The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lesson barns near Chapel Hill?

Hi all,
    I have a 13 year old student whose family is relocating to Chapel Hill. They will be looking for a lesson barn within 30-40 minutes of that area.

Student is solid WTC with or without stirrups, understands basic bending, collection, and extension. Has a pretty decent eye considering minimal jumping experience. Has ridden through some medium sized spooks and mildly up days on generally well-behaved lesson horses.

Student is driven, easy to teach, and workman-like. She responds to tough as long as it is supportive (wouldn't put her with a screamer).

She is used to a small, quiet farm with private lessons and low traffic. She does have some show experience - all local and only on the flat.

I'm in the midwest, so know nothing of this area. Any suggestions you could make on barns to check out or barns to avoid (via pm) would be greatly appreciated. I adore this family and want to make sure they end up somewhere great!

There is a USHJA certified trainer here, but I don't know her personally or if she is a fit for your family. Just a data point. Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

Echo Creek Riding Academy in Hillsborough - Ginny Rollins is great!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

http://www.trueflightequine.com these guys are wonderful, especially with kids.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    http://www.trueflightequine.com these guys are wonderful, especially with kids.
    They might be great but for goodness sakes, they need to edit their "about us" section. The lady's bio goes from first person to third person constantly....made my head spin!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
    They might be great but for goodness sakes, they need to edit their "about us" section. The lady's bio goes from first person to third person constantly....made my head spin!
    I know, I noticed that too! I promise they're great instructors even if their grammar may not be the best :-D.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Savannah breeze farm...two locations, one in chapel hill, one in pittsboro (trainer recently expanded her barn). Tori is a great instructor and very supportive--very encouraging and positive too.
    There's also Macnair's in Raleigh. Don't know much about them myself, but I've only heard good things about them. They're a pretty big barn though, I think.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Cammie Fielding has a great program at Pleasant Hill Farm in Hillsborough. Www.pleasanthillfarmllc.com

She has a huge kids program. If I lived up there that's where I would put my kids.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks so far, everyone!
    Any other recommendations or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Kylie Barrows and Annie Nienaber are great for eventing. Not sure if either do hunters. Cassidy Sitton Reese is mostly an eventer, but coaches a few hunters. Lesley Jenks in Raleigh absolutely rocks the hunter world (imho) and hosts hunter and jumper shows.

There's a Triangle Area Equestrians Facebook page that I'd highly recommend joining. Same for NCHJA and NC Horse News.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Some good barns and trainers have definitely been mentioned. Ginny, Annie, Cassidy, Kylie all give solid instruction. Ginny definitely has school horses, Kylie probably does, not sure about Annie or Cassidy (who is also a bit out of the target range.) Sounds like the kid/family might be a good match for my program, depending on their goals. My website is down right now, but they are welcome to email me or stalk me online to see if we might be a fit. My farm is about 12 minutes from downtown Chapel Hill, just off I40 and 15-501. I've got a fun small group of people, ponies, horses, and now a donkey.

Gah! I must still be in a serious post-surgery stupor to overlook Jeannette. OP--she's awesome and fun and has a barn full of cute horses and the most adorable dog EVER. Your kiddo would likely be a very happy camper at Wildwood.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Thanks everyone.
    Any other suggestions or words of caution?

I would recommend Ginny Rollins at Echo Creek in Hillsborough, but do know that she doesn't give a lot of private lessons. Her local school-age students usually ride in groups as soon as it is appropriate for them to do so. However, she is an excellent trainer and does have some very patient school horses, so I think she would be a good fit.

Default Savannah Breeze Farm

I second Tori at Savannah Breeze Farm. She is a wonderful, honest person and is great with people. She puts a lot of one on one time into her students and does not just run a lesson mill. Her website is http://www.savannahbreezefarmllc.com.