The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I don't use any hoof care products...

As far as I'm concerned, my horse has great feet. He doesn't wear shoes and lives out 24/7. Besides routine trims and some thrush buster once and awhile during the mud season, I leave his feet alone. No supplements, conditioners, oils, nuttin'

...am I doing my horse a disservice? SHOULD I be doing more for his feet?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

No. Honestly my horse has shoes because he needs them and gets hoof packing after a big event, but I don't use anything else on them unless he gets thrush. No dressings as I don't think they work. No feed through supps because waste IMO. If he could be sound without shoes, he would be barefoot but alas he is not.

I had a couple of horses for a while that just needed front shoes. How much cheaper.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

That is how my two horses are kept and one of them fox hunts twice a week. Don't let the companies who sell all those hoof care products and supplements know this.

2 members found this post helpful.

Shhhhh...you're tempting the hoof gods.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Shhhhh...you're tempting the hoof gods.
    I know, right?

Seriously, he is the most low maintenance thing I own...by far! *knock, knock* And that includes both my dogs and my car
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

The best things you can do for your horse's feet is good nutrition and good farrier work. I don't do anything overly special for my horse--Thrushbuster when it's wet, Horseshoer's Secret dressing when I want his feet to look pretty--and his feet look great. If he'd hold up to it soundness-wise on rocky soil he could easily go barefoot.

OP, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Heretic. I am guilty of giving my horses a vitamin/mineral supplement and some flax seed. If that is considered a "hoof care product", then I'm guilty. Today was farrier day and out of the 16 hooves in my care, 2 needed shoes, the rest are in great shape in spite of the ice, ruts, and slow growth that we normally see in winter. I was going to get shoes put back on my gelding since he's nearly done with rehab and almost ready to be cantering and working for real. My farrier said "why bother?". So I didn't.
    Click here before you buy.

hooray for great hooves!! All our horses here (13) are barefoot and have pretty darn good feet. My farrier comes about three or four times a year, and my husband and I trim them inbetween "official" visits. I got affirmation at a farrier/hoof/lameness clinic i took one of them to the other night that I've been doing an awesome job and their feet look great. Makes me happy considering the amazing amount of mud and moisture, ice and nasty all over the place out here!!

Same here. The live out almost 24/7/365. Get excellent trimmer care (me! ) and good nutrition. Both have rock-crushing feet.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! -- and keep the $$$ in your pocket
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Ah, the power of nature over nurture My draft cross has the best feet and coat in the world, and I give him nothing but hay and regular farrier care. The one who gets the fancy supplements and regular hoof dressing, with expensive shoes, has the worst feet ever. Same barn, same turnout, same hay. Just genetics. Sigh.
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

Genetics is really helpful as well. My three big horses are all on the same diet; one has *difficult* feet - thin soles, brittle walls and "tag" shaped; she wears shoes all year (glue-ons for part of the year to protect the walls and glue+ nails for winter)... The other two have great feet and go barefoot; neither vet nor farrier recommend shoes for them.

I've had my TB mare on Farrier's Formula and have never noticed a difference. She just doesn't have great genes like the other two.

I don't either. My Paso Fino has to have shoes in front, otherwise he is ouchy. If I could keep him sound barefoot I'd do it in a heartbeat. He's barefoot behind but has to have back shoes during show season because the rules say barefoot on all four or shod on all four. He has great little feet and his farrier has mucho experience shoeing Pasos. If only we didn't have to sedate him for the farrier . . . . .
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Topical stuff is a waste of your money (thrush treatments and the like excluded). If they have good feet, they don't need supplements.

So no, you're not doing a disservice!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I think you are doing a great job

My mare stays barefoot all year with no supplements, special treatment, shoes, etc. My gelding and I foxhunt so he stays in 4 shoes during foxhunting season (the terrain is far too rough for a TB to be barefoot) and then just front shoes the rest of the year (typical TB feet). I had him on SmartHoof but wasn't convinced it was working so he's no longer on that.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Genetics definitely helps. But so does just not buying horses with bad feet!
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Ditto Deltawave... plus proper movement & body rehab can often turn around bad feet that were once proclaimed "genetically bad."
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, my horse has great feet. He doesn't wear shoes and lives out 24/7. Besides routine trims and some thrush buster once and awhile during the mud season, I leave his feet alone. No supplements, conditioners, oils, nuttin'

...am I doing my horse a disservice? SHOULD I be doing more for his feet?
    "If it ain't broke then don't fix it." Anon.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I get horses nobody wants because of their "bad feet". I use hoof products until they're better. Then they stop when their "bad feet" grow out. I have three spectacularly cheap and nice horses this way thanks to the hoof product industry for help making them rideable and sound again YMMV
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods