The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dealing with sinusitis

I'm hoping to get some stories from others who have dealt with this issue. I'll try to keep it short!

I have a 26 year old horse who developed a smelly snotty nose last year (unilateral). Took him to the vet who found and removed 2 cysts and one abscessed tooth (took 3 surgeries to get it all out). He had to have a sinus flap done, which they just opened up each day. Nose never really cleared up so took him back where they drilled 2 holes in his head so they could do cultures and flush him out well. Cultures showed aspergillus sp. so he was also put on an antifungal for a month.

He was great all spring, summer and most of the fall. Tons of energy, seemed to be happy with his work.

In December, the snotty nose came back but without any smell. Back to the vet clinic we went for more x-rays. No surgery this time. He was on tucoprim for 1 month and then had 3 shots of Excede IM antibiotics. He had small amounts of intermittent nasal discharge, but looked good otherwise.

This morning I noticed slightly more discharge again, but now it smells! The vet has been called.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences with a recurrent sinusitis, especially what you did to get rid of it! I hesitate to put the old guy through surgery again, but I am not sure what else to do.

Thanks for all your input!

No vet here, but just a thought...a horse in our barn had one-sided snotty nose; dont know if it smelled. This horse was scoped, cultured and fungus found in gutteral pouch. You might ask your vet re gutteral pouch mycosis; it can be a fairly seriuos situation.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I dealt with sinusitis in my mare for two years, but unfortunately it did not end well. However, you may want to try a search of my name + sinus, as I posted on here a few times and comments/suggestions people left for me may help you.

With your guy, I'd recommend re-scoping and xraying at this point to see if you are only dealing with an infection or if the cysts have come back. It is much easier to decide what to do when you know exactly what you are dealing with. (And I know, having been there, how much the diagnostics seems like Groundhog Day, but it does help to have a clear view of what's going on.)

Sorry you are in this position, and I hope you are able to figure it out.

We did x-rays in December when his sinuses started acting up again. There were no signs of a cyst at that time, but we'll see what the vet recommends now. I did do a search, however, and it sounds like recurrences are not that uncommon. Just frustrating!

Sorry - I read right over that and thought it had been longer since the last xrays. So not very helpful advice at all.

It is very frustrating, no doubt. If you want, I will PM you some of the details on what we went through with my mare, because one of the problems we had is that she did not respond typically to anything we tried. So it might at least give you some talking points with your vet.

My old guy had a really bad case about 5 years ago following what we think was a mild choke. I first noticed what looked like saliva with little bits of grass coming out of one nostril. The snot came a day or so later. He was scoped at least once and was on IV Gentocin, oral SMZs, and IM penicillin (not all at once, started with SMZs and worked our way up.) Wasn't getting any better so my vet mixed up an antibiotic solution he called killer red, no idea what was in it and we nebulized him with it. That finally did the trick! It cost like $2, I wish we had gone to that first. I guess he just needed to get the antibiotic directly to the site.

I guess I'll have to google "killer red"!