The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A filly for Rachel Alexandra!

Very cute. I saw someone suggest they name her "Almost a Valentine". Thought that was a cool naming suggestion.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

2 members found this post helpful.

That's a great name suggestion. Stonestreet usually does a really good job with names, picking classy catchy names that have meaning to them. They caved to popular opinion and chose the cheesiest least original My Little Pony name ever for her first foal, but I'm hopeful they'll keep control of the process on this one and choose a more dignified name for foal #2. Particularly if they think she'll make a racehorse.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    That's a great name suggestion. Stonestreet usually does a really good job with names, picking classy catchy names that have meaning to them. They caved to popular opinion and chose the cheesiest least original My Little Pony name ever for her first foal, but I'm hopeful they'll keep control of the process on this one and choose a more dignified name for foal #2. Particularly if they think she'll make a racehorse.
    I have to agree about the 1st foal's name If he does any good on the track with that moniker, I'll eat my hat (as long as it's made of chocolate, or cheese).
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Her barn name could be Tuesday since she was born on fat Tuesday.

Big ole pretty filly!

Rachel Alexandra, by Medaglia d'Oro out of the Roar mare Lotta Kim, produced a colt by two-time Horse of the Year Curlin in 2012; fans participated in a contest to select his eventual name, Jess's Dream.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2KnEeN57T

Apparently the first born ended up with a better name

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    Rachel Alexandra, by Medaglia d'Oro out of the Roar mare Lotta Kim, produced a colt by two-time Horse of the Year Curlin in 2012; fans participated in a contest to select his eventual name, Jess's Dream.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2KnEeN57T

Apparently the first born ended up with a better name
    Oh, Jess's Dream is the name I find uninspired and cheesy. It was sugested by a pack of cultish rachel worshippers, the same folks who are urging them to name this one Rachel's Princess. Why stop there, what's wrong with Rachelsprincessraindow.
    It's not a child's pony-theoetically these horses have been bred to become elite athletes-one assumes the goal is to create all time great racehorses. Why would you saddle it with a gooey name.

There's nothing wrong with Taco as a barn name.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    Oh, Jess's Dream is the name I find uninspired and cheesy. It was sugested by a pack of cultish rachel worshippers, the same folks who are urging them to name this one Rachel's Princess. Why stop there, what's wrong with Rachelsprincessraindow.
    It's not a child's pony-theoetically these horses have been bred to become elite athletes-one assumes the goal is to create all time great racehorses. Why would you saddle it with a gooey name.

There's nothing wrong with Taco as a barn name.
    Heh, you've been reading the FOB thread too, huh? They are also referring to the new filly as "our baby girl".

A plea for a more dignified name this time.

Oh my new gelding is by Medaglia d'Oro!

I agree, My Almost Valentine would be a great name.

I don't see anything wrong with naming a horse after it's late owner. I'm sure Jess Jackson was really looking forward to that foal..

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with naming a horse after it's late owner. I'm sure Jess Jackson was really looking forward to that foal..
    I don't see anything wrong with that either, but I'm with NCrider. The name is sappy, and I wish he'd been saddled with something more dignified.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Taco probably won't make on the track anyway. I have high hopes for this big girl. I hope she gets a really grand name. Come on baby pictures!!!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I fully expect the colt to bomb anyway, so the dumb sappy name probably won't matter (though if he didn't he wouldn't be the first successful racehorse with a goofy name.) I like "Almost a Valentine" for this one!

Just read that Rachel is recovering from surgery to deal with a bruised colon.her filly was put with a nurse mare

"I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Why have there been statements that the 1st foal is going to bomb on the track? Does he have two heads and can't decide which way to run?

Prayers for RA. I hope she pulls through.

I hope she does too. It is so sad and so scary. Jingles....

Names aside - dumb or otherwise - I do hope she will recover without issue.

http://www.drf.com/news/rachel-alexa...-complications

The condition of 2009 Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra was termed "serious" on Wednesday night following surgery related to foaling complications.
    Her prior delivery was not without some problems to her

Rachel Alexandra produced her first foal, a colt by two-time Horse of the Year Curlin now named Jess's Dream, in January 2012. Days following that birth, the mare made what was termed a "precautionary" trip to Rood and Riddle for pain management. The mare and colt returned home following a three-day stay at the facility.

I was sadly not surprised there was a complication when I saw her filly was 140 pounds. That is huge for her size! I saw an interview where Barbara Banke said the filly was almost too tall to nurse!

if Rachel hopefully recovers it seems like her broodmare career will be very short. Sad that she won't get to raise this filly, either. I imagine she does wonder where her new baby is.