The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

She's three in these pictures? Not fair of you (to her) to not say so. At five she may look completely different, have more bone etc.

FWIW, my now four-year-old was very light boned at three, and after not seeing him for a five week period while he was at the trainer's, all I could think was "holy knees! and hocks! and pasterns! oh my!!" A lot can change on young horses in a short period of time; a whole lot more can change in two years.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I am not crazy about her pastern angle either and agree about the neck however...

For a three year old? She looks much less put together by a committee than lots of others priced higher at her age. I think she is going to be massive, she is already a big girl, and while I don't know that her legs will totally catch up bone wise... studies have shown it is not about how "thick" the bones are but the density that makes the difference.

She has a kind eye, and unless you want to breed her I would take critiques with a grain of salt. We can pick everything that takes her away from our ideal on here, but she could give a totally different impression in person. I don't think she looks bad, especially for the money, and these pictures make me think she is pretty quiet and she has a kind eye. I would check her out and see how she moves/what she really looks and acts like in person. As others said, these photos are unflattering and not taken very well.

1 members found this post helpful.

The pictures absolutely do us no good in making an assessment. A few have mentioned that the fault lies in the handler not setting the horse up right. Well, that'd be nice - but many track TBs are not taught to stand up for conformation shots. That said, a good photographer would: 1) make some basic suggestions about the ideal stance so the handler could at least TRY to get close; 2) suggest where handler should stand; and 3) MOVE to get as correct an angle as possible (said particularly for the rear shot).

I realize these were not pro shots - and for this situation, pro wouldn't be called for. But even quick grabs with P&S or cellphone can be done to get effective pictures.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Thanks guys, yeah I realized that they were three year old pictures and I should probably mention that after the fact. I think I may pass on her because she's quite a ways aways anyways. Still looking for that good prospect and starting to lose hope! There really is almost nothing for sale around here at this time.

Where do you live, Horsenic?
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

I live in Calgary, AB. Not a huge racing sector of the world :P

Quote Originally Posted by horsenic View Post
    I live in Calgary, AB. Not a huge racing sector of the world :P
    You're only an hour away from Harvey Cole! He's the vet who handles breeding Lanciano. He is very nice to talk to, and last time I spoke with him he had several get of Lanciano or other interesting Thoroughbreds that were potentially for sale. Call him up!

http://www.abvma.ca/directory/practi...ile.asp?ID=729

Lanciano: http://www.pedigreequery.com/lanciano

Oh perfect thanks a bunch for the tip! I'll give him a call tomorrow!

Don't worry horsenic - the might enablers of COTH will find you a horse in no time! And for any location. Esp if TB or OTTB is in the mix.

Keep the peanut gallery posted pretty please. And enjoy your search!