The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I ride after hip replacement?

Facing the inevitable. Tell me about getting back in the saddle after hip replacement surgery. I ride my horse 5 days a week; usually flatwork 3 of those days and then gymnastics one day and schooling over courses another day. Local showing 8-9 times a year. Otherwise in pretty good shape and quite active, considering that I do have a more-than-full-time career, too. Who's been through this????

I know a girl that was riding about 4-6 weeks after hip replacement - you should post on the disabilities board - you will find lots of good information!

My aunt had hip-replacement surgery. Riding for her was torture before and now she can ride a lot longer without pain. She rides endurance.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Search on here--there have been several very informative threads (check the Disabilities board). Do your PT, listen to your surgeon and you'll be back on in no time! I have a friend in her 60's who came off, broke her hip, had it replaced and was back on in 3 months--trail riding, and dressage.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I hunted for several years with a woman who had a hip replaced. She did really well altho had given up jumping at the request of her SO. Good luck with it, I'm hoping you are back in the tack in short order.

Yes, I've had both hips done, and I returned to riding with very little problem. There are several threads on this subject on the Disabilities section. I also put info there about how much easier the recovery is from having the anterior approach surgery ( referred to as The Jiffy Hip) as opposed to the older posterior approach. Also, you can PM me if you wish.

YES, I have several friends who have had hip(s) done and are delighted to ride pain free.

Every year the technology for joint replacements improves. You will be able to do all kinds of good stuff, even cross your legs!

I know an older eventer lady who owns two wide horses and has had both her hips replaced. She's just fine

I know two people who have had either one or both hips replaced and ride grand prix dressage.

Default Yes

There are several threads on the subject

Absolutely you can ride again. I had one done about 5 years ago when I broke a hip in a fall. I was riding in 3 months (doctor's orders to wait that long!) No problems at all. I'm 62 and still jumping & showing.

Check with your surgeon !!! There are many variables due to type of prosthesis, bone strength etc. My surgeon has told me no way. (Hip replacement 4 mths ago) My surgery was technically tricky, bone not of great quality. I am now the groom.

Got my new hip about 3 years ago. Was in absolute agony before, out of pain the day after surgery. It is a miracle!
    Anyway I ride daily, many times more than one horse. My doc originally said 12 weeks but seeing me at 6 said go for it. Only trick was it was my right hip so I got on from the off side for awhile, just to be careful. Never have had a problem since.
    The best advice I can give you is be in the best shape you can be when you go in for surgery. It really helps to be trim and fit. You will recover easily and quickly. Good luck! and feel free to PM me if you need any more encouragement
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

I'm 12 weeks out today! I hopped on bare back on my 6 week anniversary and did wtc fine . After that I developed a nasty post op infection that required surgery (kept the original hardware though, so far). I started riding again 3 weeks after that. My surgeon wanted me to wait 12 weeks then three months of riding in a "controlled environment". I'm only upto 15 minutes each on my two horses (so 30 minutes with a break), but that's really due to the complications and subsequent lack of strength. I'm 25 by the way, so the probably the youngest on this board! Riding is already way better!!

Total hip replacement patient's are not allowed to flex their hips 90 degrees or more. This is the bend in the hip when you are seated(in a chair,on a horse) for a period of 8-10 weeks. This is because the ligaments and tendons cut to replace the hip are weakened and the hip can pop out. If you are fortunate enough to have a surgeon who can replace the hip via less invasive surgery the restriction is far less. Please follow the directions of the orthopedic surgeon. I have seen far too many patients who do not follow the orthopods instructions and are restricted for a far longer time period after hip revision surgery.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Jiffy Hip (anterior approach as opposed to the older posterior approach) has much fewer post-op restrictions, much less post-op pain, and a much quicker recovery time. I've had both approaches done and could not believe how much different and better the newer way is. People come from all over the country to have the surgery with "my" surgeon. He is one of the pioneers of the Jiffy Hip and goes all over the place teaching other surgeons how to do it.

I am a 59 yo AA hunter/equitation rider that is facing bilateral hip replacements.. Some orthopedic surgeons dont approve of jumping after THR. Yet there are posts out there that it is OK.. Tell me it is so

Default I DO ! Ride and Drive !!!! You will too ! and without pain!

I ride and drive ``` horses and ponies every day !

THR 1-17-05 .........have never looked back !

You will love your painfree rides !

* most wonder why they hesitated or waited as long as they did
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

There's a guy in my area who's around 65 and has had two hip replacements. I still see him riding at shows occasionally!