The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HELP NEEDED IN FINDING LOW-SALT CAT FOOD

My precious house cat has been diagnosed with heart disease and high blood pressure. He's on lasix, plavix and three other meds. and doing quite well considering he is dying of heart failure. His cardiologist said that I should research low salt cat foods to feed him to help with the high blood pressure. He will eat dry or canned, just not the prescription cat food the hospital gave him. Any suggestions?

(When I read what i just wrote, I think I sound like a crazy cat lady. Really, I'm not...I just love this one cat and want his end to be peaceful when the time comes and on a full tummy.)

Here's a list that shows the sodium percentage in quite a few dry cat foods. http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/dry.htm And, here's wet foods http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canned.htm
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Oh Louise, thank you so much. I will print out the lists and take them to the pet food store and find some safer food for my cat to eat. You are really helping me and my cat.

I knew a CoTHer would be able to help!

Can you make his food for him?

Good question. I thought about cooking him some plain chicken but based on past experience with him, he won't eat anything that's not in a bag or can with a kitty on the label. (Although he will gobble up people canned tuna) He's never been one to like people food but maybe I should look for some homemade cat food recipes online.

What brand of Rx food did the vet hospital give you?

My cat was a large specialty hospital for about 4 days before he came home and they were trying to get him to eat their RX food to no avail. He would only eat regular canned cat food they had and his purina one that i took in for him. This cat has been there so much for a multitude of health issues that i'm on a first name basis with the receptionist, his internist, his surgeon and now his cardiologist. All the nurses love him and he is a model patient, due to his many trips there to practice good behavior. Each visit ends up costing me several thousand dollars, but this last one was the heart breaker to find out he is truly dying this time and money won't fix him. So I went out today and bought him several of the varieties on the lists Louise posted and he enjoyed Nueman's Own canned food tonight. I just am glad to feed him something that isn't contributing to the hypertension