The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,102

    Default A filly for Rachel Alexandra!




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2013
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Very cute. I saw someone suggest they name her "Almost a Valentine". Thought that was a cool naming suggestion.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May. 3, 2008
    Posts
    999

    Default

    That's a great name suggestion. Stonestreet usually does a really good job with names, picking classy catchy names that have meaning to them. They caved to popular opinion and chose the cheesiest least original My Little Pony name ever for her first foal, but I'm hopeful they'll keep control of the process on this one and choose a more dignified name for foal #2. Particularly if they think she'll make a racehorse.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2001
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX, USA
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    That's a great name suggestion. Stonestreet usually does a really good job with names, picking classy catchy names that have meaning to them. They caved to popular opinion and chose the cheesiest least original My Little Pony name ever for her first foal, but I'm hopeful they'll keep control of the process on this one and choose a more dignified name for foal #2. Particularly if they think she'll make a racehorse.
    I have to agree about the 1st foal's name If he does any good on the track with that moniker, I'll eat my hat (as long as it's made of chocolate, or cheese).
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

    What's the status on Tuco?



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep. 1, 2008
    Location
    Concord GA
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Her barn name could be Tuesday since she was born on fat Tuesday.

    Big ole pretty filly!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    land of enchantment and chile
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    Rachel Alexandra, by Medaglia d'Oro out of the Roar mare Lotta Kim, produced a colt by two-time Horse of the Year Curlin in 2012; fans participated in a contest to select his eventual name, Jess's Dream.

    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2KnEeN57T

    Apparently the first born ended up with a better name



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 3, 2008
    Posts
    999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    Rachel Alexandra, by Medaglia d'Oro out of the Roar mare Lotta Kim, produced a colt by two-time Horse of the Year Curlin in 2012; fans participated in a contest to select his eventual name, Jess's Dream.

    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2KnEeN57T

    Apparently the first born ended up with a better name
    Oh, Jess's Dream is the name I find uninspired and cheesy. It was sugested by a pack of cultish rachel worshippers, the same folks who are urging them to name this one Rachel's Princess. Why stop there, what's wrong with Rachelsprincessraindow.
    It's not a child's pony-theoetically these horses have been bred to become elite athletes-one assumes the goal is to create all time great racehorses. Why would you saddle it with a gooey name.

    There's nothing wrong with Taco as a barn name.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    Oh, Jess's Dream is the name I find uninspired and cheesy. It was sugested by a pack of cultish rachel worshippers, the same folks who are urging them to name this one Rachel's Princess. Why stop there, what's wrong with Rachelsprincessraindow.
    It's not a child's pony-theoetically these horses have been bred to become elite athletes-one assumes the goal is to create all time great racehorses. Why would you saddle it with a gooey name.

    There's nothing wrong with Taco as a barn name.
    Heh, you've been reading the FOB thread too, huh? They are also referring to the new filly as "our baby girl".

    A plea for a more dignified name this time.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2012
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Oh my new gelding is by Medaglia d'Oro!

    I agree, My Almost Valentine would be a great name.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2011
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    3,999

    Default

    I don't see anything wrong with naming a horse after it's late owner. I'm sure Jess Jackson was really looking forward to that foal..


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2001
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX, USA
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with naming a horse after it's late owner. I'm sure Jess Jackson was really looking forward to that foal..
    I don't see anything wrong with that either, but I'm with NCrider. The name is sappy, and I wish he'd been saddled with something more dignified.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

    What's the status on Tuco?



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Taco probably won't make on the track anyway. I have high hopes for this big girl. I hope she gets a really grand name. Come on baby pictures!!!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,075

    Default

    I fully expect the colt to bomb anyway, so the dumb sappy name probably won't matter (though if he didn't he wouldn't be the first successful racehorse with a goofy name.) I like "Almost a Valentine" for this one!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2006
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Just read that Rachel is recovering from surgery to deal with a bruised colon.her filly was put with a nurse mare



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2005
    Location
    Some where in the middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    3,482

    Default

    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    land of enchantment and chile
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    Why have there been statements that the 1st foal is going to bomb on the track? Does he have two heads and can't decide which way to run?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2003
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Prayers for RA. I hope she pulls through.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb. 15, 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    7,460

    Default

    I hope she does too. It is so sad and so scary. Jingles....



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul. 2, 1999
    Posts
    17,599

    Default

    Names aside - dumb or otherwise - I do hope she will recover without issue.

    http://www.drf.com/news/rachel-alexa...-complications

    The condition of 2009 Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra was termed "serious" on Wednesday night following surgery related to foaling complications.
    Her prior delivery was not without some problems to her

    Rachel Alexandra produced her first foal, a colt by two-time Horse of the Year Curlin now named Jess's Dream, in January 2012. Days following that birth, the mare made what was termed a "precautionary" trip to Rood and Riddle for pain management. The mare and colt returned home following a three-day stay at the facility.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2012
    Posts
    126

    Default

    I was sadly not surprised there was a complication when I saw her filly was 140 pounds. That is huge for her size! I saw an interview where Barbara Banke said the filly was almost too tall to nurse!

    if Rachel hopefully recovers it seems like her broodmare career will be very short. Sad that she won't get to raise this filly, either. I imagine she does wonder where her new baby is.



Similar Threads

  1. Buy Rachel Alexandra stuff
    By Frog in forum Racing
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Apr. 14, 2014, 02:28 PM
  2. Calvin and Rachel Alexandra
    By Lori T in forum Racing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May. 7, 2012, 12:48 PM
  3. Rachel Alexandra Retired
    By Tha Ridge in forum Racing
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: Feb. 25, 2012, 11:18 PM
  4. Rachel Alexandra vs. Rachel Maddow
    By texang73 in forum Racing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Nov. 27, 2009, 03:47 PM
  5. Woo Hoo!! Rachel Alexandra!
    By zagafi in forum Racing
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: May. 17, 2009, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness