The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do your pre-schoolers wear on their feet around the barn?

My daughter loves coming to the barn with me. I'm thinking it's time I got her shoes to wear and I'm wondering what has worked for others. She wears an 11 toddler shoe. I'm thinking maybe cowboy boots.

My daughter's first pair of paddock boots were size 8 or 9, I think. So from about age 3 on she's always had a pair of paddock boots. I sprung for nicer ones this time around (~$70, IIRC), in the hopes that they'll fit for a while (she just turned 5), but I don't see any differences between these and the cheaper ones I had for her before.

1 members found this post helpful.

If I recall correctly, I wore Blundstones for most of my kid years around the barn.

might want to look at the thrift stores, at least around here the rich people buy their children very nice/expensive foot wear, usually to show off at the Ft Worth stock show.... then afterwards the boots set around ending up being donating to a charity

used paddock boots, and then as she aged new paddock boots from Dover priced under $40. I prefer used though. They just seem to go through shoes so quickly that they are never worn out.

Cowboy boots. Our son loves them and he could put them on by himself when he was only two.

Thanks! I'm leaning towards cowboy boots as we live in Colorado and I think she would like them- and I like the idea of her being able to pull them on and off by herself.

1 members found this post helpful.

My mini me has cowgirl boots for everyday. She has the paddocks etc but for daily use and chores- cowgirl boots! $15 at Payless.!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

lots of the little ones here at our farm wear pink cowgirl boots...they love them.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    My daughter's first pair of paddock boots were size 8 or 9, I think. So from about age 3 on she's always had a pair of paddock boots. I sprung for nicer ones this time around (~$70, IIRC), in the hopes that they'll fit for a while (she just turned 5), but I don't see any differences between these and the cheaper ones I had for her before.
    I always got paddock boots for DD. The first pair were Off Course...she wore them all the time; bout wore the heels off. She grew so quickly there after that the other pairs were recycled through my 3 nieces and since they didn't wear them that much, I was able to sell them like hot cakes at consignment shops. They held their value really well and we polished them every so often. And teensie paddock boots are so dang cute!! We still have the first pair...mean more to me nostalgically [sic] speaking than her first pair of shoes.