The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Allow me a moment to share a truly great article that can apply to Eventing.

As has been well discussed, I am spending more time in the jumper world. I know it's not for everyone and I am not suggesting a mass exodus from the world of water jumps, air vests, and dressage coefficients.

However I see stuff floating around the H/J world and I can see practical applications for eventing. With that in mind I suggest you read this cool article. It's Ben Maher's tips for a winning jump off. Now how would that apply. Well it's simple... our cross country courses are run against a clock. Now of course we're not running for as little time but the merits to his statements hold. A horse does best with 3 straight strides before the fence or question. That gives a horse time to comprehend the obstacle's challenge and take it on. Slicing a line closer than 3 straight strides is a dicey proposition, and while you can get away with it, it's a matter of time before you won't.

When I was rising from Prelim to Int I was taught to ride my xc a bit on tighter turns, and less pull back, balance, kick and go. It was more geared to let the horse learn to adjust themselves and let them balance at a higher rpm, balance on approach and go. I will fully disclose this was '94-97. None of the technicality we see today was in existence then. Some ABC elements, but certainly not 4 such complexes on one course.

Please have a read. Ben is on a roll right now and seems (from the various interviews and articles I have read) to be a nice horse guy.

http://www.noellefloyd.com/ben-maher...ng-a-jump-off/

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Very good article, clear and concise. Thanks!