The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Feet feel unsafe in rubber boots--anyone else?

When I wear rubber wellies out to the ranch for inclement weather/muddy conditions, I never feel that my feet are safe. I therefore mostly try to stay away from moving hooves.

I don't wear steel toed boots to the barn because I'd always been told that they could crush & injure your toes. Rubber would offer more protection than bare toes, but is it less than leather?

Am I quirky, totally irrational, or spot on that my toesies are safer when leather clad?

I am still on a quest to find cheaper-than-$500-for-Dubarry-Extrafits boots for kicking around the barnyard when it's wet and gross or I'm too lazy to lace up my paddock boots but might still ride.

Sadly, the Fuller Fillies country boots that arrived yesterday were promptly sent back after I couldn't get my foot through the throat.

I have some mens Le Chameau wellies on order because my Hunter wellies cut off my leg circulation, but I might be too paranoid about having my foot crushed again to wear them at the ranch.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

it depends on the rubber boots...I am sure the professional grade ones are just fine, or do you deal with elephants? I actually never worried about that....

As to the
    On the steel toes boots....if a horse can damage your toes with one of those, they are defective

They make steel toed rubberboots, too....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Problem I have with boots is they tend to be loose. My horse didn't get a toe, but she stepped on my heal as I was taking her in her stall. She stopped when she did, but I kept going, causing me to fall down right in front of her. Luckily, she is a good girl, as it was at dinner time and she was ready to come in. It could have been a bad scene. I was a sitting duck.

I feel unsafe in rubber boots too. I wear them very rarely, only to give my rather large dogs baths and one time I swear I got my foot stepped on by a paw and thought I was going to jump right out of the boots! I'm sure the fear is all in my head but I always wear thick boots around the horses. I have Ariat paddock boots as well as Sorel and Solomon brand winter boots to keep me nice and toasty. Easy to hose off, too!

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    When I wear rubber wellies out to the ranch for inclement weather/muddy conditions, I never feel that my feet are safe. I therefore mostly try to stay away from moving hooves.

I don't wear steel toed boots to the barn because I'd always been told that they could crush & injure your toes. Rubber would offer more protection than bare toes, but is it less than leather?

Am I quirky, totally irrational, or spot on that my toesies are safer when leather clad?

I am still on a quest to find cheaper-than-$500-for-Dubarry-Extrafits boots for kicking around the barnyard when it's wet and gross or I'm too lazy to lace up my paddock boots but might still ride.

Sadly, the Fuller Fillies country boots that arrived yesterday were promptly sent back after I couldn't get my foot through the throat.
    Geez...you're practically my COTH twin. I sent back the FF for the same reason. Plus the quality was crap. And I'm also paranoid about steel toes. I'm very interested in what other COTHers have to say here.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by Hpilot View Post
    Problem I have with boots is they tend to be loose. My horse didn't get a toe, but she stepped on my heal as I was taking her in her stall. She stopped when she did, but I kept going, causing me to fall down right in front of her. Luckily, she is a good girl, as it was at dinner time and she was ready to come in. It could have been a bad scene. I was a sitting duck.
    more socks!

it's beenover 30 years since I wore rubber boots seriously, we had those boot socks, just covering the foot, making the boot nice and snug.

but lately I can't find anything that fits me, I have not even begun to look for boots, though I need them...I mean...I am normal legged, and the regular gym socks cut deep into my leg...nobody had legs that skinny...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Steel toes are tough in winter because the steel holds the cold. A few brands make them insulated well on both sides of the steel so it's not too bad, but they're more expensive and harder to find.

I wear the Muck rubber boots around the horses all the time and don't worry overly much about my feet. They are a thicker/stiffer rubber than just slide-on wellies, but it's still all rubber. The Brit Rider types are pretty darned sturdy on the shoe part and I've been stepped on without injury once in them. Not saying they'd protect against a stomp, this was more of a "shifted weight onto my foot" type deal. But I think those only come in one calf width. And the feet do require a wider stirrup for safety, although most winter boots do.

Hmmm, have you looked into the soft-top types? The type with a drawstring/fabric type shaft might be a good fit? They come waterproof, but I don't know if they come insulated above the shoe. Look for hunting boots for men...actually the men's version of almost everything sturdy or outdoorsy is usually a LOT better/tougher/warmer than the female versions. Sadly even outdoorsy companies still tend to make the female clothing/footware more "cute" in cut, fit and color than warm or roomy or tough.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

The Muck Boot Company kind that I have are actually more protective than my Ariat paddock boots, the rubber is reinforced and really stiff to start with. The flimsy rain boot kind that have a tendency to tear are definitely not as safe/sturdy as regular paddock boots

A neoprene lined rubber wellie offers more protection than a leather boot. Ask me how I know ! The problem is that unless you buy the more expensive brands you are not getting rubber, which lasts longer.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I have to say my Muck boots are quite sturdy! And there is plenty of room to suck your toes back should you have a close call, lol. They do a have steel toed version, as well as regular in varying degrees of warmth.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

1 members found this post helpful.

They have a steel toed Muck?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Wasn't there a mythbusters episode years ago that debunked steel toe boots crushing or amputating toes?

2 members found this post helpful.

Just checked out the Mucks on their site...and they have a few different steel toed versions even in the womens! Yay!

They also have a wicked cute model call the Pacy. Comes mid or high. Brown, black or grey. Hmmm.....my current Brits are beat enough that I have a leak in both. I am seriously brutal on my boots but the biggest issue is the electrical ground sticks up right near the fence pass-through (crappy planning on my part) and I tend to catch the ankles of either boot on it all the time. The boots can only take so much of that before they rip.

My tack classics are leaking too. (same reason) I was looking for a new pair, but the feed store near my didn't have the Chores or other lug-sole types in my size. And while I love that the Tack classics' smooth soles don't track bedding all over or build up mud, they can be like wearing bacon-lard on your feet if there's snow, mud or ice. Slippery as hell! I slap cleats on them, but then forget I have those on when I walk into the basement. So I wipe out in the hard surface floor there, LOL!

I hate when both pairs of Mucks go at once, I have a hard time justifying $200 on boots at once. But I do so love them...toasty, really waterproof and comfy like slippers. I'm eyeballing those Pacy boots...
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by future vet View Post
    The Muck Boot Company kind that I have are actually more protective than my Ariat paddock boots, the rubber is reinforced and really stiff to start with. The flimsy rain boot kind that have a tendency to tear are definitely not as safe/sturdy as regular paddock boots
    Wellies do not offer any protection from hoofs. Muck Boots are definately much more protective. Wellies were ment to clean stalls and tromp around in the muck by YOURSELF, not around or leading the horses.

Do the Muck Boots run large or small in the foot? The Amazon reviews aren't really clear, but maybe lean toward "a little large."
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by mintano View Post
    Wasn't there a mythbusters episode years ago that debunked steel toe boots crushing or amputating toes?
    probably...or rather, the force it takes to crush a steel toe, your foot would have been mush long before that!

In wellies I feel like I am barefoot.

How many of you have saved toes by curling them up faster than horse can step down on boot toe?

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    Do the Muck Boots run large or small in the foot? The Amazon reviews aren't really clear, but maybe lean toward "a little large."
    I would say my Muck Brit Colts run a touch large, but not by much.

Yep, the Muck Boots are pretty darn sturdy, IME. More protective than my leather paddocks. I also have Bog Boots (the Rider version) that have a pretty sturdy foot, but the Muck Boot one is even stiffer, I think.

I have retractable toes, or so I say, as I can get my boot stomped and stood on and come out unharmed as I've somehow pulled my toes out of range. My SO has seen the horse standing on the boot and been amazed that I'm just fine. He does not have the same reflexes as me, so used to getting stepped on!

At my lightest weight (which I haven't seen for a couple of decades now) my calves were in the WWW(W?W?) category so when I endorse Muck boots for both foot AND calf comfort, you know it's coming from a credible source. The neoprene-ish upper not only stretches to fit, it supports -- like having a stationary leg massage. The only time it's NOT good is when a wrinkle of jeans/sweats/long-johns builds up under the boot and all of a sudden you feel you have to TEAR IT OFF OR DIE!! Luckily, that's rare, and usually when I have spent a ridiculously long time in the boots or done ridiculously strenuous activity.

Back to the foot fit -- I feel well supported in the Muck boots. And they do have a nice wide toe area so that the wee digits can move around. I swear that keeps me warmer than any sock -- the fact that my toes can splay and crunch and keep the circulation going.

I did self-care for two, maybe three years with what I call "hardware store wellies". Muck Boots changed my life.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?