The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update on boarding situation...yay for COTH!

A few weeks ago, I posted about a situation where the BO was out of town (again) and there was a boarder in charge of care who was kind of falling down on the job (again).

No water for the horses, horses not being brought in as the BO said they were going to be during bad weather, etc.

Well, I did stick it out and made sure that the critters had water til I knew BO was coming home (3 hours minimum driving/work per day) but I did move Miss Mare as well.

Because of COTH, I had a great deal of recommendations and had talked to a great number of barns in the surrounding area over the previous month(s). But, a fellow COTHer offered me a great situation so we moved a few weeks ago.

My girl is so danged happy, it just makes me smile. When I went out yesterday I found her practically asleep with her head in the hay hut--not eating but by gosh, near the food. LOL Standard for the Fatty Mc Fat Fat.

She has a herd of ponies and a mini donk to look over and she's happy as a clam.

I was quite ill this last week and couldn't get out for a few days but this time (unlike the last few months) I wasn't worried a bit. I knew that everything was fine.

She is getting stellar care, she is well liked by BO and she's generally having a lovely time. Every time I go out, she's all "Oh you? What do you want? Ride me or feed me or scratch my itchy spots else leave me alone." Back to her normal self.

It is SO nice to have your horse somewhere as a boarder where you never. have. to worry.

Since moving my horses from home about 12 years ago and having to board, I've only had my horse(s) at 3 place including now where I didn't have to worry. It's an AMAZING feeling and I hope that others find such places themselves. (I can recommend a place in mid-MI that I was very pleased with if you have a horse in training)

So, thank you COTH! Couldn't have done it w/o you all. And FWIW, many of the places you all recommended were totally awesome, just full with waiting lists. That speaks highly too.

It's pretty neat to know that you can get on a forum like this and find real solutions.

Now if the weather would just cooperate....perhaps I could ride a little more!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

20 members found this post helpful.

Excellent! So glad you can relax now.

I soooo feel you...I have been boarding for the last 40 years all across the country and can only think of 2 farms which were truly worry free. Some were oh so close...but not 100%. It is a rare and wondrous thing! Congratulations!

Default It does make a difference

Since I'm still on rehab from two shoulder surgeries in the last two months, my horses are with Cathy Weischoff in Lexington. I have had zero worries the last two months. And that is a very big deal.

It IS a big deal to not worry! Glad you guys are finding similar solutions. It's a great thing!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Yay BR! I'm so, so happy that you were able to find a great situation.

Whoop!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

And this is why I drive 70 miles round trip to ride my horse. He lives at my friend's barn, and I know that he's getting the absolute best of care. The peace of mind makes all the driving worth it.

Glad your horse is so happy!
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Been in your shoes. Was 10 minutes to the barn from he**.

Now it's 17 miles each way, but somehow, the sun is always shining more often, or more brightly on those trips to the barn.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

That's why my girl has been with the same BO (at two different barns, now her own) for the past 10 years. I never ever worry.
    Plus she is their longest boarder... they know her very very well and she knows them. I don't worry at all.
    Actually, the first 3 years we had our mare, we did not worry either, but the atmosphere was not as relaxing. But she had the food she needed at all times!

Great news! Glad you can finally relax knowing your mare is happy and well cared for!

Excellent news! I know how you feel. I keep my guys at home, but every winter we move at least one horse to a barn with an indoor so that we (we being my daughter and I) can keep riding. One place called my gelding a "finicky f&*k" and he had no water while turned out. We only stayed there for short time. Another place, well, I showed up one day and went into the tack room. I could hear a major fit happening in a stall, by the barn owner. I peeked out of thetack room and there she was, leading my mare out. I guess the screaming fit was aimed at my mare during her blanketing for turnout routine. This mare subsequently became a cribber after the 4 months at this barn. Now, we have one horse at a friends boarding stable, and I never worry one bit about the care, or the feeding programme.
    It sure does feel good knowing your horses are safe, sound, and happy!
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Oh I'm so glad this worked out! What a blessing
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

SO happy to hear that everything worked out!! it is wonderful knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that your horse is being well cared for even when you aren't there.