of Europe, correct? Or are they (well, in part) their own separate place and no longer wish to be included under the term "European"? I know the map has changed many times since I owned a globe (yes, I actually had one, and no, I do not have great-grandchildren!), but I just need to know what the latest scholars are saying.

I bet if I have a drink with some valium, this will all make much more sense.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

I can't speak for Ireland or for what the latest opinions of scholars are, regarding Ireland's status as "European" or not.
    There are a few COTH folks from Ireland, perhaps they will enlighten us as to whether they consider themselve to be from "Europe".

I can say , without a doubt ,that my British grandmother would have been appalled at being considered "European" (after all Europe IS a continent and Britain is not part of it), then again, she thought that the U.S., west of New England, was uncivilized (and not from any lack of exposure on her part, to the U.S.).

New Zealand was a favorite vacation spot for her, I believe more for the diverse flora and fauna and for the people ,than for the fact of it being a "colony" in her estimate (though, knowing her, I'm sure that fact did come into play somewhat). She just found more in common with New Zealand than she did with the U.S.

She did have that British superiority belief ,just as did the Britains who colonized the world, having no doubt ,whatsoever, that they were the most civilized society, and that everyone on the planet was better off for their influence. and

Come on Irish COTHers set us straight! Are you (and your lovely Irish horses) "European"?

Tom?
    Last edited by skydy; Feb. 17, 2013 at 05:38 AM.

Morningside Stud, Ogonnelloe, Co. Clare, Ireland

Yes. Ireland is part of the European Union and most Irish people consider themselves to be European.

Just because we are on an island off the continental European landmass does not mean Ireland is not part of Europe. Block Island, Long Island, the islands that are part of MA and WA are all "American" or North American, etc.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Yes. Ireland is part of the European Union and most Irish people consider themselves to be European.

Just because we are on an island off the continental European landmass does not mean Ireland is not part of Europe. Block Island, Long Island, the islands that are part of MA and WA are all "American" or North American, etc.
    Thanks Tom!
    Hawaii is a state in the U.S. However it lies out in the pacific much further than Long Island is from the North American continent, and than Ireland is from the continent of Europe.

So, I have bogged myself down in geography and failed to consider the current political method.

Since my dear Grandmummy is gone, I will try to consider the U.K. and Ireland as "Europe". and perhaps understand that many Irish people would rather be considered "European" than "U.K".

That is why I asked, Tom, and I appreciate your answer.
    I suppose now it is a political rather than a geographical distinction.

Cuba is rather close to the North American land mass as well, however not many would consider it part of North or South America,(it is an island )and the distinction is made, probably, because of the hostile political situation..

So, what do think of the FEI approving clones in competition?

What IS your solution, Tom, to hysterical 10yr old children on ponies?
    Don't hold back..
    Last edited by skydy; Feb. 17, 2013 at 08:02 AM.

On the topic of cross tying an antsy horse, why would the thought of doing that even enter into someones head? I have my own barn, and the only time I put a horse on the cross ties is when there is at least one other horse in the barn. And even at that, 99.9 percent of the time, I tack up in a stall. Yes, it's a pain to open the door a bunch of times to get grooming supplies, tack etc, but it sure feels safer than using the ties, even on a dead quiet horse. I really don't get the appeal of cross ties, but obviously just my personal taste. Even when the farrier comes, I hold my horses, never tie them, and most of my herd are very very quiet and all of them have excellent ground manners. I think we need a spinoff on cross tying!

I recall one time when I had my Paint mare on the ties, which at that time were those bungie cord type(BAD mistake, those bungies). Rumour pulled, they gave, she pulled some more and one bungie snapped and came back at us so flippin' fast, someone could have easily lost an eye had the cord hit that area. Yes, they were secured with baling twine, but the bungie snapped before the twine did. And Rumour is one of my dead quiet mares, too, yet this still happened. I promptly pitched those ties into the garbage after that scary episode.
    What person in their right mind invites trouble by doing things like this Dom chick did? No common sense, that one.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

3 members found this post helpful.

Continents.

By most common (Western) convention, there are seven of them.

Europe is one of them.

Ireland is in Europe.

Politics don't even enter into it.

What the fruitbat is being taught in grade school these days?

9 members found this post helpful.

The geography in this thread is making my head hurt.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    it's a publicly available blog, so here it is:

http://harnessphoto.blogspot.com/
    Not public now. I'm getting a message that I need to be invited to view the blog.

Can anyone help?
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Halt Near X View Post
    Continents.

By most common (Western) convention, there are seven of them.

Europe is one of them.

Ireland is in Europe.

Politics don't even enter into it.

What the fruitbat is being taught in grade school these days?
    Thank GOD! I was beginning to think I would have to home-school my son!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields