The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Peroneus Tertius Rupture- any advances in treatment?

My gelding is diagnosed with a rupture of the Peroneus Tertius tendon.... My barn turned him out in a pasture with an enormous sheet of ice running across it and he apparently slipped quite badly on it.... Right now have complete stall rest, bute 2x a day. Vet wants to wait a week or so and let him get a little more comfortable to ultrasound it and get a better idea of what we're looking at. In the meanwhile, I'm reading everything I can find on it....

Searched on here and found some pretty old threads. Wondering if any advancements have been made in terms of treatment since then? So far,I find no reference whatsoever to any sort of surgical treatment. Wondering if anyone has dealt with this injury a little more recently. Is the standard treatment still "Stall Rest, and nothing but" and hope it works out? My vet is consulting with Rood & Riddle while he's down there this week and I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say, but also want to start looking around a little myself, and will be looking at second opinions, etc... once we get the ultrasounds done...

As far as I know, stall rest is still all that is required. They tend to do very well but you need to give it the time it needs.

There was a pretty recent thread as of last year on here that tracked the horses progress through videos. Amazing recovery. I am sure it would come up on a search. I would message the owner and ask what all the did.

Here ya go: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...rtius-ligament

Ahhh... figured out I somehow resorted things while viewing on my phone so I saw the old stuff first... Lotsa reading material.

Yep, btdt and replied a lot on that thread

The MOST important thing you want to find out, sooner rather than later, is if there is hock bone involvement, as in, did the detatchment involve pulling any bone off the hock. If not, prognosis is pretty darn good

my old barn had two horses that had that injury = one horse managed to do it twice and the other one time - both recovered fully on stall rest -not sure how long they were in the stalls thinking maybe 3 months but could've been longer - both were brought back relatively slowly too

We had a coming three year old do this in Dec., 2011. We took her to the UTenn. Large Animal Clinic. They gave us a program that was based on the liberal use of Tincture of Time. As we all know that is THE most difficult medicine to manage and use.

The filly recovered nicely and went under saddle in 2012 without issue.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão