The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    But maybe there's a pro out there willing to take her on? I just checked out that group and it is a closed group so I cannot see what goes on there. Would like to join . . . .
    PM me your FB handle and I'll add you. There are some NICE Pasos that go through that group, some are just older and some are being offered by people who have to cut back, and some are unbroke but also unspoiled. FWIW, the PFUR group recently decided they will no longer provide support for horses posted by either Camelot or New Holland (Ac4H) largely because of bad behavior on the part of the so-called rescue groups up there. Like the pressuring of the woman who got Willow.

it's a publicly available blog, so here it is:

http://harnessphoto.blogspot.com/

9 members found this post helpful.

I, personally, couldn't get through her blog post - too much "me-me-me, I'm so smart, I'm so tough, the nurses are amazed" (that's when I stopped reading).

Honestly, she really seemed to bring this on herself. Scared horses make scary choices. If you can SEE them shaking, you probably shouldn't get on.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
    This horse came from the PFUR FB page in July/August and there is a thread out there already from this Sunday (I think) indicating that they know about the trainer injury. I think it would be very, very unwise to repost this mare there. The first go round there were a lot of people that were taken with her looks (that's how this owner picked her up). IM(strong)O this mare absolutely should not go to a well-meaning amateur.
    I found the posts and the pics of the owner riding the mare in a rope halter (and saddled). The mare appears pretty calm. They are from before being sent to this trainer.
    You are what you dare.

"The average person is not going to have a Snowman story about their horse pulled from the Auction."

Harry isn't 'average' - and The Black Stallion and all those others that got our little hearts beating were FICTION.

"So it's not always the "troubled" ones that end up hurting you. If anything, I think we are all more careful around horses that we know we can't trust 100%.

Riding is a risk, period. Stuff happens."

Yes, I listened to Courtney's recent video over the weekend. She has repeated so many times, "The horse did nothing wrong. He wasn't being naughty." This time, she commented that the same thing could happen to someone taking a lesson on a trusted schoolmaster.

My last concussion was a stupid, me-very-out-of-shape roll-off over the shoulder when a reliable horse tripped at a trot. With an approved helmet.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

She has stalked me and left me "presents" on my tack trunk outside my horse's stall. She harrassed my trainer at the time with email messages about God knows what.

I've got no dog in this fight and I do not know either party. I don't know the history.

But dang - that sort of crap is just freakin' scary. Folks, if you've got a problem with someone on the internet, that's ok. But stalking and leaving "presents" is just real life crazee. Unacceptable. Always.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    I found the posts and the pics of the owner riding the mare in a rope halter (and saddled). The mare appears pretty calm. They are from before being sent to this trainer.
    Yes, but to be fair also note the dates -- I suspect this mare may have been drugged by the auction/rescue people. She was rideable immediately after pickup and started snapping at the owner about.... oh, five days after that.

2 members found this post helpful.

But what kind of presents? A box of horse treats? A new bridle? Or, a decapitated bird such as a cat would leave?

But, yeah... that's super creepy.
    You are what you dare.

4 members found this post helpful.

Just because meup and this trainer (clearly) have personal issues between them, I don't think this thread should turn into character assassination (based one one side's opinion of the other side).

A person who regularly works with "problem horses" tried to ride a rearer and got hurt. End of story.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Unfortunately, lots and lots of people in this country cannot afford health insurance. Those of it who have it as a benefit from our employers can count ourselves lucky.
    I think a lot of trainers ASSUME they cannot afford it because they've never looked into it. Since I've been self-employed for over 30 years, I've always had to source my own. It is certainly possible! Everyone I know in the horse biz is with Blue Cross/Blue Shield with a high deductible (mine's $5K) BUT 100% accident coverage. In practical terms, after you've hit the ground you self-assess and if you think you're going to need the wreck "seen," DO IT NOW and you'll be covered--wait 2 weeks and it's on you! But honest, it's not at all expensive for an individual, if you can EAT you can afford to have it. Seriously, I wouldn't start up my truck let alone get on a horse without it!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
    Yes, but to be fair also note the dates -- I suspect this mare may have been drugged by the auction/rescue people. She was rideable immediately after pickup and started snapping at the owner about.... oh, five days after that.
    Ah, gotcha. I have not been following the page as much since I've got too many of my own issues right now. I was not familiar with this mare and since all the comments run together, I just noticed the photos and the comment about sending her to a trainer with Paso experience. Went back and looked at the dates. I agree. Most likely drugged.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Folks, if you've got a problem with someone on the internet, that's ok. But stalking and leaving "presents" is just real life crazee. Unacceptable. Always.
    Dunno.... I've had a few in the past (and present) whom I just could. not. stand. YET.... they still persist in giving me Xmas gifts, Valentine's day gifts (these are older married ladies we are talkin' about....) cookies, etc. They will also persist in asking my advice & asking to borrow things.

Some folks love abuse. And some folks are just so desperate they will persist with anyone who is not aiming a loaded gun at them. There is a certain type. And they usually find a few folks willing to dance.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't automatically say that this horse is unfixable. Beyond that woman's ability sure. Whether its worth fixing, well that's a cost/ benefit analysis that is not my problem.

The blog writer badly misread that horse. That horse was giving her plenty of warnings. But, as someone else mentioned, sometimes one has to learn things the hard way.

7 members found this post helpful.

I really respect Meupatdoes...and I agree with her entire post.

Just a heads up to those who let outside trainers work on your property...make sure they have health insurance and liability insurance...and ask to be a named insured.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

11 members found this post helpful.

That creeps me out even more.

Sounds like the person was not just giving meupatdoes unwanted attention. That sounds more sinister. No one should have to tolerate that sort of thing. It's just creepy.

I don't know if that horse is fixable or not - I'm not an expert in such things and it's one video and blog entry so I'm not sure I can have an informed opinion.

But I will say that if I was presented with a horse that was so terrified it was shaking - the LAST thing I'd do is put a saddle on it. That's just horsemanship 101. And common sense. And a very basic concern for the welfare of the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Dunno.... I've had a few in the past (and present) whom I just could. not. stand. YET.... they still persist in giving me Xmas gifts, Valentine's day gifts (these are older married ladies we are talkin' about....) cookies, etc. They will also persist in asking my advice & asking to borrow things.

Some folks love abuse. And some folks are just so desperate they will persist with anyone who is not aiming a loaded gun at them. There is a certain type. And they usually find a few folks willing to dance.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

4 members found this post helpful.

I'll repeat that any time we talk about a rearer on this board - well it's the ultimate deal breaker for a LOT of people. And for good reason.

And the vid I saw that showed the horse rearing, well, that was not just getting light in front. Did this trainer that Meup has a problem with mess things up and make the horse rear? I can't say, I thought it was a known issue that the ammy owner with a bad back found to be the one last straw. The consensus has always been not to trust a rearer.

I was advocating the pasture in the sky all right, but not so much due to the trainer as the rearing, which I'll repeat for the last time, we've discussed at length before in many other threads and generally gets a big, permanent, thumbs down.

I am interested in the time line, that's the one thing I'll pick to judge. Ground work for a week or more, saddling the same, weight bearing, then riding. We've talked about it in another thread, the "no brakes" in Dressage and had a couple of posters line out the progress of events, starting over. Takes a month if not longer.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Well, I will chime in in defense of "rearers." I do think that at least some of them can be fixed. My horse is a sometimes-rearer. He was a terrible rearer at age four. He's much better now at age 7, almost eight. Rears under saddle less than 5 times per year - all of those in the winter under pretty specific and pretty predictable circumstances.

It took me a long time to figure out the triggers and how to deal with him (and, yes, I have always had professional help with him), but I do feel totally safe with him because I can read him very well.

On his good days, I would consider him beginner safe. On his bad days...well, let's just say NOT beginner safe! That said, I would never let a beginner on him, even on a good day.

BUT, he's with me, I'm glad to have him, and I'm competent to handle and ride him. He's not the right horse for MOST people, but he is absolutely the right horse FOR ME. It would have been too bad if he had been put down because of his rearing.

3 members found this post helpful.

well, I read the the blog. If she is any older than 21, then she is extremely immature.

Working with a horse like that is serious business, and the way she described it, I got the feeling that she had no idea just how over her head she was. Kind of like, "la,la,la....this pooniee is so prettieee and so sad and scared I'm sure she just needs some kisses and TLC and she'll be allllll better. Yay! "

And that is scary. And that is why she got her leg snapped in two.

I know a few "trainers" like her. Sadly, there are too many of them out there without health insurance or a clue. They rode the "advanced" horses at summer camp, watched The Horse Whisperer too many times, and then decided to start a side business training "problem" horses on the weekends.

Ay! Por que? No mas, por favor!!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

14 members found this post helpful.

Well, FA, you're one and you know your horse and it's quirks. I personally make a distinction between "getting light in front" and "rearing", not to mention "flipping". I don't condemn automatically, but if they go up so much they flip . . .
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

What is that saying? When a person shows you who they are, believe them? How I feel about horses now, learned my lesson the hard way. I do 110% agree with her comments about auction horses, too many people just assume they are there through no fault of their own. Always a reason they weren't sold privately, from owner situation to a total lunatic. I am not saying this mare is a bad horse or malicious, but classic example of this.

Definitely agree that this horse was screaming for that trainer to listen to her, that she was way too scared to do that. Unfortunately she didn't listen and didn't get lucky either. I hope she makes a full recovery and learns from this.

Meup... dieing to know what the presents were! PLEASE.

6 members found this post helpful.