The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin-Off on Cabelas & Rendering Plants

As a horsewoman who will be faced with euthanizing a very large horse within the next few years, I know I will not be able to bury her on the farm property where I board. Digging a hole for my wee 15 hand Appaloosa 7 years ago was doable. Digging a hole for my 2,000 lb, 17.3 hand Percheron ain't gonna happen.

So after reading the ---shall we say "interesting" thread on Cabelas and rendering plants-- I got to thinking "Hmmm, wonder if there's a plant near me that would pick up her body on that day?"

So, let's start a listing of the rendering plants in your area. Perhaps this thread will help others one day, when they see a plant is near them and can provide the service that is needed.

So far in Georgia, I know of American Proteins in Cumming. I'll keep looking for more tho.

Next!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, I had a hole dug when I had to euthanize my old Belgian mare several years ago. She was aroung 17 hands but didn't weigh anywhere near 2000#. She had lost weight as she aged and was probably in the neighborhood of 1300-1500 when she died. The hole wasn't as big as you'd think.

I don't know of any rendering plants in my area that take any and all animals. We do have a "gut plant" that produces chicken meal but they are run by Tyson's and only take by products from their plants.

Default OMG its humane!

Interestingly I found a Human Society list of rendering services nationwide.

Now I am confused if HSUS is supplying the list - do they support the "horse leather industry"!!!!

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...tml#New_Jersey

4 members found this post helpful.

Call your vet. They'll know who provides this service in your area.

3 members found this post helpful.

There are a variety of ways to dispose of a large animal mortality, but burying them is going to be problematic or even banned in the near future.

You may or may not be on the pickup route for a renderer - or if the renderer will come to you it may be extremely expensive.

In some areas a landfill will accept a large animal mortality - they may place the carcass into the landfill whole, or compost it. Composting is being encouraged and more localities are pursuing that option. This is something you could encourage your planning commission to investigate - I can provide materials for you if you like. If your locality can provide that service at your landfill it could be beneficial for your entire community.

Some areas still permit you to leave the carcass for scavengers - though this is extremely dangerous if the animal has been chemically euthanized.

Another option is your state lab - it may or may not be close by and it may have a crematorium - for the cost of a necropsy you can have the animal cremated.

Some folks try and get a crematorium opened where they live - well hells bells the outcry would make you think it is the end of the world. NIMBY people crawl out of the woodwork.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

2 members found this post helpful.

There's a guy in Eatonton, GA that we use.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Lea Way Farms in Statesville, NC. I can post or PM their number if anyone needs it. My horse was boarded in Mocksville(near Winston). They came out, put her to sleep, and hauled the body off at no charge. It was a pleasant experience, considering the situation. They are very nice people.

ChocoMare,
    I took a dead foal to the state lab in Tifton back in 1999. They took care of the disposal after the necropsy. It was cheap; might have been free, I don't remember the $. There was easy access from the interstate and they were super nice. I seem to remember my vet facilitating the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post

Now I am confused if HSUS is supplying the list - do they support the "horse leather industry"!!!!

This is a very helpful list. Thank you!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I'd actually be very interested to find a company that does this around the Lynchburg, VA area. The closest Valley Proteins to me who will come get a carcass is almost 100 miles away, and I know that can't be cost effective.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Default SF Bay Area

My family always referred to it as "calling the knacker". I have no emotional attachment to the carcass, so I have no problem with it being re-used.

Resources for the SF Bay area (although my vet has always been able to make the arrangements - and passed along the fees with their bill)

San Jose Tallow
    408-293-5706
    Pager 408-951-0144
    San Jose, CA

Janice Pementel
    Specializing in Dead Stock Removal (large and small)
    Cell Phone: 925-997-1387
    PO Box 2497
    Livermore, CA 94551

Lost Horse
    Alternative pick up and removal service of deceased horse and large livestock. Including transportation for necropsy (UC Davis) and cremation.
    Bonnie Dilly
    209-772-2842
    Cell Phone: 209-479-2842
    Valley Springs, CA 95252

When I had to PTS my mare my vet gave me a list of places that could come get her, including rendering places. She was not rendered though, she was cremated. I am guessing when the time comes most vets have some kind of resources that they can share in that department.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post

Great list !! I found one that is just 20 miles from my home. It is something you need to know when you own a variety of " large" livestock. I have never had to use the services of one, but you never , ever know.

http://www.bluegrassrecyclingservice.com/

I'm not 100% sure this is the deadstock service we can use, I have to get off my duff and write down the info on the flyer at TSC. I have seen someone on my road leave a dead cow with it's feet tied together before, right outside the pasture gate - icked me out at the time to see it at roadside but hey, it's in the instructions.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

You may find the Humane Society list out of date. They list Baker Commodities for my area and they stopped picking up horse carcasses several years ago. We now have to have a company from Pennsylvania come up and take the bodies.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Just an FYI in case anyone is interested - in NYC, the Dept of Sanitation takes away the carcass free of charge (do not know what they do with it)

Years ago, we had a set-up with Cornell U; our DoH vet offered them any carriage horse who died in the city for necropsy instruction. During those years that this was in effect, we only had 1-2 deaths, though (one for sure, the second I never confirmed)
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

I can't dig a hole without blasting, so I have to have mine picked up. The county will pick up for free, but they have to be on the side of the road. So I use the Horse Hearse in Lexington. $100 if in Fayette County, $1 mile outside of Fayette County. They're fast and careful, can even get a horse out of a stall. I don't know what they do with the body, as far as I'm concerned, when they're dead, they're gone.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I can't dig a hole without blasting, so I have to have mine picked up. The county will pick up for free, but they have to be on the side of the road. So I use the Horse Hearse in Lexington. $100 if in Fayette County, $1 mile outside of Fayette County. They're fast and careful, can even get a horse out of a stall. I don't know what they do with the body, as far as I'm concerned, when they're dead, they're gone.
    OMG that's cheap! I had to put a horse down two months ago and the body guy charged $450 for removal. Nice guy though.

Choco if you call your vet they should have a list of renders in your area.

In Virginia we used Valley Proteins, which picked up for free. They used to make the rounds to pick up carcasses, hides, and cooking fat/grease from restaurants.

I understand in more recent times they now charge for the privilege, don't know what their 'service area' is these days.

In Utah the renderer used to be in Provo and my OTTB went there after euthanasia by the vet (Did have to pay a nominal pickup fee). But the locals complained long and loud about the smell as the area grew in population, and they moved down state. I think they do still have a pickup service but much less frequently, after all they have plenty of resource in the rural area where they've relocated.

What the original question doesn't cover of course is, what do you do if your horse unfortunately dies on public land. Answer depends on the land management agency. I think you are okay on BLM land with just leaving it (of course you'd have to get the deceased of a trail if applicable). But Forest Service does not allow burial and requires dispersal of remains. If you've never actually butchered a large animal you might not know just how long that can take (even with proper butchering equipmenton hand)...

Ironically, while it's illegal to bury a horses in these parts lest you contaminate the groundwater, it's legal to dump them at the landfill (maybe it's lined to prevent groundwater contamination, but I kinda doubt it). And there is a woman who will pick up and take to landfill but I believe she charges a couple of hundred bucks for the privilege.

I suppose, just idle speculation mind you, that a cooperative vet and a willing landowner and a handy backhoe allows one to employ the SSS approach in my area.

In Central FL

Moses Livestock Removal
    352-624-2411

Sir Lancelot
    813-633-6930

The last one I had to have hauled away was in 2008 and ran me $400.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch