The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Covered leather, adjustable tree (by SW) wool-flocked. They are generous about shipping demos and great customer service.

http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=160
    Last edited by shrpshooter; Feb. 14, 2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Wrong URL

http://www.pessoausa.net/saddles/pes...ee-roll-468301

I had this saddle (although it came with a thigh block as well, which was removed), and it is truly fantastic! Comfy and sticky. I'm selling it and going back to my trusty old Prestige because I like the deep seat in my Prestige, but the Pessoa is truly lovely.

Unfortunately, they're really hard to find used because everyone I know who owns them or who stocks them ADORES them, but new would be worth the splurge I think. However, if you're a 17" then I've got one used
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    1. Affordable. Under $2000. Used acceptable if Her Highness approves, but that is proving more difficult than planned.
    2. Comfortable. Wide seat with good padding, and front and rear blocks. Would prefer covered leather, even though it doesn't wear well, because I like the added grip. I currently have a medical condition that makes my hip and seat very sore on a narrow seated saddle with little padding, like the Tad Coffin I am relinquishing.
    3. Comfortable for her, too. Squishy panels, foam ok as long as they are softer (she likes her soft panels!)
    These requirements sound very much like my CWD (including the part about the wide seat), why not call your nearest rep and see what they have used in your price range, or else check the French used saddle websites.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    http://www.pessoausa.net/saddles/pes...ee-roll-468301

I had this saddle (although it came with a thigh block as well, which was removed), and it is truly fantastic! Comfy and sticky. I'm selling it and going back to my trusty old Prestige because I like the deep seat in my Prestige, but the Pessoa is truly lovely.

Unfortunately, they're really hard to find used because everyone I know who owns them or who stocks them ADORES them, but new would be worth the splurge I think. However, if you're a 17" then I've got one used
    I would actually be a 17, so PM me if you'd like...

Quote Originally Posted by shrpshooter View Post
    Covered leather, adjustable tree (by SW) wool-flocked. They are generous about shipping demos and great customer service.

http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=160
    I actually talked to them since SW is about an hour from here, but the flap is miles too long for my leg (I'm 5' tall.) All the SW saddles had horribly long flaps.

I bought the Ovation Evolution after loads of research and a trial. I ADORE it, cannot say enough good about it. They're made by Ruiz-Diaz, known for the older, better quality Collegiates and Pessoas. Grippy, comfy, inexpensive but great quality. I couldn't find the right used so bought new. Antares had some I could afford, but read too many reviews about the trees breaking. Ovation has lifetime tree warranty. No regrets on my purchase at all.

My BFF just bought a Toulouse for her big TB who is built like a WB with a wide and looong wither. I believe she got the Jeanine, but I'll have to check with her. She and the horse both love it.

The most comfortable and sticky saddle I ever sat in was an old Whippy. It belonged to a gal who was trying a horse I had for sale. I would have traded her the horse for that saddle! (Alas, no deal.)
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.