The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default shoulder replacement surgery:anyonehave it done?

I need my shoulder joint replaced. Bad enough that meds or PT will not help it and I am ok with getting it done, it is just the timing. Anyone have it done and how long before you were back in the saddle? I am debating on having it done right away or waiting until after show season.

I just asked the same thing about hip replacement and was helpfully re-directed by my Forum friends to the "Disabilities" page; there I found lots of information. So you might re-post over there.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I had a 4-part humeral fracture and was given the option of replacement or repair. I did the repair, but was told that replacement would have put me out of the saddle for 3-4 months. I almost wish I'd gone with it instead of the pins/screws/months of PT! Good luck! I may need a replacement some day so your tale is of interest to me.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I talked to the nurse and she told me two weeks in a sling then 3 months of not lifting things much heavier than a cup of coffee, which includes lifting one's self into the saddle, or in fact, lifting a saddle! So, this will need to wait until fall! Motrin here I come!

It takes 1 year for the shoulder to heal completely after total shoulder replacement,weeks and weeks of post-op therapy