The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tricks of the trade: Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil for tails. Works great for horses who rub because of dry skin.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default I'll play

Coat moisturizers/sprays -None - lots of currying though

Shampoos - only one - Lucky Braids (non sulfate brands only - i find they dry out the hair and make it absorb stains faster)

Conditioners - None - comb out tails from the bottom up slowly and carefully

Hoof polishes - Feibings

Brushes/towels/implement thingies -Cactus cloth - soft rubber curry - Flick brush - rags - giant comb

Tricks of the trade -
    -use half an abandoned t-84 clipper blade to shorten an already thinned mane and a plain old goody people hair comb to thin mane
    -for big model classes - right before the class spray a fine mist all over (except where saddle goes if there is an undersaddle class on the same day) with pink or olive oil hair spray. Use baby oil with a light hand on muzzle and ears. Note - Make sure you completely wash off afterward.
    -when hoof oiling I do it long before we show - let it sit to ""soak in" and wipe off or dust off feet just before we go into the ring.
    Last edited by sarcam02; Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM.

In the summer, when bathing frequency increases, I put Pedocan on hooves before they get wet. The water beads and rolls off, and the feet stay nice and conditioned!

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    I had always been taught that currying is pretty important, and brushing in general. What do you do if your horse HATES being curried? I've been dealing with this with my newest horse. He's gotten a little used to it, but I always feel bad because it visibly annoys him.
    What to do?
    Welcome to my world!

Play around with different curries. I finally found that my horse tolerates the Grooma curries pretty well (usually). Jelly scrubber/curries are acceptable in the warmer months, but definitely not ok this time of year.

My horse doesn't really care to be brushed, either, so I choose my brushes VERY carefully (natural fibers only and fairly soft). I also will switch to a softer brush if he's climbing the walls some days.

But, I spend way, way, WAY more time using a rub rag on him than anything else, as that is usually a totally acceptable grooming tool for him. If he's having a really bad, touchy day (usually, the colder it is, the more he hates being groomed), I will knock the big chunks off with an acceptable curry, then just rub on him. He's pretty shiny and sleek, so I don't worry too much, as long as I can use the rub rag.

To answer the OP, especially with the above horse, I try to keep things VERY simple. He has very sensitive skin and gets hives easily from a lot of products and too much bathing. So, this is my list of "Toby Approved" grooming products.
    • Baby oil diluted with water (usually 1 part oil, 8 parts oil). This is similar to the pink stuff, but not as heavy and dirt cheap. I get the Vit E and Aloe enriched stuff, usually. I spray it on, rub it in. Also spray it and leave it after a shower and often before throwing blankets back on (helps some with static).
    • Rub rags. The grey and white ones are my favorite, but I also like "bar towels" that you can get from Target, etc. I don't like them to have any nap to them, so no bath towels.
    • Quality, natural brushes.
    • IF I bathe, Keratolux, Ivory, or Dawn (I RARELY bathe this horse).
    • Vetrolin Shine for daily tail detangling.
    • Cowboy Magic detangler for conditioning and detangling after a tail wash.
    • Fiebling's on their feet for shows, Efax Effol Gel stuff for before showers at home.
    • Quality feed and lots of Cocosoya oil

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post
    Where do you find the good grooming rags? I need a stash for my trailer!
    I buy them at my local tack shop but BitofBritain.com has them, listed under their Grooming Supplies section.

Usually I just pick the tail out by hand. If more is needed, I like the Canter Mane and Tail for detangling of tails and getting manure and other gross sticky stuff out of the tail. I'll spray it on, use a body brush to get it all over the tail and then a fat-tinned comb to comb through the tail.

They only get bathed before a show. Chestnut gets QuickSilver on her stockings and Canter shampoo for chestnuts for the rest of her; grey gets the QuickSilver all over. When bathing, I use my own conditioner (Aveda) for the tail and then rinse it out and finish with Vetrolin Shine. Both horses get a coat of Vetrolin Shine after bathing, with a couple of coats on their white stockings.

For brushes, sensitive chestnut gets the rubber curry with the myriad tiny bristles and a body brush, an Epona mitt if I need to get caked mud off her legs. She hates the dandy brush so I only use it when absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Sooooooooo glad someone else knows the magic of Pledge! I always felt like such a freak!
    I feel the need to go buy Pledge now and try this

2 members found this post helpful.

Love these kinds of threads. Grooming horses is one of my favorite things and I take pride in keeping my horse basically show ready all the time.

I don't use very many "potions". I buy whatever brand of silicone spray is the cheapest to use on tails and afters baths. It makes it easy at shows to be able to just wipe off shavings dust quickly. At home I put it on tails and let it soak while I do other things, then lightly pick out debris and tangles; I like to mess with tails often but gently to prevent them from getting out of hand. Rub in MTG around the dock and base of the forelock to promote growth.

Dandruff shampoo is great for the "crud" (I don't think it's fungus, just little scales) that collects on the front of the hind cannons. Also good for mane and tail washes. Otherwise, I just use cheap Dollar Store whatever-brand shampoo and conditioner. I bathe (full body) for shows, before clipping, or if I just feel like it. None of these events happen frequently.

Hoof oil = Hoof Heal. It was recommended to me by my old farrier who said it prevented thrush. Though I like the suggestion of filling an old can with vegetable oil!

Tools: Love love love my jelly scrubber. I like that I can use one curry all over, just flip to the scratchy side for sensitive areas. Natural brushes really make a difference; the only use for my synthetic hard brush is cleaning blankets and horse boots. Metal curry comb for cleaning brushes and caked mud on thick coats.

Tricks: A trainer taught me a modified wisping technique to bounce the dust out of their coats, especially on their rumps where so much of it collects. You take your towel or rag and gently "bump" and stroke. It's a softer but quicker motion than traditional wisping. Puts a good shine on and quickly dries them after baths.

I guess I'll post my own now! Glad everyone's having fun answering this thread!
    Coat moisturizers/sprays- I always have used the pink stuff. I personally love it and it smells so good, but I've also used Eqyss Marigold stuff that I really really liked though I can't remember the name of it. I'm excited to try the baby oil trick, much cheaper than buying horse stuff. I don't believe in using sort of silicon spray on the entire coat, however sometimes I'll spray showsheen on socks to keep him from dirtying them up too much in his stall. At shows I use vetrolin shine all over because I find it seems to have less silicon than most.
    Shampoos- I have myriad of stuff honestly. My horse get the AgSilver stuff on his socks/legs because he gets gunky if even the smallest amount of arena sand is left on him. Then after the AgSilver he gets Orvus on his socks if they're not too dirty, or quiksilver when they are/right before a show. The rest of his body gets Eqyss shampoo, but I want to try some of the Canter made for Chestnuts. I do like that the Eqyss seems to dry faster than using normal shampoos. I used to use the Shapley's High Shine shampoo before I ran out and decide I wanted to try the Eqyss.
    Conditioners- I normally don't use any conditioners. If I do it's Eqyss's Premiere.
    Hoof polishes- Fiebings at shows and twice at week at home I use a Life Data Labs product that my farrier gave me to use and a different sealant he gave me during baths and wet days that I ride that I'm not sure the name of.
    Brushes/towels/implement thingies- tons of hoof picks with my name written on them. These things always go missing. I have two microfiber towels that I use one for wiping off dust and one for rubbing in sprays.
    Tricks of the trade- spray coat products on while you're still waiting for the horse to dry, if you wait until after they're dry, you've just made the coat wet again you have to wait until the spray's dried. Spray with show sheen and wait for the socks to dry after any time you clean your horse's socks and are going to put them back into their stall, it keeps them from picking up dust. Never take a brush to a tail, only fingers, and if you absolutely need it only use a body brush, not a hair brush.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I love this thread! Great Idea!

Coat moisturizers/sprays: I use Laser Sheen on the body at shows only. Show Sheen in the tail, always. I would love to find a good spray on coat conditioner though. One of my boys has very dry itchy skin.

Shampoos: I use healing Tree Tea Tree Shampoo on the two boys with sweet itch. Then I use whatever is cheapest on the boy with no skin issues when I'm at home. At shows I add Quic Silver on the white areas.

Conditioners: Mane n' Tail

Hoof polishes: Whatever polish is cheapest. I should probably switch to oil

Brushes/towels/implement thingies: I am in LOVE with the Ulta-Mitt!!! It's fantastic for just normal grooming and it's fantastic for bathing and when you're done, you throw it in the washer and dryer and it comes out clean and good as new. I really can't say enough good things about it. During shedding seasons, I love my good old fashioned shedding blade. I love this hoof pick as well. They even have a small one for small hands/hooves or both.

Tricks of the trade: I guess I don't really have any that haven't already been mentioned.

On a different note, can someone supply me with a link to the "Healthy Haircare moisturizer" that everyone is saying they use on their horses bodies?? And as I mentioned above, if anyone has and spray on coat CONDITIONERS that would be great!
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Coat moisturizers/sprays - Ventrolin Shine for his body and the Canter Mane and Tail for his tale. I find canter to be too slippery for his body.
    Shampoos and Conditioners - I always use Ventrolin before the show
    Hoof polishes - I swear by Keratox for keeping my horses feet healthy all year around. Knock on wood, I've never had any hoof problems or even so much as a pulled shoe.
    Brushes/towels/implement thingies - Walmart is my best friend for this stuff. I go and pick up the brightly colored micro fibre cloths for everyday use and a shammy or two for rub downs at the show. As far as brushes, aside from the standard hair brush, rubber curry comb, and mane comb, I have developed quite an extensive collection of brushes (and I am pretty finicky about them):
    1. I have a long bristled brush with plastic bristles that I use to brush off dirt and mud. After I use it, I rinse it off in water.
    2. I have 3 sets of natural brushes (stiff brush, soft brush, small face brush) that I rotate through. I try to only use each brush two or three days in a row before I wash it off. I used to be a professional groom and was told by one of the older grooms that it doesn't make any sense to expect a horse to be brushed clean using a dirty brush.
    3. I have a small face brush I use exclusively for anti-septic, anti-fungal, etc. spray. I generally use this brush on his face in the summer when a fungus can grow from the sweat.
    4. I always keep a bottle of MTG Antifungal on hand and use it on his legs to ensure he doesn't get any fungus growths.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

I don't have one now but I LOVE a vacuum. I was a show groom for a while and not only did they keep the horses coat looking fab, it meant less dust on me! My routine was the following, for horses worth farm more than me:

1) Curry everywhere
    2) vacuum
    3) stiff brush
    4) soft brush
    5) towel rub down

Don't really use anything special otherwise. I realize that the H/J world does it a bit different than the saddle horse world. Still getting the lie of the land.