The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We have the Equivibe, have put numerous horses on it daily. Mostly for shins, or feet. The concept behind it is related to NASA's routine of rebuilding bone density after their astronaut's had spent so much time in space with no gravity and were losing bone density. Protocol was for returning men to do vibration treatment for this condition. So the equine world had applied this theory to horses. You can't actually tell if it works, unless you dissect a horses leg and measure the density before/after. We have noticed feet to grow faster. But as far as less injuries, not really. We did have one trainer request it for a suspensory injury, strain, no tear. Horse came back to race somewhat successfully. But was a top class horse to begin with, so who knows. The only good thing is that the horses don't seem to mind it, once they get used to it. Jury is still out with me.

http://www.nationalhbpa.com/newsdisp...n=3&key1=12736
    Forward is good

1 members found this post helpful.

DD's trainer had a vitafloor out here for a few weeks during the summer. It made a huge difference in the trainer's older horse with aches and pains without the big adjustments of a chrio. They were not using it for therapy purposes but more as a will this help the horse. Put the pony on there who is sound and hale and didn't see any difference.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I heard a vet do a talk on this a couple weeks back. Basically said the jury is still out, and there really hasn't been much (any?) research done on it.

Odd, considering I questioned their operating procedures after the unfortunate accident and I was FLAMED on here. Funny how things change.
    I don't recall anyone being flamed for questioning them, but yes, when a previously believed-to-be-reputable operation has its warts unroofed, things change in the land of public opinion. Why would this surprise anyone? Before that incident, I had no reason to think these types of outfits were anything other than a sort of PT clinic for horses whose owners had more money than sense. Now my opinion is different. That's the way it goes.
    Click here before you buy.

I've seen one at a TB training center. Looks interesting. I got to go for a "ride" on one. Leaves your legs feeling rubbery. Feels good actually. Kind of like a massage from the ground up.

There is no research to back it up that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    (as is typical) these somewhat soft findings in laboratory studies are quickly hustled into the mass market and sold as "new therapies" before enough is known about actual meaningful benefits or safety concerns.
    Thanks everyone for the input. This has been my experience, there isn't a ton of data out there on the use of this with horses or what the health concerns may be.

I was mainly interested in this for horses on layup (long term stall confinement) as a way of addressing concerns about loss of bone density and also lack of circulation due to standing around so much.

I saw the Vitafloor trailer being demo'd last year and spent 10 minutes in it, thinking it was a gimmick. Afterward I felt really good for hours, and my sore back was no longer sore. Made me wonder if there was something to it, and whether my layups could benefit.

Thanks, and please keep the comments coming.

Well, I think it's safe to say it's not scientifically founded. But if you wait for every decision you make to be backed up by numerous high quailty studies, you'll be doing a lot of nothing.

If I had the money and thought it might help my horse with a minimal amount of risk I would give it a try.