The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    I think it's kinda funny that so many equestrians think golf isn't a sport...cause I'm sure most golfers think riding shouldn't be considered an athletic event!

Pot, meet kettle.
    Having done both, it's easy to defend riding and put golf down as a real sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    "Curling." Everybody does THAT, right? Looks athletically demanding enough to be the national pastime of West Palm Beach, or possibly to pass the time on disabled and listing cruise ships. Right up there with table tennis, aka "PING-pong" OLYMPIC sport? Now, BEER pong might have potential!

Seriously. Wrestling is a popular and competitive core sport in the athletic department of virtually every single public and private high school and college in the USA, and I'm betting most of Europe and other places as well. Can't say I'm objective--my Dad and best male friend were both varsity wrestlers. But when they put in, as someone above said, "Dancing With A Ball" and the Beach Volleyball which is nothing but a Teeny-Weeny Bikini contest, sum ting WONG!

I think Olympic sports should be, well---OLYMPIAN!
    I've always wondered about Curling as well..
    Table Tennis does look as if it takes some athleticism, and I'm sure beer pong IS an "Olympic Village" sport ,only, not judged...
    I am puzzled by wrestling being out.

I also wonder if equestrian sports might benefit from being out. I would miss them, but they aren't televised in any enjoyable format in the U.S. (Kudos to the BBC for 2012 though!)

If the FEI could be out of things, so much the better and WEG could be "our" Olympics. I realize this won't happen..The FEI won't go away and I suppose , if they did ,something equally obnoxious would spring up to replace it. It doesn't hurt to dream though.

ETA I know 2 (former) Olympic volleyball players (one male, one female), one (male) who won the gold ,and it is not a bikini contest, especially for the men.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    ... and educating the public that we are not an elite sport...
    Of course it's an elite and predominately Western nation sport. What percentage of equestrians come from developing countries? Where's the equestrian equivalent of the Jamaican bob-sled team? Does anyone think a central African nation is going to produce a 3 day team in the near future? Here are the FEI stats for the 2012 Olympics: http://www.fei.org/events/games/olym...vents-unveiled

1 members found this post helpful.

..and as a bizarre side note, as I write this, NBC Sports channel is airing the Men's U.S. National Curling Championship finals...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    ..and as a bizarre side note, as I write this, NBC Sports channel is airing the Men's U.S. National Curling Championship finals...
    Let's all lobby for "Broom Polo!"