The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I know, I know, I'm a terrible *shopaholic* horse owner!

Title says it all!

So this all started when I bought a new blanket for my puppy in grey and turquoise. Then I found out there were matching horsie stuff and just went crazy! Bought matching bandages, saddle pad and a nice blanket for my mare. I swore I would be saving it for competitions (and I'm desperately resisting the urge to try out the new stuff) but now I have a dilemma: I only realized the blanket doesn't have the same weight as the blanket the horse uses on an everyday basis after it arrived.

Her "home" blanket is has 330g polyfill, and the new one only has 200g. I cannot for the love of life find a nice 100g liner, so can I just layer the new one with couple of fleece rugs? I have a new one that looks pretty warm (the fleece is very thick and kind of lambskin looking) so could I just line the stable rug with this fleece?

I would never put style above comfort but her everyday rug is everything but presentable and I was really looking forward to showing off my new colors at our next show!

I don't know where you live, but I don't think she'll notice?

Yeah... I'm guilty of showing my love with "stuff" to my critters too. Hahaha.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

When and where is the show? Will she still need that much blanket? I'd put a plain sheet, under it if she needs it. I don't like layering with fleece because of static but I know many people do.
    And don't worry, you're not the only one that ends up with lots of stuff just for the sake of fashion. Currently my 1 horse has...20 blankets. I felt a little crazy when I counted them all.

Uff glad I'm not the only one dressing my horse (and now dog) as if they were my dolls! hehehe!

Temps here have been around 8-10Âșc. She was actually clipped today to I also added an old fleece under her 330g blanket. She has had some trouble keeping condition on so the last thing I want her to be is cold!

The show is March 9th, and the stables she'll be on tend to be drafty, so thats an added concern...

LordWentworth, you're not the only one... last time I counted I had 34 sets of bandages for one horse as well! Who can resist all the colors?

Would the Horseware 100 gram liner work? (link here)
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

if it's going to be really cold on the show day, could you wash the "yucky" one and the layer the new one on top? Not sure exactly what blankets they are/the brand, but some can be layered (in my experience) without difficulty or encumbering the horse.

we have well over 50 blankets here, it's a nightmare getting them all cleaned and stored in the spring. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Alibhai's Alibar View Post
    Would the Horseware 100 gram liner work? (link here)
    This! Except cheaper here- http://www.horse.com/item/horseware-...-100g/E005460/

Quote Originally Posted by JSjumper View Post
    Wow- great price- thanks!! I recently started using the Horseware liner system and am very happy with it so far.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

330gm for -10? thats a heavy blanket for that! up here 300+ is for -15 to-30

back to your regular program while teddy dreams of warm weather....
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!