The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CM Hadfield saddles- Updated post 15

I'm looking into buying a CM Hadfield saddle and I'm wondering what the quality of the saddles are like. Just curious if anyone has owned or used one before. I'm also wondering what's the going rate for the saddles used. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by GucciJumper; Mar. 8, 2013 at 08:24 PM.

Anyone?

Granted, it's been a long time since I've shopped there, but I didn't even know they made saddles. I have one of their bridles which is absolutely beautiful and has held up very well for the 14 years I've had it (although I can't say the same for the rubber component on their reins - will likely get them re-rubbered if I ever return to jumper land). That said, it was what I consider very expensive - about $400 or so for bridle and another $250++ for the reins. I think their stuff is to-die-for gorgeous but you are definitely paying for a name. I'm sure the quality is more than fine but you will be just as well off going with one of the many other used high end saddles that are more readily available. Pick what fits you and your horse.

If they have the same quality as their bridles, they will be nice. I've never seen one in person though. Can you take the saddle on trial to see if you like it?
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I had one. They are handmade by Jeremy Rudge in England http://jeremyrudgesaddlery.co.uk/ Lovely saddles! I got mine off ebay. I bought it because it was a bargain and resold it for the same dollar to a young friend. She was moving to the DC area after grad school to start up her career. She said that the saddle bought her instant credability when she walked into places with it (she leased a horse while she was there). And, notably, it 'fixed' all of her position issues! Ah!mazing what a correctly made saddle can do for you.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

When I've ridden in Hadfield saddles, I've found them to be very comfortable and very well made out of excellent materials. The workmanship was of the highest quality.

I have one. Bought it used about 3 years ago, not sure how old it was then but it's still in beautiful condition. I'm actually considering selling mine if you want to PM me and discuss prices, it might work better for you than the one you're considering! It's a great saddle. It's very comparable with other high end saddles. Everyone that's sat in it loves it It has only recently shown signs of wear, on the underside where the flaps meet the panels the threads/string has come apart. Still completely functional and a great saddle otherwise.
    owned and loved by a crazy TB mare

This one is priced at $400 so it seems a steal of a deal to me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GucciJumper View Post
    This one is priced at $400 so it seems a steal of a deal to me.
    definitely a steal!! I say go for it
    owned and loved by a crazy TB mare

Well my mom went and got it. (It was in the state where she lives) and now I just have to wait for it to get shipped here. My mom said it was nice but needed a little tlc. Bonus is she already cleaned it for me

Actually they are pretty nice saddles with a lousy re-sail value, for some reason. If you find one, grab it! Kind of ugly, but pretty darn nice- the JR ones, anyway

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...ps50021980.jpg

Here it is. It's an older one that needs conditioning. The old owner just left it sitting in the barn and never used it or cleaned it for awhile.

If it's in one piece and you paid $400 for it, you got a great deal! It looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    If it's in one piece and you paid $400 for it, you got a great deal! It looks nice.
    Agreed

Well I got the saddle. It is a Gel-Ride saddle from Hadfield and about 20 years old. Unfortunately it does not fit my horse. It fits me perfectly, but doesn't fit my horse. I am really bummed. I also took it to my local consignment and was told I would be lucky to get $250 for it. has anyone ever seen these up for sale at all so I can get a reasonable price on this saddle?

That's a bummer! Sorry to hear it.

In what way does it not fit your horse?