The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Serenity Horse Rescue - Dayton OH area - UPDATE to UPDATE

Apparently the woman who runs this rescue has a long history of scamming, hoarding, and starving. She moved up to our area and things appear to be a mess:

http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/loca...animals/nWMc4/

See the Facebook page "Hopeless Horses" for more information. WARNING: Graphic and unpleasant pictures.

Current course of action seems to be to pressure Miami Co. authorities to take some action.

Will keep you posted.

Horses and other animals removed today! At last, the efforts of numerous folks from several counties have resulted in a chance for the animals.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crim...-rescue/nWYSH/

ETA 2/26/13

The Ohio SPCA is taking care of these animals. If you are so inclined, please donate to help them:

www.ohiospca.org
    Last edited by oldernewbie; Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: More info and plea for help!

The more mishandling, mismanaging and abusing horses in rescues comes out, soon rescues will get the same bad image slaughter has.

People that don't know any better can only remember the terrible stories and assume that is all that happens, be it in rescues, slaughter, racing, wp training, eventing, etc.

I know first hand where slaughter is one more way to euthanize unwanted horses and as a bonus it provides us with one more use of those horses.
    I know many, many good race horse trainers that would not do but what is best for the horses they run.
    I know horse rescues that are wonderful.
    I know, you name it, all kinds of people that do their jobs with horses and do them well, are careful and considerate.

EVERY time someone, somewhere is not doing right for the horses in their care, it is a black eye for all of us that have and care for horses.
    Those cases turn the rest of the people out there against our use horses.
    They don't know about horses, but know something is wrong.
    That is one reason animal rights extremists have it so easy, we are giving them fuel for their propaganda.

Humans being who they are, some not worth killing, well, I don't see how we are going to avoid having some abusers that get by for a while abusing, here horses.

I don't see much of a solution to these problems, to try to keep abusers from having anything to do with horses and to keep educating the public that no, most horse people don't abuse their horses.

9 members found this post helpful.

What the hell is going on there? What does the A/C say?

And yes, Bluey, you're right. When a hoarder masquerades as a rescue, all rescues get painted with the same brush. I don't know what the answer is though, unless it's more oversight and registration.

You see the same thing with dog rescue. Ohio's new puppy mill law will force rescues to register their foster homes and do additional reporting.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

From what I can piece together, the sheriff was out there yesterday and reports seem to indicate they will be back today. They are also investigating whether the people who run this rescue are living in what is apparently a condemned structure on the property. The FB page has lots of sad photos on it and a quick google of the owner turns up a lot of mess from her previous location. I have also noticed in the past many posts on the local CL warning people away from her.

People around here are pretty savvy horse owners and we're a fairly close knit community. I also think folks in general are getting smarter and realizing that some rescues are no good - but that doesn't tar all rescues. We've had some huge dog hoarding cases lately but that doesn't seem to affect the good shelters.

Bluey, I hope you aren't suggesting that one bad rescue = slaughter is a good idea.

Yes, and the owner of this "rescue" is claiming now that the Humane Society has been out and found "no issues" with any of the animals or conditions. I'd bet my left and right kidneys that that is a lie. This whole thing is just disgusting.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    From what I can piece together, the sheriff was out there yesterday and reports seem to indicate they will be back today. They are also investigating whether the people who run this rescue are living in what is apparently a condemned structure on the property. The FB page has lots of sad photos on it and a quick google of the owner turns up a lot of mess from her previous location. I have also noticed in the past many posts on the local CL warning people away from her.

People around here are pretty savvy horse owners and we're a fairly close knit community. I also think folks in general are getting smarter and realizing that some rescues are no good - but that doesn't tar all rescues. We've had some huge dog hoarding cases lately but that doesn't seem to affect the good shelters.

Bluey, I hope you aren't suggesting that one bad rescue = slaughter is a good idea.
    No, my comment is that, just as with slaughter and other we do with horses, it is not what we do, but how we do it that makes it right or wrong.

The more rescues are caught not caring for their horses, that adds to all the other someone is caught also abusing horses, no matter where and how that happens.

Slaughter, racing, eventing, wp, those got a bad rap from those that don't know any other than the abuses, now it seems it is rescue's turn.
    All one more nail in the coffin of our rights to have horses, when animal rights extremists have abuses to showcase in their propaganda.

Hope that makes my comments more clear.

Bluey, hoarders masquerading as rescues have been going on for a long time. It's not their "turn". Everything is not about the RARA's either. Give it a rest.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Bluey, hoarders masquerading as rescues have been going on for a long time. It's not their "turn". Everything is not about the RARA's either. Give it a rest.
    I disagree, rescues being rather new to horses.

Before rescues, horses were sent to auction, hoarders were less common and just that, hoarders, not rescuing from anything.

I was part of the first rescues we had here and they were strictly sheriff seizures and those of us that took the horses in to rehab and then the sheriff either auctioned them or were sent to an auction, if no one else stepped in to give them a home.

Only in the past few of decades or so rescues have an identity of their own and even more recent some have sprung that are becoming a wannabe trader's heaven, with others paying the bills for their horse fix.

Yes, every case as this one can and should be discussed in all manners those bring forth, so we can learn from them and hope to educate others, so they don't fall into those circumstances.

Seems that the neighbors already knew about that?
    Why could they not have done something before some horses were dead?
    Now, that is not a real question, there are always good reasons, but it is still sad that it came to that, yet again.

Have you looked at the facebook page the OP listed? It sounds like the neighbors have been trying to get something done.

Let's not derail this thread too...let's try to get some help to the horses in this horrible situation.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Have you looked at the facebook page the OP listed? It sounds like the neighbors have been trying to get something done.

Let's not derail this thread too...let's try to get some help to the horses in this horrible situation.
    Oh, I didn't realize this thread was to get the horses help only, not to discuss what is happening.
    Ok, carry on.

That second news report doesn't look so bad as the first. First claimed dead animals not removed and second claimed poor care.

Is it ethical for a rescue to euth a downed animal by gunshot prior to calling a vet? Is it OK if it's posted policy? What kind of organization is this - somebody calling themselves a rescue or a group effort with a BOD etc etc. I sure can't tell from here in KY whether it's good or bad but I'm curious.

ETA that Hopeless Horses page on Fb - what they show is pretty bad. Dates people. Dates, times, firm ID of horses even if it's #1 and #2 etc., document document. Healthy looking horses coming in and losing condition, give them a clear ID and keep track of the condition loss. Once a week, date the pic, try to make sure any identifying marks are clearly visible in the photos so it's easy to see this is the same horse.
    And really the health department probably has something to say about carcass disposal too.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Feb. 13, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Guidestar info, pretty scant:

http://www.guidestar.org/organizatio...ecommendations

In spite of certain folks thinking that there are people around every corner just waiting for the merest excuse to seize your horses, in this area we have the opposite problem. If there is food and water, no matter how bad the horses look, they cannot take action. So it is quite common that these kinds of problematic folks have a bit of hay and some water on hand when the authorities show up. That's enough to prevent a seizure.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Guidestar info, pretty scant:

http://www.guidestar.org/organizatio...ecommendations

In spite of certain folks thinking that there are people around every corner just waiting for the merest excuse to seize your horses, in this area we have the opposite problem. If there is food and water, no matter how bad the horses look, they cannot take action. So it is quite common that these kinds of problematic folks have a bit of hay and some water on hand when the authorities show up. That's enough to prevent a seizure.

That's pretty typical here too. I had a friend report my neighbor...he didn't even get a slap on the wrist. You could see all the ribs, the spine and the hip bones. There were 10 mares with foals by their side in a 1 acre paddock with no grass and no hay.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Is it ethical for a rescue to euth a downed animal by gunshot prior to calling a vet? Is it OK if it's posted policy?
    This has nothing to do with rescue, but I know a number of horsepeople who keep a gun on hand for precisely that purpose. And one who's used it, on a horse who shattered a leg in a pasture accident, and the nearest vet was over an hour away.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

2 members found this post helpful.

The "Leggs" story is pretty heart-breaking. Leggs was "stolen" the day after his original owners were willing to pay $1000.00 to get him back. And she didn't want to adopt out horses? When my smoke detector goes off, I go check to make sure there's not a fire in the house.

On her website http://www.serenityhorserescue.com/

"We will accept any equine which is unwanted due to its owners inability to provide proper care. We do this, no questions asked, except for information about the equine itself.
    We also take anonymous information regarding equine neglect, abuse, abandonment, unsafe or unhealthy conditions. We report it to the proper authorities while keeping your identity safe. Our only concern is the welfare of these wonderful animals.
    We are 100% volunteer run and rely on donations and grants for funding."

From this article (Yes, I know it's from 2010 but did she think the economy was going to get better?)
    :http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...d-economy.html

"Serenity Horse Rescue in Springboro, near Dayton, hasn't received a cash donation of any significance in four months, said Shula Woodworth, president.

Woodworth said it costs around $5,000 a month to care for the facility's 51 horses, the most it's housed since opening in 2006. She said she has applied for seven grants this year but was denied each time.

The rescue's winter budget is looking bleak, she said.

People call Serenity every day to ask to drop off horses, but Woodworth said she's already overextended and can't accept any more."

http://www.ripoffreport.com/serenity...rnet-0fb92.htm

http://www.ripoffreport.com/serenity...ohio-f71c2.htm

There has been a LOT of mess with the "rescue", including a video they posted themselves about how bad their facilities were int the old place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO_m3t_6HuI
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

"Humane Society officer Sharon Carnes says her department has received several complaints about the property since August 2012, but she has never removed an animal due to neglect.
    The horses she observed Tuesday had adequate water and feed. She also says the owner, Shula Woodworth, is cooperating with the investigation."

Sharon Carnes has helped cover this up since Shula moved to the new location back in the fall of 2012. And yes, Shula keeps hay and some bags of feed under a tarp, "just in case".

Hundreds of pictures have been taken, IIRC, they were also dated.

There was another FB page up for some time with a whole lot more info. But it was taken down after the ones posting started to feel threatened.

Just another hoarder who lets horses die and/or shoots them and then just replaces them with new ones (the 'healthy' looking ones in the media video).

She was evicted from the prior location. That is probably going to happen here as well.

Shame on the authorities for never doing their jobs.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Many of the horses on the "adopted" page can instead be seen either starving or dead in the Facebook albums

Wow...call the building inspector...bad wiring...yikes!